**Official 2018-19 NFL Post Season Thread - Part 1 of 3: The Wild Card**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
In reality though, everyone picked them to at least go to the SB... they are one QB away... said everyone with a pulse, and they folded like a lawn chair and got blasted in Week 17.

And Cousins think he's something he's not. Hes a Matt Stafford 2.0, a losing stat monger. I tend to dislike overrated QBs, whether they play for my team or not.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Hello fello AT'ers. It's been a few years. Since I was last here...Chip Kelly happened...Eagles won the SB...Redskins have become a model franchise in the NFL under Dan Snyder...wait, that last one was a delusion, they still suck under Dan Snyder.

Indy loses to Houston in a close one. Houston has cooled off last few weeks but they get the win.

Seattle over Dallas. Dallas defense comes to play, but their offense is suspect. Close game but Wilson pulls a rabbit out at the end.

Chargers over Baltimore.

Philadelphia at Chicago. Coin flip. Foles has been dynamite, but Chicago's defense is scary. Trubiskey is suspect in my opinion and the Eagle's defense has been playing a lot better. Eagle's must provide QB pressure because the Eagle's secondary stinks.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The sad thing is with the teams left the Patriots could still make it to another Superbowl.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Wow that Hearns injury looked just as gruesome as Alex Smith's. Fox is not going to replay it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wow that Hearns injury looked just as gruesome as Alex Smith's. Fox is not going to replay it.
I think this one was worse. Holy shit I rewound the DVR and his ankle is like spun around 180 degrees almost. The Cowboys lineman's reaction was one of such disgust too he knew immediately something was so badly wrong. Then they showed the slow motion replay and you could literally see the moment his ankle snapped in half. Very gruesome.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I think this one was worse. Holy shit I rewound the DVR and his ankle is like spun around 180 degrees almost. The Cowboys lineman's reaction was one of such disgust too he knew immediately something was so badly wrong. Then they showed the slow motion replay and you could literally see the moment his ankle snapped in half. Very gruesome.

You may be right. When Fox initially replayed, my stomach literally turned. I just hope the guy comes out OK. I really hate seeing any player get injured in that fashion.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I can’t wait for Patriots fans to get their wish and have Josh McDaniels replace Belichick. The crying and whining will be epic.
As a Pat's fan I think McDaniels is overrated, I watch every game and his play calling is remarkably predictable. If Sony Michel is on the field, it's going to be a run, if James white is on, it's a pass out to the flat, every. single. time. Now with Josh Gordon out of the picture, the Pats have gone to a run-first offense, it's worked well vs the Jets and Bills but I don't think they can beat the Colts/Chargers/Chiefs with that plan, the D is so-so at best. I was really impressed with the game Indy played, the O-line in particular is leaps and bounds above where they were and Luck, given the time, is as deadly as anyone, his throws were extremely accurate with great velocity.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Of course, the Cowboys, Ravens, and Eagles will all win this weekend.
Not so fast, the Ravens are struggling mightily on offense, the Chargers have a great game plan to minimize his rushing and his throws have been horrible, he's missed his last 7. Down 0-12 at the half I think we might see Flacco come out for the 2nd half.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
whelp, it was bound to happen: first team of pros that faces Lamar Jackson twice is going to totally wreck him, and there it is. This guy is going to have a shorter shelf life than Kaepernick did.

It's funny, I was saying this yesterday--just force him to throw and you will win. Chargers line up 3 safeties like linebackers most of the game and he can't do shit, lol

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Wish Philly would stop shooting themselves in the foot. Should be 10-0 at least at this point.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
As a Pat's fan I think McDaniels is overrated, I watch every game and his play calling is remarkably predictable. If Sony Michel is on the field, it's going to be a run, if James white is on, it's a pass out to the flat, every. single. time. Now with Josh Gordon out of the picture, the Pats have gone to a run-first offense, it's worked well vs the Jets and Bills but I don't think they can beat the Colts/Chargers/Chiefs with that plan, the D is so-so at best. I was really impressed with the game Indy played, the O-line in particular is leaps and bounds above where they were and Luck, given the time, is as deadly as anyone, his throws were extremely accurate with great velocity.

I remember Patriots fans laughing and making extremely stupid comments when McDaniels turned the Colts down, but they forget that McDaniels was the idiot who destroyed the Broncos in less than 2 full seasons. Everyone assumed he stayed at NE because he was told he'd be Bill's successor but now, unfortunately, he may move on to another gig - or at least that's what he says, but his word is worth about as much as what I dropped in the toilet this morning.

The Colts got the last laugh, as Reich is a superior coach and a much better person. McDaniels will go somewhere, fail, and go crawling back to the Patriots like all of the other failed coaches from Bill's coaching tree. He might get lucky if he goes to Green Bay since he has Rogers to mask his idiocy, but otherwise, he's screwed.

The Browns are fools if they hire him - give Williams a shot or if you really want someone else, hire Bruce Arians.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I remember Patriots fans laughing and making extremely stupid comments when McDaniels turned the Colts down, but they forget that McDaniels was the idiot who destroyed the Broncos in less than 2 full seasons. Everyone assumed he stayed at NE because he was told he'd be Bill's successor but now, unfortunately, he may move on to another gig - or at least that's what he says, but his word is worth about as much as what I dropped in the toilet this morning.

The Colts got the last laugh, as Reich is a superior coach and a much better person. McDaniels will go somewhere, fail, and go crawling back to the Patriots like all of the other failed coaches from Bill's coaching tree. He might get lucky if he goes to Green Bay since he has Rogers to mask his idiocy, but otherwise, he's screwed.

The Browns are fools if they hire him - give Williams a shot or if you really want someone else, hire Bruce Arians.
I don't recall any coaches returning to the Pats other than McDaniels, Matt P took a 9-7 team and they went 5-11 this season Vrabel took over in Tennessee and they missed the playoff's this year. O'Brien got the Texans to the playoff's so he's probably safe for now. He's openly mocked in Patriot circles for his completely predictable play calling, not HC material IMHO. Surprized the Colts D could be that dominating on the road, could they be the Superbowl sleeper?, should be interesting, Luck is really, really playing well right now

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I don't recall any coaches returning to the Pats other than McDaniels, Matt P took a 9-7 team and they went 5-11 this season Vrabel took over in Tennessee and they missed the playoff's this year. O'Brien got the Texans to the playoff's so he's probably safe for now. He's openly mocked in Patriot circles for his completely predictable play calling, not HC material IMHO. Surprized the Colts D could be that dominating on the road, could they be the Superbowl sleeper?, should be interesting, Luck is really, really playing well right now

I thought Crennel and Weiss returned to NE after failed HC gigs, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The Colts have the most cap space available in the league by far - I read an article yesterday and they said the Colts could sign Leveon Bell and another elite free agent and still have more cap space remaining than the Jets, who have the second most. For the record, I don't want them to touch Bell or Antonio Brown - build through the draft and maybe use FA for depth and maybe an elite defender.

Mar 11, 2004
whelp, it was bound to happen: first team of pros that faces Lamar Jackson twice is going to totally wreck him, and there it is. This guy is going to have a shorter shelf life than Kaepernick did.

It's funny, I was saying this yesterday--just force him to throw and you will win. Chargers line up 3 safeties like linebackers most of the game and he can't do shit, lol

He's Tebow 2.0. That's why I didn't get all the fuss about him. The Ravens got away with a very very run heavy offense when teams were focused on trying to slow down the passing game, so they were able to exploit that. I honestly don't even know that he's that great of a runner (I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, but I think Josh Allen would have thrived probably even more if he was on the Ravens).

I hope he can improve as a passer, but all the talk about teams being scared of the Ravens because of him was ridiculous. I thought it was telling that the announcers acted like the Ravens were likely in a better spot when Jackson got injured and RG3 had to play out one of their series late in the game and it being an obvious passing situation (3rd and 4th and long, like 18 yards I think). This was the Chiefs game.

I get that you just have to constantly be a shithead and trash Kaepernick but please, Kaep actually beat some teams by passing on them and was a significantly better passer than what I've seen from Jackson. Jackson is basically Tebow. Which, if they found the right receivers that might even still work (DeSean Jackson maybe? Antonio Brown, or guy like OBJ). Actually Kittle would probably be the best receiver for someone like Jackson.

Looking more, he's not as bad a passer as Tebow, so that's an unfair comparison to an extent. Its not that drastically better, and in some areas he's pretty close. His passing thus far has been in line with Kaepernick's poor seasons though, with Kaepernick's good years being substantially better, so that's not a good comparison yet either. Maybe he'll get there, but we'll see.

Eh, fans of all teams say stupid shit. I saw Colts fans gloating like crazy and acting like Luck was going to have them winning the Super Bowl and dominating for years. That still hasn't happened. They have a good future, and I'm glad Luck is back to full health, but its tough to win, let alone consistently.

The Donkos were already a wreck (that's why they took a flyer on McDaniels). Its actually better than that though, as its really Elway that is screwing them up. He might've helped them get Manning, but there's so much shady shit around that whole situation that I'm not gonna give Elway too much credit. And Elway has been an unmitigated disaster in evaluating QB talent, and he's undermining coaches, and that's going to make it difficult to hire quality coach, so they'll probably ruin any half-decent QB prospect they might get. Sounds like he got desperate and sold Kubiak on helping to try and fix things, but I think that's staving off a major rebuild that team needs, but Elways is so wishy-washy that it seems like he's making decisions on a whim.

McDaniels seems like the NFL version of Lane Kiffen. (Yes I know Kiffen was in the NFL, and McDaniels has outdone Kiffen in Kiffen things up in the NFL). The thing is, McDaniels is the only one that actually went crawling back, wasn't he? Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel didn't. Bill O'Brien hasn't yet. Pioli didn't. Some of them have kinda linked together but I think McDaniels is the only one that went back to New England. Rodgers would only be able to protect him for a bit as I'm not sure how much Rodgers has left, and honestly, I think things have soured between him and the Packers and that could very easily get worse, so I won't be surprised if things end up like Favre. You know some team is going to beg Rodgers to come there and try and get them to the Super Bowl. I'd almost laugh if it ends up being the Vikings in another couple of years. But think they'll do like with Favre where they'll try to get him to a non-divisional team.

If I'm the Packers, I'm talking to the Pats about trading for Belichick, not trying to get McDaniels. I have a feeling the end for Belichick with New England is gonna end up messy, so I try to sell the Pats on moving Belichick to make it easy. Give up a 1st round pick (maybe two) to get him, so the Pats can make a move to get Brady's replacement. The Packers figuring they'll have a couple of years with Rodgers and Belichick so they won't desperately need a 1st round pick to get a QB. Bill would probably be happy as its a passionate fan base, small market team, and the ownership setup isn't prone to making rash decisions (and won't undermine him like Kraft seems to have done some in New England).

Arians might be a good fit for the Browns, but I get an Urban Meyers vibe about him, where its like he gets tired of situations after a few years and gets the itch to move on. Didn't he quit the Cardinals for health reasons too? I don't think I'd have Williams as head coach. Probably just bias from the bounty stuff, but he's from the Fisher tree, and I don't feel like he'd be a good fit for the modern NFL.

Last edited: