Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
You can do a multi-leg transaction, often used for buying or selling spreads, strangles, and other more complicated trades.

On one leg, you would BTC (buy to close) the current puts May you are short, and you would STO (sell to open) the August puts. When it asks for a price, you’d say $0 or something close to it (though you should definitely take the net price your broker suggests as a starting point). Make sure you choose credit so you are a net seller (IE: receiving money) vs the other way around (debit / paying money)

I am not an expert, this is not advice, etc., etc., so please do your own due diligence etc. :) but I regularly use this strategy to roll calls and puts I sell.

c3aeb91a65ce1ef45b1c5096e97f5274.jpg

Thanks for that very clear explanation. I've never done that.

I think if I make the switch I'll probably go with Aug 20 $25 puts. They're at 4.95. The 20s seem to have gone down in value.

Reactions: manlymatt83

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
What are folks using to get some next gen fintech exposure, whether that’s Bitcoin, square, etc.? Is it the ARK financial ETF? Should I just buy Square? What about MSTR?

TL;DR - don’t believe in Bitcoin enough to buy it directly, but I do believe something is on the horizon. But I don’t really want to own one hit wonder apps that come and go every 6 months either.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
...^your TL;DR is actually longer than the TL part. Also, I think there is a minimum amount of verbiage required before TL;DR can be invoked, and it ain't a single line of text.

wtf. :D

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
bought another 1,000 shares of VGAC this morning. Now holding 3,000 shares. I'm comfortable with my long position via common stock. Now I will let the 50 CSP I sold do the work. If I get assigned, that's fine. If I don't get assigned, that's fine too as the premium I keep will lower my cost basis on the shares I own.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
bought another 1,000 shares of VGAC this morning. Now holding 3,000 shares. I'm comfortable with my long position via common stock. Now I will let the 50 CSP I sold do the work. If I get assigned, that's fine. If I don't get assigned, that's fine too as the premium I keep will lower my cost basis on the shares I own.

Hmm its basically fallen off the face of the Earth since the announcement, its at pre-merge announcement levels now.

Seems like a good price for a long term hold?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I watch those as a proxy for cryptos. I was trading SINO the last two weeks. They are sketchy Chinese /American shipping company getting into bitcoin mining. I had to buy and sell it back and forth to make money since it was so volatile.

52 week high, $12.28 today despite a 10% drop in bitcoin. Shipping cos are rallying which might explain it.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Hey guys, moving over to the “other” 2021 ATOT stock market thread. See you there.

.... wait, was I not supposed to say anything?

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Darn it. Wife spent her saving on twenty shares of Tesla in 1/8/2021 when it was $880.. now it is $714. She is totally panicking now and wanted to sell them all at $710 before it gets much lower...

*oops, it was in jan 2021.. not 2020

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Can’t wait! Are you holding any?
Nope. I don't like playing earnings if I don't have to. Sold my SQ shares back when it was like $130 or so last year before earnings to buy TSLA call options. Wish I didn't sell it but it all worked out. I'm a big fan of Square and Jack Dorsey. But I think SQ stock price is ahead of itself but all public fintech companies are all overvalued IMO.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Darn it. Wife spent her saving on twenty shares of Tesla in 1/8/2020 when it was $880.. now it is $714. She is totally panicking now and wanted to sell them all at $710 before it gets much lower...
It could get whole lot worse. The market thinks TSLA Q1 delivery estimates are too high, and I agree. So it's starting to price in the miss on Q1 delivery numbers. Q1 is usually TSLA's weakest quarter and you have people holding off buying Tesla cars because of Biden's possible reinstatement of the $7,500 tax credit for buying Tesla vehicles. That's a big deal and lot of people who are on the fence about buying might hold off to see if the tax credit comes back. This is the real reason why TSLA shares have been weak and under pressure. And some big funds have sold TSLA shares on the bitcoin news because they don't like TSLA holding bitcoin. That's understandable too. I think the big funds are wrong and it's a good thing TSLA is holding some bitcoin but that's how some big stupid money thinks.

But the headlines you see right now on CNBC about TSLA shares dropping because the decline in bitcoin price is fake news. That's stupid news designed to fool stupid people. Drop in bitcoin price has nothing to do with why TSLA stock price dropped today. Like I said, it's the stock market looking forward and starting to price in potential TSLA miss on Q1 earnings and delivery numbers. That's the real reason. Q1 estimates might be too high and TSLA stock price needs to come down to reflect the new numbers. Lot of people were also spooked by decline in TSLA gross margin last Q4 earnings. It didn't concern me much but I know lot of people were taken back at the decrease in gross margin in Q4.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Darn it. Wife spent her saving on twenty shares of Tesla in 1/8/2020 when it was $880.. now it is $714. She is totally panicking now and wanted to sell them all at $710 before it gets much lower...

huh?

if she still has those shares, then that was before the split, so she should have 5x those original shares that she purchased a year ago, and it is actually up on that price, post split. (split was at $2200, IIRC in August 2020, which made the price $440 per share at 1:5....so she should be doing really well if she hasn't done anything with them.) So, she should have 100 shares now worth $71,000. That sounds to me a lot more than $17600, lol.

or did you mean 1/8/2021? Huge difference in your situation, if that was or wasn't a typo, lol.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
huh?

if she still has those shares, then that was before the split, so she should have 5x those original shares that she purchased a year ago, and it is actually up on that price, post split. (split was at $2200, IIRC in August 2020, which made the price $440 per share at 1:5....so she should be doing really well if she hasn't done anything with them.)
TSLA shares hit over $900 last month before Q4 earning.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Guys is it possible to invest only in a specific company in a spac? Or do you have to invest just in the spac which may be managing multiple companies about to go public which includes the company you want?

It's Humacyte I'm thinking about buying or investing in. They will go public soon in the spac Alpha Healthcare Acquisition Corp, AHAC, which is on the Nasdaq. So I did a Google search on how to invest in a specific company in a spac. And I couldn't really find an answer. I swear it ticks me off when I ask a simple question in a search and can't get an answer. Maybe I should've gone to page 3 and beyond in the search results. Obviously I didn't read enough of the articles or just gave up too soon.

But anyway I figure someone here can answer the two questions at the top.

Humacyte is developing a kind of synthetic skin that begins its manufacturing process using real human skin cells. It's hoped it can be used to treat many different human ailments in surgical operations and many other medical procedures. It's big claimed advantage is the final skin product is "de celled" so it can't be rejected by the human body. At least not rejected like real cell grafts or procedures can be rejected.

I'm not recommending buying Humacyte or any spac that has it. It could turn out that once in humans their skin comes apart or becomes useless due to unforeseen reasons. Then you can guess what'll happen to your investment.

AHAC rallied well today. Neared $17 before pulling back to $15. I know SPAC deals are complicated with all sorts of formulas to figure out what its worth so I wont go there. But the current market cap is $230M. Assuming it hits $1B would that mean a $60 share price? Hmm....

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The last few trading sessions have seen a bloodbath in EV's/AF stocks compound. Some stocks are now 20%,30%,40%+ from their 52 week highs....

Capture.JPG

Was it an obvious bubble? Or are we heading back to all time highs for all these names? The only one that hasnt drowned in its own blood is Fisker.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
TSLA shares hit over $900 last month before Q4 earning.

he said that she purchased them in January 2020. I'm going by this, assuming it isn't a typo, lol.

yeah, so I went back and checked, because I also don't recall them being that high in January, 2020, but I didn't recall the pre-split price then and while I certainly assume that was a typo, I was just trying to help the dude relax (some people buy stocks and just forget about it.).

But yeah, January 5-10, 2020, the pre-split price was about $560, if my math is correct. It looks like she did buy them this year. But hey, wouldn't it be nice to learn that you are actually up ~$60k instead of being down $3400? :|

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
There's a chance Biden restores Tesla's expired $7,500 EV tax credit this week. If so, TSLA stock could pop. Regardless, I hope the issue is settled one way or another so we don't have people waiting on the sidelines holding off on the vehicle purchase because of potential return of the tax credit. There's nothing worse than uncertainty.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's a chance Biden restores Tesla's expired $7,500 EV tax credit this week. If so, TSLA stock could pop. Regardless, I hope the issue is settled one way or another so we don't have people waiting on the sidelines holding off on the vehicle purchase because of potential return of the tax credit. There's nothing worse than uncertainty.

That's what I find annoying about these type of things, there's so much uncertainty and you don't know from one day to the next what kind of credits there will be. It's same here in Canada, like for example they had credits on things like getting new windows or insulation, or installing solar power, MicroFIT, etc. It's there one day, gone the other. They really need to get their act together, come up with a system, and stick with it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Personally I'm not worried at all about TSLA. Tesla will be fine and TSLA stock will fully recover from any short term decline. TSLA is going lot higher longterm. Any major dip in TSLA is longterm buying opportunity. As I have lot of cash sitting on the sideline, I welcome the chance to add to my TSLA shares.