Discussion ***Official*** 2022 Stock Market Thread

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
In this topic: Speculators share their speculative thoughts and ideas about stocks, commodities and the markets in general. Be warned, everything posted should be taken with a grain of salt and you should do your own research before trading or investing in anything mentioned. Anything posted is an educated guess and might not be a complete analysis of all known risks so you may lose some or all of the money you invest. Nothing in life is guaranteed and neither is anything posted in this thread. Make your own decisions.

Link to 2021 thread:

Good luck to everyone during 2022!

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
my general prediction for the market in 2022: it will fluctuate

my specific prediction: GME will end the year lower than it started

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
my general prediction for the market in 2022: it will fluctuate

my specific prediction: GME will end the year lower than it started

You may very well be correct.

Everyone knows rates are going up - and they should. However from a historical perspective have abnormally low rates.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
People literally waited until the very last minute on the last trading day of the year to sell.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
According to the "experts" on Twitter, 2022 is the year that Dogecoin is going to a dollar!

Of course, they said the same thing last year.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Prediction: Zack and motley fool will predict biotech M&A all day erryday.

Morgan freeman: there will be no M&A.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Fluctuations in general can be good for holding and selling overnight or for a few days. Or if you have patience for a few weeks. Bought a lot of GOOG last week, now have to sit and wait for god knows how long to make a decent gain.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
People hated on Ford, now they are blowing up. I was underwater for a few years there, but now about to crack 100% gain.

Yup. Ford is running on all cylinders right now.

Not even today's taper tantrum could derail it.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
BTCS is the first stock to offer a Bitcoin dividend (calling it a "Bividend"), which is bizarre. This stock has done nothing but shit the bed for the last decade, and now they are offering crypto dividends?

"BTCS intends to pay $0.05 per share in Bitcoin, based on the Bitcoin price on the ex-dividend date. Investors who do not elect to receive the Bividend in Bitcoin will receive a cash dividend of $0.05."

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
These are the 4 stocks that Jim Cramer thinks are going to be successful in 2022:

I'm posting this here because I think that Jim Cramer is a pompous windbag and I expect at least half of these stocks to underperform the S&P 500. Remind me at the end of the year if I'm wrong.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Is this what's doing it?

Fed Officials Now Seeing US Job Market Near Full Recovery

Federal Reserve policymakers at a meeting last month said the U.S. job market was nearly at levels healthy enough that the central bank's low-interest rate policies were no longer needed.
Associated Press Jan. 5, 2022

Shouldn't this be good news?

No it's terrible. If they raise rates the market will go kaboom guaranteed. Bad news is good news for the market. That's how nutty it is.

• Love
Nov 17, 2019

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been thinking of doing GICs instead of stocks, my stock broker site has an option to buy them. Anyone know more about GICs and is it worthwhile? Typically they require a minimum amount like $1,000+ so you do need to have lot of money upfront and then it's locked in for at least a year. The returns are guaranteed though. I'm thinking if I can put $1,000 or more per year at least it's something. I currently have $1,000 in my savings account right now that I'm saving for tax time in case I get hit with owing so it will help cover that, but assuming I don't owe I could put that money towards GICs.

What is the best approach to choosing GICs? Is it pretty much just the thing of picking one that you are ok with the minimum and the term? They don't typically have names like stocks they just show different financial institutions and different rate offerings. Typically the ones with higher minimum and longer terms have higher returns, so is it just the thing of picking based on that?

As far as stocks, I am losing money with most of my stocks since I don't really know what I'm doing, but I do have one stock making enough money to make up for it so account wise I'm sitting on a half decent return. I'll leave that money there for now as I think the stock has more growth potential, but it is tempting to cash in the ones where I'm losing so I can put that money towards GICs.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Selling VGT and buying VTI a few weeks ago appears to be a smart move for me so far.

1641504289232.png