**OFFICIAL** AT Battlefield 3 FAQ and News Thread

Page 370 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Guys, I am in a clan, Hostile Takeover. We have 8 servers, 1 of which is dedicated to CQ. Filter "HT:" without the quotes, but with the colon. Our TDM 1000 ticket server (used to be 2k tickets but EA capped us) is ranked like 20th or something.

Also, hit me up in battlelog, the name is DaTT78

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I almost caught up to you guys. :biggrin: frickin magnum!!!!

Yeah... the Gun Battle does not favor you if you jump on the map late...

LOL... the gun battle reminds me of the Counter-Strike gun games...

The next map after you and Quantum left I was leading the round till I got to Level 16 when you have to kill someone with the nade launcher...

The nade does not explode on impact... it sits on the ground for a few seconds before it explodes... so it is kind of hard to get past level 16, I was on Level 16 for the good half of the round... I got so frustrated I tried to lure people to my nades in the ground and ended up getting suicides...

When you get to Level 17 you must win the round by knifing someone.. :ninja:. Which should be a piece of cake for you Childs and your ninja skills..:D

Last edited:

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
If your playing CQ right now, find a server and stay on it!

twitter.com/zh1nt0: "Battlelog will be down for maintenance June 12 at 12:00 UTC. Expected downtime up to 30 min."

12:00 UTC = 08:00 Eastern = 05:00 Pacific

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Demize looking for feedback on Reddit again...Reddit

Here is a list of potential fixes for a future update. I've been scouring the feedback from Battlelog, Symthic, Reddit, Twitter and other places. As usual, this is not exhaustive, nor is this a guarantee we will perform these changes. Instead this is a request for feedback from our community. Currently I cannot see any substantial reason to make balance changes the weapons added in Close Quarters. The only weapon that has received substantial OP/UP feedback is the M417, which I feel is working exactly as it is intended: a good mid range run and gun weapon which lacks the long range accuracy of the MK11/SVD and has worse mobility than the SKS.

Additionally, the discussion about aim assist changes has been interesting, though I find that players are mostly commenting on should aim assist be allowed or not. Players have suggested zoom spamming over powers aim assist after the update, however the update only changed how a the assist helps a player stay on a moving target not how aim assist works when zooming. Further more the videos players have shown attempting to show zoom spamming as a valid tactic fail to actually get the crosshairs on target, as the system is designed to only assist the player and the player will need to do the rest. In fact the videos demonstrate a system which accomplishes exactly what it is designed to do. Finally, some players have worried about quick scope snipers using zoom spamming, however high zoom scopes on all weapons prevent this tactic by not including any zoom assist, the player has to do this skill shot on all his own. I recognize this is a hot topic for highly skilled players, and I feel currently the new aim assist settings provide enough assistance to players without eliminating the skill element.

On to the Changes:
  • A number of weapons have had their reload timers adjusted to better fit their animations and gameplay balance. For most of these weapons the gameplay timers were slightly out of sync with the actual reload animation, meaning the player could either fire before the animation was done, or had to wait longer than the animation played. Primarily this is a cosmetic change (around 0.1sec); however for a few weapons (M416, F2000, FAMAS, KH2002, MK3A1, JNG90, MG36 QBU-88, SVD, Pecheneg, SCAR-H, AN-94) this should also improve the performance of the weapon.
  • Short and Long reload reduced: SCAR-L, AEK-971, F2000, AN-94, AK-74, PP2000, G3A3, SKS, MG36, JNG-90, MK3A1, SCAR-H, SVD, QBZ-95B
  • Long reload reduced: AUG A3, 44 Magnum, KH2002, Pecheneg, L85A2, QBB-95, M1911, MP7, M4A1
  • Short reload reduced: FAMAS, M39 EBR, M416, PP-19, QBU-88;
  • Short and long reload increased: ASVal
  • Long reload increased: P90
  • Belt Fed Machine guns are now more accurate when standing and firing while aiming: M240, M249, Type88, and Pecheneg
  • Increased the close range damage of the UMP but reduced its damage over range. The UMP now has a sweet spot in CQB but suffers compared to the PP2000 at longer ranges.
  • Increased the long range damage of the PP2000 to highlight its role as a mid-range, low recoil PDW.
  • Increased the min damage of the M1911 to make it fit better between the Magnums and the M9/MP443
  • Reduced the M93R's damage and range, as it was an obvious goto pistol compared to the M9/MP443. Its recoil has been reduced for a smoother burst action to counter the reduced damage.
  • Increased the fire rate and reload time of the MP412 REX to better highlight the improved CQB performance over the 44 Magnum.
  • SG553: Horizontal recoil reduced to help make this weapon more controllable.
  • MG36: Vertical recoil reduced to make this weapon more controllable.
  • M416: Vertical, Horizontal, and First Shot recoil have all be reduced to make this weapon clearly different from the M16A3.
  • 44 Magnum: Rate of fire reduced slightly to highlight this sidearm's role as a slow firing heavy hitter and differentiate it from the MP412 REX.
  • M16A3: Recoil amounts slightly increased.
  • M4A1: Recoil amounts slightly increased.
  • G36: Vertical and First Shot recoil amounts reduced.
  • The bonuses provided by a number of bipods have been increased: F2000, G3A3, M27, M416, Pecheneg, Type88, FAMAS, MG36
  • Added Burst Fire to the M5K as an available option.
  • Slightly reduced the range bonus added by the heavy barrel on the 5.56mm, 5.45mm, 6.5mm Assault Rifles.
  • Slightly reduced the range penalty for the suppressor on 5.56mm, 5.45mm, and 6.5mm weapons: AR, Carbine, and LMG.
  • Slightly reduced the range penalty for the suppressor on the SCAR-H.
  • The radius for maximum damage of the 40mm LVG has been slightly increased. The overall damage level and range remain the same.
  • Fixed the SCAR-L heavy barrel not increasing recoil when zoomed and standing.
  • Fixed Jets not getting bonuses on Laser Designated targets.
  • Fixed the AUG’s M320 smoke having an incorrectly high projectile velocity.
  • Fixed helicopter weapons being unable to destroy equipment with splash damage.
  • Increased the damage helicopter and jet rockets do to helicopters and jets and infantry.
  • Increased the damage helicopter gunners and IFVs do to helicopters and jets.
  • Slightly increased the damage of the AA vs infantry, AA is significantly less effective than even the coaxial LMG on tanks, making it extremely vulnerable. AA should be effective against a single infantryman but not over powering.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Managed to get a couple rounds in this morning before work. Unlocked the Mp5 after my first full round of gun master. That mode is kind of frustrating because with low player count I often was running around for 5 minutes just looking for someone to kill. Also the jackhammer with explosive rounds is really abysmal lol, I think I had 3 suicides before I killed anyone with it. I probably would have won that round if I could find people to shoot...I think I got lost in some corner of the factory and was going around in circles haha.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
ugh my bothers their wives and kids start rolling into town tonight

I will only have a few hours of playtime in the next week :(

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I don't get why people denigrate BF3 for having good infantry combat. You get to have your cake and eat it too. This xpack just adds more maps like Metro and Bazar which are the most popular maps. There will still be plenty of people playing the vehicle maps when they get tired of the CQB frenzy.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I don't get why people denigrate BF3 for having good infantry combat. You get to have your cake and eat it too. This xpack just adds more maps like Metro and Bazar which are the most popular maps. There will still be plenty of people playing the vehicle maps when they get tired of the CQB frenzy.

thing though is I think people played it more not for fun but to level up faster. Then they must have just gotten addicted to the fast action or are stat whores. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing through those maps if they come on a rotation but you won't find me on a 24/7 2K ticket, no explosive Metro server.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
thing though is I think people played it more not for fun but to level up faster.

Bullshit. You can look at my server history, it's probably 75% metro. I didn't play 150 hours of metro just to level up my weapons. That is what Team DM is for :D

Then they must have just gotten addicted to the fast action or are stat whores.

So you are saying it's not actually fun, we're just addicted to it? And the reason why vehicle combat is the superior gameplay mode is because it's not fun and people aren't addicted to it? :colbert:

I like the CQ infantry combat of BF3 because it very much reminds me of counter strike back in its hayday. I also like the vehicle maps but that is just gravy as far as I am concerned. The main reason why the battlefield series is known for its vehicle gameplay primarily is because up until BF3, the infantry combat sucked balls (although I haven't played the bad company series so my prespective is excluding those titles).

Last edited:

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
I can see where he's coming from. I play Metro solely to level up weapons and get certain assignments accomplished b/c I'm anal and want them complete ASAP. Otherwise IMO 64 player metro servers are brutal and I try to avoid them.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

Exactly, BF3's got a seriously varied roster of maps, which in my opinion is a very good thing. I am pretty much an average gamer, in my old age I am not as hardcore as I used to be when I was in my teens, so I enjoy how BF3 has a bit of everything. If you see my favorites list, I tend to bookmark a lot of the 24/7 map servers, just so if I am in the mood to play a particular map, I can jump straight to the server. While I am not a fan of short range tight combat, it is a breath of fresh air

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I was taking 1.5 hour lunches if I squeezed in decent ticket count round of CQ, with TDm being as fun as it is, i can sneak in a round and stay under an hour for lunch :D

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
I was taking 1.5 hour lunches if I squeezed in decent ticket count round of CQ, with TDm being as fun as it is, i can sneak in a round and stay under an hour for lunch :D

Haha exactly, thank goodness the company I work for is so lenient with breaks.

I prefer TDM as it is a quick get in and out. Then after work if everyone is on, I'll head into normal conquest do some teamwork.

gregulator

Apr 23, 2000

If this was directed at my comment, don't get me wrong, I am of the "to each his own" philosophy regarding gaming. I am glad there is variety and something for everyone. I was just looking for confirmation that this was indeed more of a COD style DLC (which is not for me). Although it does look like I will miss out on some games with people on here!

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Also the jackhammer with explosive rounds is really abysmal lol, I think I had 3 suicides before I killed anyone with it. I probably would have won that round if I could find people to shoot...I think I got lost in some corner of the factory and was going around in circles haha.
You aint kidding about the jackhammer's frag rounds, that thing sucks!

I played two rounds of Gunmaster and it seemed like kills came in spurts. Id go on tear and kill 4 or 5 real quick then would run around forever before finding anyone to even shoot at. Its definitely not my cup of tea, Im glad I placed 5th and got my assignment completed on the second game because its not likely Ill play that gametype very much.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The nade does not explode on impact... it sits on the ground for a few seconds before it explodes... so it is kind of hard to get past level 16, I was on Level 16 for the good half of the round... I got so frustrated I tried to lure people to my nades in the ground and ended up getting suicides...

lol I didnt realize this for like 5 mins. I just started spamming and got lucky. They should remove this weapon from the list.

So for those of us that like vehicles and teamwork.. that this is a good DLC to skip?

These maps are like Bazaar, just smaller with no vehicles. I'd played two of the four maps, and so far they are more free flowing than something like Metro. Scrapmetal is a lot like 2fort in Team Fortress, so its like traditional DM map design. The teamwork isnt all that different than the bigger maps, just everything is compressed. But if you dont like the smaller maps and didnt get Premium, then you could save yourself the aggravation and skip it.

Managed to get a couple rounds in this morning before work. Unlocked the Mp5 after my first full round of gun master. That mode is kind of frustrating because with low player count I often was running around for 5 minutes just looking for someone to kill. Also the jackhammer with explosive rounds is really abysmal lol, I think I had 3 suicides before I killed anyone with it. I probably would have won that round if I could find people to shoot...I think I got lost in some corner of the factory and was going around in circles haha.

lol I didnt know they were explosive at first, so I was trying to use it like buckshot. It didnt end well. When I joined you and Destiny I went on a tear, then had the problem you did where I literally saw 2 people the last 5 minutes. These maps are actually kinda big for small maps. Lots of hidden dead space.

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
If this was directed at my comment, don't get me wrong, I am of the "to each his own" philosophy regarding gaming. I am glad there is variety and something for everyone. I was just looking for confirmation that this was indeed more of a COD style DLC (which is not for me). Although it does look like I will miss out on some games with people on here!

Psh we don't want to play with you anyways :D

Tapatalking on my pos thunderbolt. Sorry for teh typos!

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Well, games change, and people who fell in love with earlier installments in a franchise are rarely 100% happy when it evolves into something else. I've been a BF fanatic since 1942, and to me there's no question that BFBC2 and BF3 have taken the game in a different direction. It doesn't feel like BF2, which in a lot of ways (air power excepted) was sort of the high water mark for me in the series (BF:Vietnam would be a close competitor). It doesn't even feel like BFBC2, which had some maps where the control points were further apart, with more stuff to fight over in between.

It's a fun game, but if I view it in terms of the franchise and my experiences with it over ten years I'm a little disappointed in certain aspects.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
So I think I ran through all the maps...the gameplay is a little too random. Too CODish. I dunno, maybe I should just camp flags or something, cause I'm constantly getting shot in the back. I'm shooting a lot of people in the back as well, but I think I might prefer the "bad guys here, go kill them" style more.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Conquest Domination is a hectic mess! LOL The flags can be captured very quickly and the tide can turn on you really fast. The 5 games I played were all very close nail biters, but thats a good thing.

Played all of the new maps now and unlocked all the new weapons. So far Im not really liking the multi-levels of the CQ maps. However, Ill hold off judgement until Ive learned them thoroughly and have played them with my favorite game type, TDM.