*OFFICIAL* ACC Votes for Expansion; Big East is Dead *CONFIRMED*

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
:Q Just heard this on the news earlier today!!! The ACC presidents voted by a 7-2 margin to expand to 12 schools.

Miami, Syracuse, Boston College and Virginia Tech have all expressed interest in leaving the Big East and joining the conference (Miami and Syracuse a virtual lock, with BC and VT vying for the 3rd spot.)

I for one am very excited about this. The ACC has long held its own in basketball but hasn't really demonstrated any dominance in football. FSU came in and promptly began whoopin' everyone's ass. Hopefully now things will start to become a bit more balanced, and schools will feel the pressure to spend more on football.

I think the Big East will have to remove 'Big' from their name...or sign some 2nd tier schools quick! :p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, just saw it on the local news. Duke and UNC were opposed. Why am I not surprised;)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Louisville is wanting to leave Conf. USA and is rumored to be looking at ACC/Big East

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
Louisville is wanting to leave Conf. USA and is rumored to be looking at ACC/Big East
Funny, I heard Pitt is thinking of leaving Big East now and joining the Big 10 (now how is the Big 10 going to get away with having TWELVE teams??? :p)

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm just glad to see the SU will have a chance to whoop Duke's a$$ every year and hopefully shut Dukie Vitale the hell up.

juiio

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2000
The Big East better lose their automatic BCS berth, or the BCS will be an even bigger crock than before...

Of course, the schools still ahve to accept the offers, but I'm guessing that is just a formality.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
HOLY SH*T I NEVER REALIZED THIS!!!

12 teams means you get to have a football conference championship game. Football championship needs a big city with a big stadium. What better spot to have it then in Ericsson Stadium here in Charlotte, right in the middle of the ACC??