*** Official ASUS P4P800/Deluxe (865PE) Thread ***

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Lewis133
I am just about to purcahse a new ASUS P4P800/Deluxe board. I am just in the middle of trying to decide what is the best combo for memory. I was going to go with 512megs for now. Should I use 1 stick of 512 or two sticks of 256. Dual channel memory is new to me so I am open to any ideas.
Thank Lewis

There is really only one thing to consider here: do you plan to stick with 512MB of RAM long-term or do you plan to increase this amount later? If you won't increase, get 2x256MB as it will then be able to run in dual channel mode (much faster memory access than single-channel mode). If, however, you plan to increase to 1GB later, get the single 512MB chip now, run in single-channel mode for the moment, then add in the extra memory and run in dual channel later. There are a couple of advantages here: the larger chips tend to cost less /MB than the smaller capacity, so you will have initial cost savings. Also, when you upgrade later you will have two sticks of memory running instead of four (better for heat dissipation, I believe).

Just my $0.02, others may disagree.

ItsMillerTime

Jan 21, 2004
Is anyone here running the p4p800-se? Just wondering if I should rma or exchange for the p4p800-deluxe?

Look 3 posts up for the issues I'm having with the SE.

Need your 2 cents :D

Lewis133

Apr 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply mptimmons.
Can any one explain the difference between buying duel DDR ram or just going and buying say two sticks of 256megs of ram. Do they come as a matched set or what is the story.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: ItsMillerTime
Is anyone here running the p4p800-se? Just wondering if I should rma or exchange for the p4p800-deluxe?

Look 3 posts up for the issues I'm having with the SE.

Need your 2 cents :D

Chances are, you're having problems with the advanced memory settings. You cannot run full PAT at > 200 FSB (but you can run PAT partially enabled) unless you perform some manipulations with the boot block (which will void the warranty, I posted a link to instructions a couple of pages back).

For the memory recommendations. It depends on your desired o/c. The Mushkin L2 3500 or OCZ 3700 Platinum are both excellent, but whatever you go with make sure the memory manufacturer has tested the memory with this board in the config you want.

As far as the RAID problems. Yes, you should get a good improvement running separate channels, though the onboard IDE has some issues in that it communicates using a similar protocol with the primary and secondary (and S-ATA) channels which can give errors. Windows responds to the errors by lowering the UDMA status of the drives. I'm running RAID0 on the S-ATA channels with the IDE RAID disabled to take care of that issue. Not every board will show this problem, but it's caused me a world of headaches.

ItsMillerTime

Jan 21, 2004
Not having any bios config problems nor raid issues. Just wondering if anyone is overclocking the SE. On the P4C, I can oc 10MHz more than on this mobo. Also not sure if 40C is too high for mobo temp; the P4C is about 10C cooler.

sinuuar

Apr 17, 2004
I just picked up a p4p800 deluxe and i can't get it to post with a 2.8E prescott chip.
Anyone have this problem?

p4p800 dlx v1.02
2.8E P4 prescott
2x kingston kvr400x64c3a/512
ATI saphire 9600 pro
Antec Sonota w/380 watt PS

I double checked all the connections, moved memory, unpluged everything expect for the PS and switch, tried a pci video card, 1 stick of ram then the other.

I read that there is some problems with this MB and prescott can anyone comfirm this? I made a call to the local vendor and the first thing he says is "what did u do wrong" WTF I'm not an expert but i do know my way around a PC and built 30-35 over the last 4 years and never had a dead one so I do know about the precautions.

I found a solution that i can't try because i only have this one chip. It's updating the BIOs but if i can't POST i can't get to the bios screen. Anyhoo I'm gonna try to beg/borrow/steal another chip and try that but any info would be great.

sinuuar

Apr 17, 2004
my bad, I didn't realize that I was searching on the Asus page under P4P800 "E" deluxe which all BIOs would work instead of the non "E" which required the 1014 BIOS. It wasn't untill i was cleaning up for the night when I looked on the box that it dawned on me.

vanderStoep

Mar 1, 2000
Does anyone know how the automatic overclocking (AI) works?
Does it:
A) increase FSB (mem speeds etc) and so the CPU speed
or
B) keeps the FSB @ 400, changes the multiplier and so the CPU speed

vcarpio2

Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Kaducii
I just got an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard and the boot time (From when you turn on the computer to the OS loading screen) seems very long. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this kind of problem or if the slow boot time was just a normal trait of the motherboard.

I have the same problem. When I disabled all USB ports on the BIOS, boot up time became fast! Now if I can only figure out how to properly set the USB parameters on BIOS (there are a couple) or which USB device I have connected is slowing down the POST.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
You might try setting Legacy USB support to <auto>, but I've found the primary culprit to be that darned IDE RAID. As an example of the probs I've had with it, when enabled I can't burn CDs past 16X (reverts to PIO), but disabled it works fine. Also make sure the Chipset Utilities are the most recent.

To the best of my knowledge, assuming I understand the question, the auto o/c on the board simply increases the FSB by the indicated amount. Be sure to lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33, or you risk damaging your peripherals (it's a common mistake). You're far better off tuning the o/c on the board using the techniques described in this thread. I'm sorry if this answer seems basic, perhaps a measure of my misunderstanding of the question, but unless you have an engineering sample all modern Intel CPUs operate at a fixed multiplier.

iceflatline

May 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Slammy1
You might try setting Legacy USB support to <auto>, but I've found the primary culprit to be that darned IDE RAID. As an example of the probs I've had with it, when enabled I can't burn CDs past 16X (reverts to PIO), but disabled it works fine. Also make sure the Chipset Utilities are the most recent.

To the best of my knowledge, assuming I understand the question, the auto o/c on the board simply increases the FSB by the indicated amount. Be sure to lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33, or you risk damaging your peripherals (it's a common mistake). You're far better off tuning the o/c on the board using the techniques described in this thread. I'm sorry if this answer seems basic, perhaps a measure of my misunderstanding of the question, but unless you have an engineering sample all modern Intel CPUs operate at a fixed multiplier.

iceflatline

May 15, 2004
oops..., sorry for the mis-use of the quote above... my bad.

Has anyone slapped a P4 3.2C this board? If so, I'm curious to know if there have been any issues.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
I recommend this site (again) for a whole lotta info about this board:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

There's a lot of info stickied referencing memory selection, install issues, BIOS flashing, etc mainly in regards to the Asus boards (P4P, P4C, etc.). I know there are others running a 3.2C, but I think you need a specific BIOS or higher (what it is, I don't know - sorry). I always feel bad giving advice when there are so many at the referenced link who are better skilled to provide answers than myself. The vast majority are great guys.

iceflatline

May 15, 2004
Many thanks Slammy, I'll definately check it out. I have two of these mobos, and FWIW they've ran flawlessly thus far, but with slower CPUs (no OCing). Based on previous experience with ASUS boards, however, I get a little concerned when the CPU I'd like to use is the same as the advertised maximum the board will accept.

Kuznetsov

Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Majtj236
This board rocks........ I've had it for 4 months and can't find a thing wrong.

not that perfect
ive had mine for 6 months
and it gives me high pitch noises from my PSU

jstover

May 27, 2004
About every 4 years, I build a new office system. This time, I selected a P4P800-E Deluxe MB and ATI AIW9600 AGP card. The hardware assembly is completed, but when I power on to try to set up the BIOS, the monitor displays "Please check the signal cable," signifying that it is not getting a video signal.

Here's the weird thing: I have a working system with an Asus A7V266-E MB and ATI Rage 128 Pro AGP card, but I get no video from the Rage card when I install it in the P4P motherboard. I also get no video when I install the AIW9600 card in the A7V system. The truth table reads like this:

P4P + AIW = no video
P4P + Rage = no video
A7V + AIW = no video
A7V + Rage = video

Ordinarily the no video condition from the AIW in both MB's would cause me to suspect the AGP card, but I can't figure out why I can't get video from the Rage card in the P4P MB, and I can in the A7V. Both AGP cards are supposedly compatible with a 1.5V supply, and both MB's supposedly supply 1.5V to the AGP slot. I realize I have a lot of variables to check, but for this forum, I'm interested only in known motherboard problems. Have any other hardware geeks out there experienced a similar problem with no video output from various AGP cards in this MB, and do you have any insights into what might be causing it?

jstover

May 27, 2004
Does anyone know for sure if any specific mounting holes in the P4P800-E Deluxe need to be insulated from the case (Antec Sonata)? I have screws in every mounting hole.

Waterhouse

Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: jstover
Does anyone know for sure if any specific mounting holes in the P4P800-E Deluxe need to be insulated from the case (Antec Sonata)? I have screws in every mounting hole.
I've installed a P4P800 (not deluxe) in an Antec 3700AMB. Used all the mounting holes - they all had metal gound rings around them - none insulated from the case. Works fine.

It's a little hard to imagine they'd build the board such that some mounting holes would need to be insulated.

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Waterhouse
Originally posted by: jstover
I've installed a P4P800 (not deluxe) in an Antec 3700AMB. Used all the mounting holes - they all had metal gound rings around them - none insulated from the case. Works fine.

It's a little hard to imagine they'd build the board such that some mounting holes would need to be insulated.

ASUS tech support's standard reply is that something in your case may be grounding out the motherboard. Doesn't matter which model board.

As a rule, I try to use paper washers, but they seem rare any more. I also use electrical tape to cover any metal standoffs that the motherboard doesn't have a screw hole for, just in case. I have only had one instance that I can think of where a short actually caused a problem, and that was erratic floppy behavior. After isolating the stand off, all was well.

Waterhouse

Mar 11, 2000
I'm trying to setup a couple of 36G WD Raptors as RAID 0 on my P4P800. Problem: when I set the IDE configuration to use the SATA drives in RAID 0, the bios won't detect either of my CD ROM drives in the BIOS setup screen. I've been running with a single P-ATA drive for sometime, with no problem. With RAID on, the CD's are detected in BIOS setup only when I go into the IDE config for each drive, and it says "New device detected, reboot." Of course when I reboot, they're not detected again. I need to have them detected so I can set the CD as the a boot device to load the OS. Anybody seen similar? Any help?

Edit: I took one of my 2 CD drives off the cable and it now detect the one CD and boots off it and I'm able to install OS. Thanks for all your help. :disgust:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Just in case anyone was interested someone finally reviewed the P4P800 E Deluxe version of the P4P800 here

Looks like Asus added gigabit ethernet through CSA along with extra SATA Raid options and 7.1 sound on top of the psuedo PAT!. I'm not sure what the difference between this and an 875 board is anymore --- except the P4P800 E is faster ;)