**OFFICIAL** AT Battlefield 3 FAQ and News Thread

Page 349 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Yup, HDD speed is pretty much THE deciding factor in level load times.

Since got my SSD I'm always the first now - and with the new quick start on servers I get to run to the spots/vehicles first...:biggrin::ninja:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Which guns should i be using/looking forward to unlocking as a new player? The only gun i seem to always have a positive k/d ratio with is the DAO-12. I suck with the starting mid-range guns, and i feel like even when i get off the first shot, or even few shots, im quickly blasted away by someone using a different/better gun. Even with the starting sniper rifle, ill hit someone three times without killing them, many times in the upper torso/head. :(

Any other tips for someone coming from COD? I have to admit im both excited and overwhelmed at the level of customization this game offers.

I really only play team deathmatch too, as i feel like i need to be competent in regular play before i try other game modes out.

Hmmm... let me double check... because I have MOH 2010 on a sepearte folder on the HDD and my BF3 is on the SSD... BF3 is the only game on the SSD and all my other games are in the HDD...
well PC will be built this week, so ill have time to play around with it.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Which guns should i be using/looking forward to unlocking as a new player? The only gun i seem to always have a positive k/d ratio with is the DAO-12. I suck with the starting mid-range guns, and i feel like even when i get off the first shot, or even few shots, im quickly blasted away by someone using a different/better gun. Even with the starting sniper rifle, ill hit someone three times without killing them, many times in the upper torso/head. :(

Any other tips for someone coming from COD? I have to admit im both excited and overwhelmed at the level of customization this game offers.

I really only play team deathmatch too, as i feel like i need to be competent in regular play before i try other game modes out.

The only guns you should concern yourself with are the m16a3, M4a1, M249, and m40. Mainly just the M16a3.

There are a few other decent guns mixed in there, but in those classes those guns feel the least broken by the stupidity that is random bullet spread and supression.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011

The M27IAR the best weapon in the game IMHO. The starting US weapons are about as good as they get.

I too was a big CoD player and the biggest complaint I had was the time to kill or the amount of hits it takes to kill when playing on normal mode. I solved this by playing Hardcore. BF3's HC TDM is tops for run and gun play IMO.

Since the last patch the two best perks are Suppression and Cover, be sure to get into a squad where someone is using at least one of those two and you choose the other. Its both surprising and enraging at how many high level players fail to use these squad level perks. If Cover and Suppression are already in use then equip Sprint, Ammo, Frag, Explosive or whatever best suits the situation.

The semi auto sniper rifles suck for the amount of hits it takes to kill, even on HC. If you like sniping unlock a bolt rifle and work toward getting the straight pull bolt unlock for it. Be patient as the bolt rifles will suck until you get that straight pull bolt, once you get it then you can shoot repeatedly without breaking your aim to rack another round. The best way to quickly score points as a Recon is to drop a TUGS motion sensor in a high traffic area, that way when a team mate kills a spotted enemy you collect points. You can do this while using that DAO you like, in close quarters its wicked. See an orange triangle headed your way? BLAMMO! :biggrin: Once you unlock the MAV you can fly it around spotting people or simply fly it to a heavy traffiic area and park it out of sight up high somewhere and collect those motion sensor points and ribbons.

Playing as a Support? DROP AMMO!!!

Playing as an Assault? DROP MEDKITS!!! DEFIB/REVIVE!!!! <----- Reviving is huge when playing TDM

Once you get a feel for the game learn the maps and get used to the weapons there is nothing like BF3. Ive gone back and played a little CoD 4 and Black Ops with friends but there is just no comparison, BF3 has spoiled me. ;)

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

in TDM the shotguns own because most of the enounters are so close

The only guns you should concern yourself with are the m16a3, M4a1, M249, and m40. Mainly just the M16a3.

There are a few other decent guns mixed in there, but in those classes those guns feel the least broken by the stupidity that is random bullet spread and supression.

RPK, M240 is OK, the SV98 M98 are fine too, and L96(both of them), M416

The M27IAR the best weapon in the game IMHO. The starting US weapons are about as good as they get.

I too was a big CoD player and the biggest complaint I had was the time to kill or the amount of hits it takes to kill when playing on normal mode. I solved this by playing Hardcore. BF3's HC TDM is tops for run and gun play IMO.

Since the last patch the two best perks are Suppression and Cover, be sure to get into a squad where someone is using at least one of those two and you choose the other. Its both surprising and enraging at how many high level players fail to use these squad level perks. If Cover and Suppression are already in use then equip Sprint, Ammo, Frag, Explosive or whatever best suits the situation.

The semi auto sniper rifles suck for the amount of hits it takes to kill, even on HC. If you like sniping unlock a bolt rifle and work toward getting the straight pull bolt unlock for it. Be patient as the bolt rifles will suck until you get that straight pull bolt, once you get it then you can shoot repeatedly without breaking your aim to rack another round. The best way to quickly score points as a Recon is to drop a TUGS motion sensor in a high traffic area, that way when a team mate kills a spotted enemy you collect points. You can do this while using that DAO you like, in close quarters its wicked. See an orange triangle headed your way? BLAMMO! :biggrin: Once you unlock the MAV you can fly it around spotting people or simply fly it to a heavy traffiic area and park it out of sight up high somewhere and collect those motion sensor points and ribbons.

Playing as a Support? DROP AMMO!!!

Playing as an Assault? DROP MEDKITS!!! DEFIB/REVIVE!!!! <----- Reviving is huge when playing TDM

Once you get a feel for the game learn the maps and get used to the weapons there is nothing like BF3. Ive gone back and played a little CoD 4 and Black Ops with friends but there is just no comparison, BF3 has spoiled me. ;)

he wont have almost any perks, let alone squad ones, for quite a while

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
gonna look up those guns when i get home, and see which ones im close to unlocking.

What is eveyone using for crouch? When i used to play COD (console), i would sprint>crouch around corners>sprint>crouch etc. Never just regular standing though. left ctrl just doesnt work for me, im trying out caps lock right now, but then i always feel awkward going back to shift for sprint.

I also just for this new G500 mouse with a few buttons to program, but so far i just have: click wheel for stab - kinda sucks, never fast enough mouse "back" button to throw grenades, and mouse forward to change fire mode.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Try the Famas, it cuts through people like no other gun. All you have to do is keep the bullets on target and you'll win every fight. It's just, sometimes doing that can be difficult =D

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Try the Famas, it cuts through people like no other gun. All you have to do is keep the bullets on target and you'll win every fight. It's just, sometimes doing that can be difficult =D

No kidding. I loved the FAMAS pre-patch. Now the recoil is so high it's only good for close quarters or not in auto mode. L85 is my go to assault rifle now.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
No kidding. I loved the FAMAS pre-patch. Now the recoil is so high it's only good for close quarters or not in auto mode. L85 is my go to assault rifle now.

Yea, FAMAS got nerfed hard, though it may be viable in the CQC pack.

Though these are my thoughts about the M16A4/M416/L85.

M16 is good for a new weapon and if you like to spray a bit since it is predictable under full auto. Also under full auto, it will give you a magic HS due to the RD factor. Under suppression, you can still spray and get some pot shots in. Overall, very new player friendly.

M416 is a good burst weapon. It can auto with some accuracy but not as much as the M16. Under suppression, you should still be fairly accurate for 1 or 2 shots before covering. I like it better than the M16 for more med/long shots.

L85 is a good single shot first but it has a funky 3 shot up on pattern (it probably has more of a horizontal shift than the M416/m16). It seems to get affected by suppression more so than the M416. It just doesn't feel right for me.

On another note, has anyone else notice a lot of high ranked players jumping around all the time? I find it really annoying as it looks like they are exploiting netcode interpolation. I wish they would introduce jumping stamina.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
What is eveyone using for crouch?
I use C for crouch (toggle).

he wont have almost any perks, let alone squad ones, for quite a while
Ahhh.......I knew he wouldnt have squad wide perks, but I totally forgot you dont have any to begin with. :oops:

Oh well, save that info for later when you unlock stuff. Of course DICE may patch the suppression effects by then and the best perks may change again. :p

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
gonna look up those guns when i get home, and see which ones im close to unlocking.
In general the US starting weapons are some of the best, like others have said. However you can't use that weapon all the time (when you start as Russian) and it takes a while before you can unlock the US starting weapons as Russian.

That means you have to use something in between, or swap weapons based on which team or you are on. I'd recommend the M416 for assault, M4 for engineer, M249 as support and SV98 as recon. These are all early unlocks for the kits. There's also the unlocks through assignments, the L85 for assault and L96 sniper are my favorite weapons in the list.

Take a look at this site and you can compare weapons/attachments: http://symthic.com/?s=bf3

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Yea, FAMAS got nerfed hard, though it may be viable in the CQC pack.

Though these are my thoughts about the M16A4/M416/L85.

M16 is good for a new weapon and if you like to spray a bit since it is predictable under full auto. Also under full auto, it will give you a magic HS due to the RD factor. Under suppression, you can still spray and get some pot shots in. Overall, very new player friendly.

M416 is a good burst weapon. It can auto with some accuracy but not as much as the M16. Under suppression, you should still be fairly accurate for 1 or 2 shots before covering. I like it better than the M16 for more med/long shots.

L85 is a good single shot first but it has a funky 3 shot up on pattern (it probably has more of a horizontal shift than the M416/m16). It seems to get affected by suppression more so than the M416. It just doesn't feel right for me.

On another note, has anyone else notice a lot of high ranked players jumping around all the time? I find it really annoying as it looks like they are exploiting netcode interpolation. I wish they would introduce jumping stamina.

You are backwards in your assessment, the M16 is worse for spraying due to its high rate of fire and spread decrease rate. The M416 is better for auto fire due to its higher first shot recoil but lower spread rate. The slower ROF weapons like the AK74m or L85 are even better for spraying.

The effect of suppression is proportional to your spread. So a G3A3 with heavy barrel is affected only a little by suppression, while a FAMAS with foregrip would be very badly affected.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
You are backwards in your assessment, the M16 is worse for spraying due to its high rate of fire and spread decrease rate. The M416 is better for auto fire due to its higher first shot recoil but lower spread rate. The slower ROF weapons like the AK74m or L85 are even better for spraying.

The effect of suppression is proportional to your spread. So a G3A3 with heavy barrel is affected only a little by suppression, while a FAMAS with foregrip would be very badly affected.

Strange, I guess I should try bursting more with the L85, I always keep it on single shot mode.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Weapon comparison time!

http://symthic.com/comparison.php?wep1=M416&attc1=None&wep2=M16A3&attc2=None

There's really little difference between the two, M416 has less initial kick, M16A3 has less kick/shot and it's faster. They have identical accuracy ADS or hip, so the spread stuff is out the window.

Looking at the heat map for accuracy both weapons are nearly identical with a slight edge to the M416 on the second shot. I'd go for speed in that case and take the M16A3 for the lower time to kill. Either way they are so close it's really hard to classify one as a better burst or spray weapon.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
The L85 is super accurate. When I was using it my accuracy was like 25% which is aimbot stat territory lol.

Just checked I'm at 25.5% accuracy with the L85. It's amazing on maps with some open space, but on CQC maps you'll get destroyed by the M16.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The L85 is super accurate. When I was using it my accuracy was like 25% which is aimbot stat territory lol.

Just checked I'm at 25.5% accuracy with the L85. It's amazing on maps with some open space, but on CQC maps you'll get destroyed by the M16.

19% for me and 25% of my kills were headshots. Avg accuracy is 18% so it's not really any better than the others for me. Best accuracy is with the AK variants, though that was pre-patch.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
You high accuracy guys arent throwing enough lead downrange.

Bullets are free, no need to be stingy! SUPPRESS!!! :biggrin:

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I found out today, if you jump before ramming a heli with a jet you get the points for the kill.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I shoot a lot, but I hit what I aim at. All those years of call of duty were good for somethings.

I have a few friends with overall accuracy around 18-23% (mines is only 14%) but when we play together Im always at the top of the scoreboard right with and sometimes besting them. Even our KDR's are close, I guess I just burn more ammo to get there. :biggrin:

The guy with the 23% accuracy gets accused of aimbotting in every FPS game he plays. He doesnt cheat he just has an unreal gift of eye hand co-ordination and was beastly when playing CoD4 competitively.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I shoot at everything even close to a teammate on the open maps right after I hit Q

if nothing else it gives my teammates a headsup and a chance for the much closer guy to put him down

with LMG's I spray at them all, esp long range, say if I am by D on kharg and I see a squad moving in against outpost, might as well try and suppress!

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
with LMG's I spray at them all, esp long range, say if I am by D on kharg and I see a squad moving in against outpost, might as well try and suppress!
I do the same, if I can see em I shoot toward em. LOL

I would guess that most folks with high accuracy percentages play very little with belt fed LMG's.

Do the vehicle guns count in the overall accuracy percentage figures? If so that would really help explain why mine is so poor. I spam and spray like madman when Im gunning from the Venom or manning the HMG on tanks.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
I do the same, if I can see em I shoot toward em. LOL

I would guess that most folks with high accuracy percentages play very little with belt fed LMG's.

Do the vehicle guns count in the overall accuracy percentage figures? If so that would really help explain why mine is so poor. I spam and spray like madman when Im gunning from the Venom or manning the HMG on tanks.

yeah let alone the MG on a tank for jeep, or the venom