***OFFICIAL 2007 YANKEES THREAD***

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: JujuFish
The Indians got both, so the best team won.
Fixed that for ya. :)

That's just incorrect.
Go position by position and tell me they're a better team.
The Yankees beat them 7-0 in the regular season, but they certainly played better in this series. It's a short series. Whichever team plays better in this series wins. The Indians outpitched and outhit the Yankees in this series. They played with heart and guts, but there is no way I think they are better team.

Pitching wins championships, and the Indians have much better starters, and a better bullpen. Our closer sucks, but that's not nearly enough to outweigh the others. The Yankees went 6-0 in the regular season (one of their wins coming off a 6 run 9th gem given up by said closer), but the regular season doesn't mean anything. The Indians didn't even turn into the top team in baseball until after the second sweep. After the first sweep, they had a losing record. I understand your eyes are clouded, but the Indians are just better, and they proved it here.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
AROD will go where the money tells him.

He went Texas of all teams when they were crap for 252mil.

He'll go the Devil Rays if they had him 30+ mil a year.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Squisher
And so, it ends.
Yankees have been playing catch-up all season. There is no room for that in a 5 game series.
I don't blame any one person. I blame the lack of timely hitting from the entore offense and the lack of getting the big pitch when it's needed.
The Indians got both, so they beat a much better team.
That's all there really is to it.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

The Indians have been good all season at hitting good pitching (I'm a Detroit fan). The tribe have three great starters, two great setup men (although, I hate Betancourt), and a so so closer. Starting pitching let the Yanks down this year.

The Yanks did not lose this series because of starting pitching alone. A 4-run deficit against Paul Byrd was laughable during the season. The Yankees beat the crap out of him earlier in the year, and they beat Carmona twice. They could not got a hit when it mattered all series long. Again, I think they lost because they couldnt get get a pitch when they needed it or a clutch hit.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The Indians got both, so the best team won.
Fixed that for ya. :)

That's just incorrect.
Go position by position and tell me they're a better team.
The Yankees beat them 7-0 in the regular season, but they certainly played better in this series. It's a short series. Whichever team plays better in this series wins. The Indians outpitched and outhit the Yankees in this series. They played with heart and guts, but there is no way I think they are better team.

Pitching wins championships, and the Indians have much better starters, and a better bullpen. Our closer sucks, but that's not nearly enough to outweigh the others. The Yankees went 6-0 in the regular season (one of their wins coming off a 6 run 9th gem given up by said closer), but the regular season doesn't mean anything. The Indians didn't even turn into the top team in baseball until after the second sweep. After the first sweep, they had a losing record. I understand your eyes are clouded, but the Indians are just better, and they proved it here.

If you're trying to determine who is a better team the regular season certainly means something. As a matter of fact it means everything. One short series does not show you who the better team is at all. The Yankees beat Carmona both times they faced him this year. Sure, pitching wins most of the time and Wang is a 19 game winner who just didnt show up this short series. He laid two eggs. So what? That's baseball. But one short series in no way shows who the better team is. The Indians certainly deserve credit for the way they played. But they are not the better team IMO.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
If you're trying to determine who is a better team the regular season certainly means something. As a matter of fact it means everything.
Okay, the Indians tied the Red Sox for the best record in baseball. The Indians also had the best record in the final quarter of the season.
One short series does not show you who the better team is at all.
And yet, the two regular season series were even shorter than this.
The Yankees beat Carmona both times they faced him this year.
No, you beat him one time. He gave up a whopping four runs (note the sarcasm?). The other game, he gave up 2 runs and Borowski blew a 4 run 9th inning lead. Nice way to spin the facts.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
If you're trying to determine who is a better team the regular season certainly means something. As a matter of fact it means everything.
Okay, the Indians tied the Red Sox for the best record in baseball. The Indians also had the best record in the final quarter of the season.
No, you beat him one time. He gave up a whopping four runs (note the sarcasm?). The other game, he gave up 2 runs and Borowski blew a 4 run 9th inning lead. Nice way to spin the facts.

I'm not saying Carmona is a bad pitcher, the guy is obviously great. And maybe I worded it wrong. But they did win both games he started against them. But that's all beside the point. Compare position by position and tell me the Indians are a better team. When both teams were desperate for wins, the Yankees came into town and swept the Indians. They finished two games better than the Yankees after the Yankees had a horrendous first half and still climbed back to find a playoff spot. Cleveland may have had the best record in the final quarter of the season, but they Yankees have the best record in the final half of the season. Whatever, this is just how I feel you are free to disagree.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
im a new yorker. im glad both teams lost. less dumb driver traffic near stadiums.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Compare position by position and tell me the Indians are a better team.
Indians: Better starting pitchers, better bullpen, better catcher, better DH
Yankees: Better hitting, better infield

When both teams were desperate for wins, the Yankees came into town and swept the Indians.
Every team is desperate for wins. You have to take momentum into account. The Yankees swept the Indians during a streak they went 12-2, whereas the Indians were 12-17 in the second half after the sweep.

They finished two games better than the Yankees after the Yankees had a horrendous first half and still climbed back to find a playoff spot.
At the end of the second sweep, the Indians were 65-53, the Yankees 65-51. They had already caught Cleveland.

You could say the sweep to the Yankees was the turning point of the season, because the Indians had the best record in baseball after that point.

Cleveland may have had the best record in the final quarter of the season, but they Yankees have the best record in the final half of the season.
I fail to see how that is relevant.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
On paper the Yankees have the best lineup in baseball (Money Talks). Just a shame that the lineup won't be around for that rotation next year (drool~).

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
That is not how you do position by position.
Regardless, I will take Giambi over Hafner and Posada over Martinez.
I will take Joba and Rivera over any two pitchers in your bullpen.
After the top two aces, your starting rotation is not that great, but then again neither is the Yankees.

Every team is desperate for wins. You have to take momentum into account. The Yankees swept the Indians during a streak they went 12-2, whereas the Indians were 12-17 in the second half after the sweep.
The second sweep was when you guys were fighting tooth and nail with Detroit day in and day out. Fine, take momentum into account, but the Yankees still won every regular season game against The Tribe.

At the end of the second sweep, the Indians were 65-53, the Yankees 65-51. They had already caught Cleveland.

You could say the sweep to the Yankees was the turning point of the season, because the Indians had the best record in baseball after that point.
I dont understand the point here.

I fail to see how that is relevant.
It was relevant only because you brought up in your previous post how the Indians had the best record in the final quarter of the season.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Argo
Indians were a better team this series but they were also getting a lot of breaks this series. A lot of pop-ups falling for base hits, the bugs, the hit-by-pitch. But oh well, like my friend said - when Yankees were winning their 4 rings all those breaks were going their way. So maybe it's evening out now.

As far as players,

I think a-rod is probably gone. I know people will defend him, but 3 hits and 1 HR late in the game is not what you expect from your MVP.
Torre is probably gone, don't think Boss is tghe kind of person that goes back on his word.
With Torre gone I don't see Rivera staying.
And I honestly don't think Posada should be resigned - with the season he had he'll demand a lot of money and I don't think you should pay 36 year catcher that much money.

With that said, I think it should all come down to pitching next year. The last 3 years Yankees got beat by a team with a better pitching, the winning formula has been good pitching with decent hitting.

I dunno, I thought the Boss started losing more of his marbles lately. He may not even remember making that statement down the line!

Anyways, so Torre is out, but Cashman stays? Is that how it's going to play out?

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004

I'm not saying Carmona is a bad pitcher, the guy is obviously great. And maybe I worded it wrong. But they did win both games he started against them. But that's all beside the point. Compare position by position and tell me the Indians are a better team. When both teams were desperate for wins, the Yankees came into town and swept the Indians. They finished two games better than the Yankees after the Yankees had a horrendous first half and still climbed back to find a playoff spot. Cleveland may have had the best record in the final quarter of the season, but they Yankees have the best record in the final half of the season. Whatever, this is just how I feel you are free to disagree.

I'll compare position by position and tell you the Indians are a better TEAM. 3-1 says it all. You may have had better players, you didn't have a better team.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the past 7 years the Yankees have spent over 1 BILLION on salary's..... this just proves you cant buy your way into the world series.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
the past 7 years the Yankees have spent over 1 BILLION on salary's..... this just proves you cant buy your way into the world series.

True. But you KNOW if the Yankees had made it this year everyone would be crying salary.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
After the top two aces, your starting rotation is not that great, but then again neither is the Yankees.

You would take Giambi over Hafner?? You must be nuts. Giambi is a has been who never really was - he cheated his way to success and is garbage now.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19

You would take Giambi over Hafner?? You must be nuts. Giambi is a has been who never really was - he cheated his way to success and is garbage now.
Don't judge him on this year, he's been hurt most of the season.
He may not be what he once was but he is certainly not garbage.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Sorry, but Giambi's BA has topped out at .271 in the last FIVE seasons. He is only capable of the occasional home run, or taking a walk, which doesn't even help that much since he can barely move on the base paths. Giambi is pretty much finished, IMO, and I'd take Hafner over him EASILY, especially since he is 6 years younger than Giambino.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Sorry, but Giambi's BA has topped out at .271 in the last FIVE seasons. He is only capable of the occasional home run, or taking a walk, which doesn't even help that much since he can barely move on the base paths. Giambi is pretty much finished, IMO, and I'd take Hafner over him EASILY, especially since he is 6 years younger than Giambino.

You know, you may be right about Hafner over Giambi.
But the Yankee bench is pretty deep.
Duncan, Giambi, Betemit, Molina.
Not a great group individually, but gets the job done.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

You know, you may be right about Hafner over Giambi.
But the Yankee bench is pretty deep.
Duncan, Giambi, Betemit, Molina.
Not a great group individually, but gets the job done.

Yes, it is fairly deep. I'd like to see some more of Shelly Duncan actually. He had some big hits in the later part of this season. I'm fine with Giambi as a bench guy, but he gets paid an awful lot to pinch hit :p At least I'm not the one paying his contract!

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
And so, it ends.
Yankees have been playing catch-up all season. There is no room for that in a 5 game series.
I don't blame any one person. I blame the lack of timely hitting from the entore offense and the lack of getting the big pitch when it's needed.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

I'm not going to say a whole lot here, but the Indians were clearly the better team.
What they do against the Red Sox doesn't matter, what they did against the Yankees 6 months ago doesn't matter.
The Indians were better pitching hitting and defense. If you can't see that...

they were 0-6 vs NYY in the regular season not 0-7

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: drum
And so, it ends.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

I'm not going to say a whole lot here, but the Indians were clearly the better team.
What they do against the Red Sox doesn't matter, what they did against the Yankees 6 months ago doesn't matter.

They were clearly the better team in this series.
Overall, I don't think they are a better team then the Yankees were.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
And so, it ends.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

see below

Originally posted by: aplefka
True to Yankees fan form. You admit they've been playing catch-up all season yet somehow logically in your head they're still the better team. :confused:

QFT!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
And so, it ends.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

Regular season means nothing, the better team steps up when it counts and wins.
Learn how to take the loss like a man and show a little class and respect.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
And so, it ends.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

Regular season means nothing, the better team steps up when it counts and wins.
Learn how to take the loss like a man and show a little class and respect.

I specifically did not want it to sound like I am a sore loser or anything like that.
I congratulated the Indians on a well-deserved series win, I think they showed alot of people what they are made of, showed alot of heart and outpitched, outhit and outplayed the Yankees. I even gave them credit for showing up and kicking the butts of the Yankees, who I felt were the better team. It seems many people missed the point. Whatever, it's just my opinion and people can feel free to disagree.