* * * Official 2012 Fantasy Football Discussion Thread * * *

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Eli was spreading out the ball big time tonight, not really Victors fault

Eh, he didn't spread it around as much as you think:
Barden had 9 receptions for 138 yards, Bennett had 6 receptions for 73 yards and 1 touchdown and Cruz had 6 receptions for 12 yards. The only receiving touchdown was Bennett - the Panthers at least tackled well in the open field.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
What the hell was Victor Cruz doing tonight?? Nothing apparently

Eli was spreading out the ball big time tonight, not really Victors fault

Eh, if you watched the post-halftime update, they said exactly what happened. Carolina rolled coverage all 1st half over Cruz leaving Barden wide open all day long. Obviously Cruz is going to have a slow night if he's got double coverage with a safety over the top on him all night long.

And obviously SOMEONE ELSE is going to be wide open (Barden, Bennett) all night long.

It was just horrible game planning by the Panthers defense.

tontod

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ramses Barden is available in my league, is he worth a pickup? I currently have these WRs on my bench: DHB, Santonio Holmes, Sidney Rice, Brandon LaFell

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Ramses Barden is available in my league, is he worth a pickup? I currently have these WRs on my bench: DHB, Santonio Holmes, Sidney Rice, Brandon LaFell

might be worth a pickup over Rice or Holmes, but Barden will have limited value when Nicks is back in the lineup (which is always iffy).

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002

The problem you run into is both Nicks and Hixon are starters, regardless. Barden might have secured the #4 spot and will move into the #2 or #3 spot in a year or two, but unless there's an extended injury, don't expect too much this year. He might be worth it over DHB or Holmes, though if you want to "take a chance."

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Eh, if you watched the post-halftime update, they said exactly what happened. Carolina rolled coverage all 1st half over Cruz leaving Barden wide open all day long. Obviously Cruz is going to have a slow night if he's got double coverage with a safety over the top on him all night long.

And obviously SOMEONE ELSE is going to be wide open (Barden, Bennett) all night long.

It was just horrible game planning by the Panthers defense.

this. cruz had one of those can't be mad about duds. dude was a consensus top 5 start this week, but carolina threw everything short of quadruple coverage at him for 75% of the night.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I honestly don't know why the "experts" were calling for Cruz to have a huge night. The reason the dude is such a monster is because defenses have to honor both him and Nicks. Without Nicks, they could double cover him all night long.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I honestly don't know why the "experts" were calling for Cruz to have a huge night. The reason the dude is such a monster is because defenses have to honor both him and Nicks. Without Nicks, they could double cover him all night long.

That sure worked out well for Carolina

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Carolina challenged NY's 2/3rd stringers to make plays and those guys responded brilliantly.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I swear the fantasy gods are conspiring to help my one team win and my other team lose. I had Bennett and Brown on one team, and LaFell on the other. The team with LaFell also has Greg Jennings (injured last week, possibly this week as well), Pierre Garcon (injured last week, possibly this week as well), CJnoK, and Aaron Hernandez.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Just subbed in Lafell for Decker, which means Decker will finally break out this week.

I approve of this move. :awe:

Soooo....with the pretty decent running that Brown has done, what's everyone think of his long term value? Bradshaw obviously is a talented back, but the guy is a weekly injury risk. Does NY run Brown out and grind away giving Bradshaw recovery time?

Or is he just a long term bench store until Bradshaw gets hurt again? Wilson appears to be a lost cause in the NYG rotation. Two fumbles and some terrible carries on top of it. Brown obviously has the backup role locked down.

Probably end up like when Brandon Jacobs was there? That would be the easy guess.

KT

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I can't tell who he thinks played brilliantly...NY's 2/3 stringers or Carolina??? or am I missing something?

IMHO, the only person on the field that played "brilliantly" was Eli. After recapping the game, I realized there was absolutely no trash clogging up the throwing lanes or linebackers/strong safeties squatting in the secondary zones on pretty much every single pass play. Why? Because they were playing a zone shell and rolling coverage to Cruz all night long, and anyone left over kept getting looked off by Eli leaving Barden and Bennett to basically WALK their routes and be right where they were supposed to be. Eli could make those throws blindfolded given how empty the throwing lanes were last night. Hell, I'm pretty sure even Ryan Leaf could have had a pro-bowl caliber night last night against that kind of coverage.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Didn't think I was that unclear...

Carolina doubled down on Cruz and left Barden wide open. He responded with 140 yards on 9 receptions. Same with Brown. Guy was a no-name and he dropped almost 120 yards and 2TDs on them. Replacements came in, made plays and made Carolina look like a practice squad.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Well if Carolina's defensive performance had an impact on your fantasy game, I'm truly sorry.

I started Brown and Bennett in my leagues. The only thing I could possibly be "upset" about was dropping NYG DS/T before this game in favor of Green Bay.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I started Brown and Bennett in my leagues. The only thing I could possibly be "upset" about was dropping NYG DS/T before this game in favor of Green Bay.

My comment was mostly sarcastic. As in, who cares about the Carolina D's performance in FF outside of which Giant's players they shut down or let go.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I approve of this move. :awe:

Probably end up like when Brandon Jacobs was there? That would be the easy guess.

KT

Probably. They might have a three-headed monster like they did in 2008 Superbowl season (I liked the nickname, "Earth, Wind, & Fire" for their backfield, it was very apt). Brown is more of a power runner, though he's not quite as built like a tank like Jacobs is. It's likely they use both Brown and Bradshaw effectively, and mix in a little David Wilson increasingly as the season progresses. Might see some more of Da'Rel Scott, too.

Last edited:

Arik5405

Platinum Member
May 9, 2005
I was offered Jermichael Finley for Brent Celek...do I take it or leave it?
Celek is doing better than Finley so far this season but Yahoo think Finley has a little bit bigger upside. They both had similar point totals last season. I guess the questions are will Celek continue to produce? Will Finley start producing?

Projections:
projected_zps26383f03.jpg

This Season:
2012_zps447a1d17.jpg

Last Season:
2011_zps4f6cae40.jpg

Last edited:

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I was offered Jermichael Finley for Brent Celek...do I take it or leave it?
Celek is doing better than Finley so far this season but Yahoo think Finley has a little bit bigger upside. They both had similar point totals last season. I guess the questions are will Celek continue to produce? Will Finley start producing?

Projections:
projected_zps26383f03.jpg

This Season:
2012_zps447a1d17.jpg

Last Season:
2011_zps4f6cae40.jpg

GAH...that is a definite tough one...

GB offense will produce in the coming weeks...question is if Finley will be a part of it...he has looked like shit to be honest...he is getting targets but keeps dropping the ball.

All it takes is a game or two where he actually catches and holds on to the ball and he could be a top 5 TE...but that is a big if IMO.

Celek seems to be laying the framework for a good season but it is only two games.

My gut would say stick with Finley this year but that is just me...the upside on him is too great if he got his head out of his ass and caught the ball...IDK if Celek while getting targets will continue that trend all year.