Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Every MBA student dreads one course above all others. Ok, business law is universally hated while the computer and math classes are feared.

Money and Banking.

Why the fear? Because it's easier to explain the basics of Quantum mechanics and the standard model than how shadow banking works.

People seem to get caught up on that 'can't get something for nothing' fallacy. And yet, the idea the universe popped into being from a virtually infinite nothing. And then. Then. Get this. It expanded at a rate several trillion times faster than light. And yet there's more. Then, for no apparent reason except maybe 'why the fuck not.' Whew, that was a busy 4 or 5 units of Planck time ( = 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds), I'm bushed.

All of that sounds nothing like a fairy tale at all does it?

• Wow
Reactions: FelixDeCat

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I ordered the Peloton Bike+ family package to exercise and for research purpose. Peloton contractor company delivered it late last night. The delivery experience wasn't the smoothest/best but the actual Bike+ is great and the workout app and the instructors are superb. I'm a complete noob when it comes to cycling so I don't have anything to base it on but my initial impression is "This thing is awesome and this interactive connected exercise experience is the future." Peloton definitely has something here with interactive connected workout app. We'll see how I feel after the newness and the initial excitement wears off but so far so good. Now I know why Peloton has such loyal following. Firsthand research is good.

Wife is doing a live class now. She loves it.

Reactions: Captante

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Stock does up, stock does down - I just sit here and collect my OOM CC premiums #neverSell

Wish I had discovered this earlier, but its been a fun learning experience (had to buy back/roll out once already) since I first asked about it in this very thread back in sept

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ponyo

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Boy did I pick a bad time to get into COIN. Long term hold and all, but bought it at 318 a couple days ago and then it pooped itself...

Reactions: FelixDeCat

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Stock does up, stock does down - I just sit here and collect my OOM CC premiums #neverSell

Wish I had discovered this earlier, but its been a fun learning experience (had to buy back/roll out once already) since I first asked about it in this very thread back in sept

View attachment 53720
I view selling options as nice bonus. Most of the time it's free money but you do have to be careful you don't get caught trying to pick up those pennies.

What I really hate about options selling is the taxes. Covered calls and CSP are all considered short term gains no matter if you sell out longer dated options more than a year. So unless you sell in tax sheltered retirement accounts, you can end up with huge tax bill. I sell in both, and I really hate paying the estimated quarterly tax payments because of the options I sell. People always say you should be happy to pay the taxes because it means you made money but it still sucks when you're writing that big check to the government.

Reactions: RichieZ

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
I view selling options as nice bonus. Most of the time it's free money but you do have to be careful you don't get caught trying to pick up those pennies.

What I really hate about options selling is the taxes. Covered calls and CSP are all considered short term gains no matter if you sell out longer dated options more than a year. So unless you sell in tax sheltered retirement accounts, you can end up with huge tax bill. I sell in both, and I really hate paying the estimated quarterly tax payments because of the options I sell. People always say you should be happy to pay the taxes because it means you made money but it still sucks when you're writing that big check to the government.

Roth IRA FTW: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-2021-stock-market-thread.2588857/post-40493572

I don't sell much in my non-tax advantaged account bc those shares are like 99% capital gains and it's too risky if ABNB spikes and I get assigned.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I ordered the Peloton Bike+ family package to exercise and for research purpose. Peloton contractor company delivered it late last night. The delivery experience wasn't the smoothest/best but the actual Bike+ is great and the workout app and the instructors are superb. I'm a complete noob when it comes to cycling so I don't have anything to base it on but my initial impression is "This thing is awesome and this interactive connected exercise experience is the future." Peloton definitely has something here with interactive connected workout app. We'll see how I feel after the newness and the initial excitement wears off but so far so good. Now I know why Peloton has such loyal following. Firsthand research is good.

My brother has a $700 NordicTrack exercise bike with magnetic resistance, built in fan to cool you off, stats, music, etc., and he loves it. He bought it to fight diabetic nephropathy in his legs. Over the months it improved his life a lot, got his blood sugar down, help with leg cramps, given him more power and bulkier muscles and better cardio. He uses the bike religiously and sometimes has to put his feet in ice water to numb his legs so he can sleep (from the nephropathy, not the workout).

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Quick! Buy before it's too late! Don't dismiss it.

Werent you the guy buying the last dip and now we are even lower?

We are approaching the 50 DMA for the QQQ's ($380). If we bounce off that, I think we go back up to $400.

Otherwise if we close underneath it, the 200 DMA is $353, down another 7%.

Be cautious here.

(Believe me, Im want it to go back up to, Im net long but just I always try to handicap all the scenarios). You can make quick money trading puts or selling calls, but they have to be wise moves. Otherwise if you are buy and forget then you really dont care either way.

Besides the market being at nosebleed levels I dont see anything that could bring a 50% correction like we saw last year (QQQ $200). They only major difference is the gov and fed are removing market supports, which IMO should have never been there beyond 2020 anyway.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought some two days ago. Bought more yesterday. Bought even more an hour ago. No plans to sell anything this year or next.

I'll wait my turn to be smug.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I snagged a mid-range Chinese Peloton knockoff on Amazon during the lockdown and have been riding several times a week since.... shockingly its held up to heavy use very well which I was not expecting for $300 +/-.

Peloton's are a bit pricey but no question they're one of the better bikes out there in build quality and the live/online aspect is terrific for added motivation getting started with a ride. (by far the hardest part!)

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Reactions: Captante

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It's all about the Fed talking about raising rates. I could easily see QQQ 100 if they were serious.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I ordered the Peloton Bike+ family package to exercise and for research purpose. Firsthand research is good.

Buy a HR-Monitor armband from Scosche to pair with your bike so you can follow your Strive score. Best accessory that really improves your workouts.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Buy a HR-Monitor armband from Scosche to pair with your bike so you can follow your Strive score. Best accessory that really improves your workouts.
I'm using my Apple Watch Series 6 to pair with the Bike+. Makes it pretty seamless to keep track and monitor my heart rate and Strive score. The whole Apple and Peloton integration and experience are so slick and well done. It's a pleasure to use.

I'm still doing the quick 20 minute beginner rides since I'm new to spinning and relatively out of shape. But I love it so far. I just finished my morning ride and 5 minute post ride stretch. It's so nice to be able to pop out of bed, drink my morning coffee, put on AirPods Pros, and exercise on the bike for 20 minutes in peace and quiet without disturbing my sleeping wife and dog while still in my pajamas. The bike is near silent and with the AirPods Pros, I can be in my little world cycling to the beat of the music and instructor. It's a wonderful experience, and I'm really glad I bought the Peloton Bike+. It's worth every penny IMO. I'm a Peloton believer now, and will keep accumulating additional Peloton shares into weakness.