Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
^ Nothing that glamorous here but I did make money on a single day trade in GOOG this morning. An old fashioned and boring company compared to much of the trading going on the forum. Also made a little on AMD sale today after holding it for a few days.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Old fashioned, new fashioned, I don't care. If revs are growing and it's not overpriced, its definitely worth a nibble.

That's what attracted me to POSH. They did have a bad quarter because sales estimates were below expectations, however there was still growth. And the stock was 80% off it's all time high.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
A few times per year the US Mint sends me their catalog. Now, I understand that their PM proof coins have always sold at what I used to consider a fairly steep premium over spot. But I think they've gone over the edge.

In one or two cases at least, the premium was close to a grand. For example, one oz palladium eagle is selling for nearly $3k. Palladium spot is maybe $2200. $100 less on the bid.

Of course all of the gold coins seem to be sold out so I didn't even bother.

I'm not bitching though, I just don't get it. Admittedly, I'm not deeply in touch with either PM markets or collectible PM coins. And if they're actually getting away with this sh**, well damn son, congrats.

If US Mint coins coins were known for their collectible value, that would be one thing. And granted, they are generally "limited" runs, but that's a rather ambiguous term. And sure, some premium is certainly warranted. But when just the premium is close to 50% of spot, something seems off.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I think PTON bottomed today. Massive reversal from the premarket low of $43.64 this morning after the news of the $1 billion common stock offering news broke. The offering is 23.9 million shares at $46 per share. Volume today is already over 37 million shares traded in about 2 hours. Super bullish reversal. Most of the bad news should now be priced in and out of the way. We had poor earnings report, analysts downgrade, and now the $1 billion common stock sale. This should've flushed all the weak hands from PTON.

I'm going to visit the Peloton showroom and buy the Bike+ family package and maybe the Tread family package as well. I noticed last night they've temporary lowered the prices on the Bike, Bike+, and Tread packages to try to clear some excess inventory and generate some sales. It will be good opportunity for me to own the Bike+ and do some firsthand market research to see if the products are great as the hype.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Despite crypto taking a big dump today, COIN remained relatively flat. Intriguing.

That's why I like Coinbase! It doesn't matter if crypto goes up or down, they still make money on the commissions.

Whenever there is a gold rush like crypto, you can always profit by selling the picks and shovels (AMD and Nvidia), or running the general store or the bank (Coinbase). Well... you can also make money owning the saloon and the brothel as well, but I'm not sure what the modern day equivalent is to that. :)

Reactions: zinfamous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think PTON bottomed today. Massive reversal from the premarket low of $43.64 this morning after the news of the $1 billion common stock offering news broke. The offering is 23.9 million shares at $46 per share. Volume today is already over 37 million shares traded in about 2 hours. Super bullish reversal. Most of the bad news should now be priced in and out of the way. We had poor earnings report, analysts downgrade, and now the $1 billion common stock sale. This should've flushed all the weak hands from PTON.

I'm going to visit the Peloton showroom and buy the Bike+ family package and maybe the Tread family package as well. I noticed last night they've temporary lowered the prices on the Bike, Bike+, and Tread packages to try to clear some excess inventory and generate some sales. It will be good opportunity for me to own the Bike+ and do some firsthand market research to see if the products are great as the hype.

Yes, I too remember that wonderful November weekend in 2007 when Panasonic put their $500 HD DVD players on a fire sale.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's why I like Coinbase! It doesn't matter if crypto goes up or down, they still make money on the commissions.

Whenever there is a gold rush like crypto, you can always profit by selling the picks and shovels (AMD and Nvidia), or running the general store or the bank (Coinbase). Well... you can also make money owning the saloon and the brothel as well, but I'm not sure what the modern day equivalent is to that. :)

Reddit and/or The Right Stuff?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Yes, I too remember that wonderful November weekend in 2007 when Panasonic put their $500 HD DVD players on a fire sale.
:D I passed on the HD DVD. I bet on Sony and their Playstation Blu-Ray. As long as this doesn't end up like $100 HP TouchPad WebOS tablet fire sale, I should be ok. I don't think connected fitness is a fad but I could end up being wrong. But I'm not betting the farm on Peloton. I just like the risk/reward setup with PTON atm.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, Coinbase is heavily dependent on trading revenue.

Typically COIN gets crushed when crypto bombs, which is why I was surprised. They seem to be aggressively seeking other revenue streams as well, so maybe that is helping its stability?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
:D I passed on the HD DVD. I bet on Sony and their Playstation Blu-Ray. As long as this doesn't end up like $100 HP TouchPad WebOS tablet fire sale, I should be ok. I don't think connected fitness is a fad but I could end up being wrong. But I'm not betting the farm on Peloton. I just like the risk/reward setup with PTON atm.

I already had my PS3 and a stack of shitty BDs (because of all the crazy BOGO deals at the time...mostly shitass movies), but I picked up the HDDVD player, anyway. And a few HDDVDs. I have no idea what happened to those...I think I tried to sell them on Craigslist once?

I did use the HDDVD player for a little while as a really nice upsampling DVD player, but maybe 3 years later, it actually stopped recognizing the HDDVDs I had. I mean...wtf.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I already had my PS3 and a stack of shitty BDs (because of all the crazy BOGO deals at the time...mostly shitass movies), but I picked up the HDDVD player, anyway. And a few HDDVDs. I have no idea what happened to those...I think I tried to sell them on Craigslist once?

I did use the HDDVD player for a little while as a really nice upsampling DVD player, but maybe 3 years later, it actually stopped recognizing the HDDVDs I had. I mean...wtf.
So what the lesson here? We should've figured out streaming was the future and Netflix was going to win. Invest in disruption companies early and grow rich with them as they change the world. That's the lesson.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
So what the lesson here? We should've figured out streaming was the future and Netflix was going to win. Invest in disruption companies early and grow rich with them as they change the world. That's the lesson.

Did Netflix really "win", though? Disney+ and Hulu seems to be stealing their profits by giving away their content for "free" with subscription bundles for various Internet service providers.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Did Netflix really "win", though? Disney+ and Hulu seems to be stealing their profits by giving away their content for "free" with subscription bundles for various Internet service providers.

You mean to say the growth from the bottom of 2008 until the crest of 2021, when $100,000 invested would become $12,500,000 is not defined as a "winner"?

Pshaw.

Also, expect others to compete. Not all will succeed.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Netflix stock price in November 2017 was around $3 /share. At $3 /share, Netflix market cap was little over $1.2 billion. Today, Netflix stock price is $690 with market cap of around $304 billion. Are you really trying to say Netflix didn't win? They revolutionized the entire industry and changed how we consume TV and entertainment.

ultimatebob, you really need to open your eyes and try to see the big picture.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Netflix stock price in November 2017 was around $3 /share. At $3 /share, Netflix market cap was little over $1.2 billion. Today, Netflix stock price is $690 with market cap of around $304 billion. Are you really trying to say Netflix didn't win? They revolutionized the entire industry and changed how we consume TV and entertainment.

ultimatebob, you really need to open your eyes and try to see the big picture.

Hey, I'm just saying that it still has a P/E ratio like a hyper growth stock but it really isn't growing that much anymore.

It also now has competitors with deep pockets like Apple, Comcast, and Disney that are squeezing it's profit margins. There are probably better stocks to be invested in now.

Perhaps it "won" like AOL "won" the early internet service provider wars. We all know how that story turned out.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I'm making a few thousand $ trading AMD and GOOG fluctuations, $1k here and $3k there over the last couple months. It's not working. I've missed out on thousands of $ despite the trading gains. Both stocks keep going up so it was not a decent plan to trade them. If I held both would've made a lot more.

Ok moving on I like the idea of an all in one crypto trading, that is with the wallet and trading in the same company. And Coinbase and EToro both have wallets & trading, no third party wallet unless you opt for one. I just need to create an account at one or both and buy some Ethereum before I miss the boat on it.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Hey, I'm just saying that it still has a P/E ratio like a hyper growth stock but it really isn't growing that much anymore.

It also now has competitors with deep pockets like Apple, Comcast, and Disney that are squeezing it's profit margins. There are probably better stocks to be invested in now.

Perhaps it "won" like AOL "won" the early internet service provider wars. We all know how that story turned out.
Every company will eventually die. Nothing grows and lives forever. But I've had enough discussion with you to know a blind person sees better than you. I've no opinion on the current stock price of Netflix. It's not a company I follow or care about. Thus I know nothing. I'm free.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Couldn't resist a penny stock SOLO, if less than $5/share is considered a penny stock. Day traded it today and made a little over $1k. Yeah it took a large buy to make that but it's inheritance money so I may as well try. And I've been following SOLO closely for several months.

And today I've already missed out over $1.5k more because it went up another 0.02 since I sold at $3.40 about an hour ago.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

uh, Netflix has nothing to do with BD vs HDDVD. That was a format war between two media standards. It happened and ended several years before Netflix streaming was even a thing. lol, how are you even dragging that nonsense into the conversation?

Netflix streaming vs physical media is something else entirely. The only thing Netflix was involved in in those days, was rental services. Own or not own. Blockbuster vs Netflix. That's it. Netflix was adding surcharges to their subscription if you wanted access to BD or HDDVD in those days.

BD is still around. Netflix didn't "win" any of that.

and to your later point...lol, the value of Netflix shares then vs now. The shareholders of that time "won." Netflix didn't win vs their competition. They beat blockbuster...then, but that didn't really do anything for their value. Again, that was defeating a non streaming service in a non streaming battle. Their licensing deals have been severed as streaming has become more and more fragmented. Yeah, they had to essentially create their own studio to stay alive, and they've been fairly good at it, so it's definitely working for them. But they are now in direct war with Disney. Good luck.

Why does all of your thinking have to be "money = win. Money = right. I get the money = therefore I smart." That's so fucking pedestrian and trite. It's not even any kind of metric of being correct or smart about any of this stuff. Everything is in hindsight. You don't know dick about what is happening tomorrow with any of these companies, and no one else does. Stop pretending that you do because "money."