***OFFICIAL 2007 YANKEES THREAD***

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: akshatp
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
The Red Sox's Magic number is 3 for the playoffs. They don't seem to care about the division title but instead giving their players rest and getting their starting rotation set-up for the playoffs.

Lowell was quoted as saying "We dont care if we win the division or the Wild Card, as long as we make the playoffs it doesnt matter either way to anyone in this clubhouse."

I beg to differ. Everyone and anyone who follows the Yanks-Sox rivalry knows DAMN WELL that it is sticking Boston right in the ass to have given up the huge lead they had on the division that was "wrapped up" in May/June...

Forget the Yankees blowing the 3-0 series lead in 2004, blowing this lead has got to be in Boston's head and will be interesting to see how it plays out if they play each other in the ALCS.

If that was the case, the Red Sox would have pulled Gagne when he loaded the bases instead of letting him complete the inning. The same thing with resting Dice-K tonight and not starting him.

Since the inception of the wildcard, 50% of the time a wild card team has made the World Series. The Red Sox won it all in 2004 as the wildcard.

It would be nice to win the division, but the team would rather rest it's players and get their starting rotation set-up.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
ONE GAME BACK BABY

And captain caveman, be that at is may.. But the entire RSN and Boston organization is STINGING right now that the "insurmountable" lead is now down to 1 in the loss column...

And IF that were the case, WHY did they bring PAP in with 4 outs to go DOWN 2-1 tonight? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? The same PAP that they have been SO careful with all year?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
ONE GAME BACK BABY

And captain caveman, be that at is may.. But the entire RSN and Boston organization is STINGING right now that the "insurmountable" lead is now down to 1 in the loss column...

And IF that were the case, WHY did they bring PAP in with 4 outs to go DOWN 2-1 tonight? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? The same PAP that they have been SO careful with all year?

Pap came in b/c he hasn't pitched in 5 games. If the Red Sox were so disperate to win why wasn't Dice-K, Manny, Coco and Youklis playing.

Think what you may to make yourself feel better. See ya in the playoffs.

edit - huh? Pap only pitched for two outs.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Go Yanks Go! I said back in June they'd come back to win the division... I hope they can pull it off!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
ONE GAME BACK BABY

Game and a half back right now. Plus the damn Sox get the Devil Rays again this year. Why do they seem to get the Devil Rays every other game down the stretch?

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
ONE GAME BACK BABY

Pap came in b/c he hasn't pitched in 5 games. If the Red Sox were so disperate to win why wasn't Dice-K, Manny, Coco and Youklis playing.

Think what you may to make yourself feel better. See ya in the playoffs.

edit - huh? Pap only pitched for two outs.

Dice-K - because they are setting up their rotation for the playoffs. Im not saying they dont mind getting in via the wild card.. but you really think thats how they would have wanted it? NO

Manny - hurt

Coco - bad back

Youk - sore after drilled by pitch from Wang

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
ONE GAME BACK BABY

Game and a half back right now. Plus the damn Sox get the Devil Rays again this year. Why do they seem to get the Devil Rays every other game down the stretch?

Rays play them tough, they wont roll over... If the Rays could hold a lead against the Sox their h2h record against them would be much better. They blew two big leads after the 8th in their last series...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Of course the Red Sox care! Come on! Read any of the big Red Sox blogs. They're almost suicidal.
I can't bleive the Yankees are 1 1/2 back, I really can't.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Fuckin A man they are gonna do it again 1.5 games. Red sox aren't just shitting themselves right now its explosive diarrhea

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Of course the Red Sox care! Come on! Read any of the big Red Sox blogs. They're almost suicidal.
I can't bleive the Yankees are 1 1/2 back, I really can't.

You didn't think they would finish 14 games back did you?? To much offensive firepower
on that team for that to happen. Nice comeback by the Sox today to keep 2.5 game
lead, next week should be VERY interesting!!.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Wasn't able to catch the first two games, but jeez, it doesn't look too good down 2-0 in a 5 game series. :(

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Wasn't able to catch the first two games, but jeez, it doesn't look too good down 2-0 in a 5 game series. :(

pwned by bugs and mediocrity! :laugh:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

first game was all indians. 2nd one NY had a chance but they let the indians load the bases 3 times with 1 out, they got out of it a few times but it was only a matter of time before they made them pay on that

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
And so, it ends.
Yankees have been playing catch-up all season. There is no room for that in a 5 game series.
I don't blame any one person. I blame the lack of timely hitting from the entore offense and the lack of getting the big pitch when it's needed.
The Indians got both, so they beat a much better team.
That's all there really is to it.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Indians were a better team this series but they were also getting a lot of breaks this series. A lot of pop-ups falling for base hits, the bugs, the hit-by-pitch. But oh well, like my friend said - when Yankees were winning their 4 rings all those breaks were going their way. So maybe it's evening out now.

As far as players,

I think a-rod is probably gone. I know people will defend him, but 3 hits and 1 HR late in the game is not what you expect from your MVP.
Torre is probably gone, don't think Boss is tghe kind of person that goes back on his word.
With Torre gone I don't see Rivera staying.
And I honestly don't think Posada should be resigned - with the season he had he'll demand a lot of money and I don't think you should pay 36 year catcher that much money.

With that said, I think it should all come down to pitching next year. The last 3 years Yankees got beat by a team with a better pitching, the winning formula has been good pitching with decent hitting.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
And so, it ends.
Yankees have been playing catch-up all season. There is no room for that in a 5 game series.
I don't blame any one person. I blame the lack of timely hitting from the entore offense and the lack of getting the big pitch when it's needed.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

The Indians have been good all season at hitting good pitching (I'm a Detroit fan). The tribe have three great starters, two great setup men (although, I hate Betancourt), and a so so closer. Starting pitching let the Yanks down this year.

btw-my Tigers will take your Arod.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JujuFish
The Indians got both, so the best team won.
Fixed that for ya. :)

That's just incorrect.
Go position by position and tell me they're a better team.
The Yankees beat them 7-0 in the regular season, but they certainly played better in this series. It's a short series. Whichever team plays better in this series wins. The Indians outpitched and outhit the Yankees in this series. They played with heart and guts, but there is no way I think they are better team.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
And so, it ends.

Will Joe be back?
Will Arod?
Who knows.

True to Yankees fan form. You admit they've been playing catch-up all season yet somehow logically in your head they're still the better team. :confused: