Discussion ***Official*** 2021 Stock Market Thread

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
In this topic: Speculators share their speculative thoughts and ideas about stocks, commodities and the markets in general. Be warned, everything posted should be taken with a grain of salt and you should do your own research before trading or investing in anything mentioned. Anything posted is an educated guess and might not be a complete analysis of all known risks so you may lose some or all of the money you invest. Nothing in life is guaranteed and neither is anything posted in this thread. Make your own decisions.

Link to 2020 thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/official-2020-stock-market-thread.2574789/

Good luck to everyone during 2021!

Reactions: thuyqn0896
Nov 8, 2012
I wonder what Apple will do in the EV market this year? Partner or develop?

I think it's been already declared - they are sticking to the software side, mostly because they have no reason to get into the world of designing and making auto-manufacturing.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I know there is a separate bitcoin thread, but I think it can now be considered worthy of investment discussion. It is also now above $25,000, with options now being offered at the "$100,000+ per coin" strikes:

Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K

I wanted to buy BC when it was $100 each so I tried to open an account at Mount Gox. Thankfully I ran into issues and wasnt able to. Mt. Gox was later hacked and everybody lost everything in their bankruptcy filing.

I have not been interested in buying again until recently when PayPal now allows you to swap cash for BC using their platform. Now its super easy.

I almost bought $100 worth of BC the other day for giggles, but then I read an article stating that the IRS will have a checkbox at the top of the 2020 FORM 1040 that will require to you to notify them if you own BC or not:

IRS is ‘setting the trap’ for bitcoin and virtual currency investors

So I decided to wait until 2021 before I consider taking any position.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
@FelixDeCat No one should be keeping coins in an online exchange. That's been inadvised that way since 2011, if not earlier. Now you might get into the unfortunate timing of moving funds in, to then exchange, but that should be a pretty short window. So the hack should not affect your actual funds/crypto.

Last edited:

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I know there is a separate bitcoin thread, but I think it can now be considered worthy of investment discussion. It is also now above $25,000, with options now being offered at the "$100,000+ per coin" strikes:

Deribit Adding Options to Allow Bitcoin Traders to Bet on Rally to $120K

I wanted to buy BC when it was $100 each so I tried to open an account at Mount Gox. Thankfully I ran into issues and wasnt able to. Mt. Gox was later hacked and everybody lost everything in their bankruptcy filing.

I have not been interested in buying again until recently when PayPal now allows you to swap cash for BC using their platform. Now its super easy.

I almost bought $100 worth of BC the other day for giggles, but then I read an article stating that the IRS will have a checkbox at the top of the 2020 FORM 1040 that will require to you to notify them if you own BC or not:

IRS is ‘setting the trap’ for bitcoin and virtual currency investors

So I decided to wait until 2021 before I consider taking any position.

I bought a tiny tiny amount about a year ago. Thinking of selling now. I think it has just as much of a chance of going back to $5k as it does going to $50k. Has there ever been something other than tulips that was this volatile?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Here's the question of the moment... now that Tesla is part of the S&P 500, is the bubble going to burst and the price crash?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think it's been already declared - they are sticking to the software side, mostly because they have no reason to get into the world of designing and making auto-manufacturing.

I love the idea of a top-secret circular vehicle test track under Apple HQ, though :)

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
My gut is telling me there is going to be an extended market pull back in 2021. It will dip and plateau for a few months, then gradually improve. I sense a lot of money will be spent once Covid-19 is clearly kicked to the curb. A lot businesses already gobbling up those that are going broke, look for a lot major capital investments next year.

Regardless if the overall economies rebound I sense the markets will not follow. Just my feeling.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
My gut is telling me there is going to be an extended market pull back in 2021. It will dip and plateau for a few months, then gradually improve. I sense a lot of money will be spent once Covid-19 is clearly kicked to the curb. A lot businesses already gobbling up those that are going broke, look for a lot major capital investments next year.

Regardless if the overall economies rebound I sense the markets will not follow. Just my feeling.

Are you selling anything?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You know what's cool? TSLA could crash to $80 a share on Monday, and my investment would still be slightly UP for the year. When I bought the dip in April, that sucker skyrocketed!

"If" it is down to that range, I will jump in for sure. Still kicking myself for not participate when I had a chance with Amazon.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'm wondering if we'll have another brief crash this week, as everyone locks in profits, followed by a rebound in January? That seemed to happen the past couple of years; I'm not sure why.

LordNoob

Nov 16, 2003
I still can't get over that member some years ago that went all-in on Rambus and lost his shirt. Obviously this is a terrible idea, but if you had to go all-in on one stock in 2021, what would it be?

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I still can't get over that member some years ago that went all-in on Rambus and lost his shirt. Obviously this is a terrible idea, but if you had to go all-in on one stock in 2021, what would it be?
Hm. I really, really like Eavor, but I don't think they're publicly traded yet.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
why do you think that? explain your thought process.

The stock has had a huge run up, and the P/E ratios are astronomical at this point. Tesla would need unprecedented growth (for a car/energy company, anyway) to sustain these values.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I wonder what Apple will do in the EV market this year? Partner or develop?

Apple car rumor was dumb manipulation news to bring down TSLA stock price after the S&P inclusion. Hedge funds shorted TSLA at the market close on the S&P day and called up their buddy at Reuters to spread the fake Apple car news rumor everyone knew about since 2014. The report was basically regurgitated notes from Tesla Battery Day. Except that Reuters report was so amateurish they couldn't even fake the science part of the battery story to make it believable. Of course, all the dumb people believed the story because they know nothing about Tesla or batteries. Seriously, Apple secret battery is lithium iron phosphate? lol. Batteries Tesla has been using on Chinese made Model 3 SR+ since middle of this year? Same lithium iron phosphate battery you can buy from CATL right now? People are such lazy morons. No wonder people lose money when hedge funds can simply manipulate the dumb people with one simple made up story.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Gordon Johnson is the biggest clown. No one takes that guy seriously. He was so bad at his job that even the bottom tier trash company like Vertical Group fired him. No one would hire him so he started his own company late last year. Look up his track record or watch any interview with him on Youtube. The guy is a complete joke and favorite "analyst" of the TSLAQ morons. That $60-$80 price target Gordon has is actually presplit price. He had $50 presplit price for the longest time. So after 5-1 split, he thinks TSLA will fall to $12. lol.

This is why people should just buy index funds. They're too lazy and stupid to invest on their own.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The stock has had a huge run up, and the P/E ratios are astronomical at this point. Tesla would need unprecedented growth (for a car/energy company, anyway) to sustain these values.
What do you think of Amazon and their P/E?