Officer who fatally shot Tamir Rice hired as a cop again

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
While minorities are being disproportionately affected by this, it's not just them.

I completely agree. I should have probably said 'especially when dealing with minorities.' It affects everyone, but a white person is much more likely to be given the benefit of the doubt, for the police office to at least try to ask them what is going on before shooting, or as we have seen multiple times, try to deescalate the problem before resorting to shooting. If it was a white kid in that park with the Airsoft gun the cop world have been much more likely to have waited longer before shooting, possible allowing them to realize that it was not a real gun, or for the kid to realize that they were talking to him, and he was in danger and drop the toy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You're right, I was mistaken about who you were calling incompetent.

I'm obviously not disagreeing about the dispatcher's incompetence. If anything, I think it's been de-emphasized here to favor an interpretation of the police on scene being at fault. I can't emphasize enough that they were not merely fed with incomplete information. They were fed with incorrect information. Altering "probably a fake gun" to "a gun" is a critical distinction which affected their entire mindset and approach to that scene. A person brandishing and pointing a real gun at people in a public place is an emergency!

I am not going to argue over the union or how the police handled their PR here either. I'll take your word on it that they screwed that up because police usually seem to do that in these situations.

My only point is what stemmed directly from the thread topic. That Loehmann should not have been hired in Florida. And I said right off, I agree they shouldn't have hired him but for reasons unrelated to the Rice incident. However, because of how the police were primed by dispatch, Rice's apparent age being older than his actual age, the realistic looking toy gun seeming to confirm what dispatch had said, and his drawing of the toy gun immediately after they got there, I think the shoot was reasonable under the circumstances. That is my point, and my only point.

How could a gun that wasn’t present when they rolled up confirm what dispatch said? The reason for shooting the suspect was because they thought he was pulling out a gun. So what the gun looked like is irrelevant. The fact remains, the gun wasn’t being waived around when they approached him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
How could a gun that wasn’t present when they rolled up confirm what dispatch said? The reason for shooting the suspect was because they thought he was pulling out a gun. So what the gun looked like is irrelevant. The fact remains, the gun wasn’t being waived around when they approached him.

No, the video shows he pulled the toy out of his waistband 2 seconds after they arrived.

Mar 11, 2004
So how did this result work out for them with regards to public opinion?

You shouldn't apologize for incompetence. It doesn't become you.

Not sure what his problem is lately but he's been doing that a LOT recently. There's a couple of posters that are like that too, where they'll post in rational ways most of the time but every so often where its like they can't help just being nonsencially absurd and then they get offended when called on it like they can't even see it.

Plus the cops claiming they were scared, well either they're such scaredy pants chickenshits that its affecting their work, wherein they should never be allowed to be operating in that sort of role ever again and any department that put them on the street in that condition should be charged with negligence, or they're full of shit manipulating people so they can get off murdering people - with the getting off being a double entendre (who was the cop that after chasing a suspect until they were trapped then jumped on the hood of their car and fired something like 40+ rounds into it? Fucker got off by claiming he was scared.)

Brelo’s trial resulted froma police chase on 29 November 2012, when Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell led police on a 20-minute pursuit that involved 60 police cars and about 100 police officers. The chase began when their car, a 1979 Chevy Malibu, apparently backfired as it passed police headquarters in downtown Cleveland. The noise was mistaken for a gunshot.

Police fired 137 shots at Malissa Williams, left, and Timothy Russell Photograph: Internet
Williams, 30, and Russell, 43, were boxed into a middle-school parking lot when 13 Cleveland police officers fired 137 shots into the car in an 18-second volley. Brelo fired the most – 49 shots total – including 15 at the end of the barrage while standing on the hood of the car, aiming at the pair through the windshield. Even though a dozen other officers fired 88 bullets into the car, only Brelo was charged.

Straight up fucking psychopaths. We're seeing what happens when you let the mental patients run the asylum. I would wager, probably at least 20% (wouldn't be surprised if its higher either) of cops are unfit for that duty, by that I mean if you gave them psych evals that they weren't given the answers to (something that happens by the way), they would fail them with at least one severe mental health disorder. Doubly unfortunate, those are the ones put in the most public facing positions, and thus put into situations that they clearly cannot handle, where they're allowed to whip fellow officers into a frenzy of idiocy.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
No, the video shows he pulled the toy out of his waistband 2 seconds after they arrived.

Exactly! After they arrived! Which means there was over two seconds for the cops to see and observe the suspect WITHOUT a gun. Is it standard practice to roll up on a suspect, in the way they did, who is not currently brandishing a weapon? Unless you know the answer for sure I don’t know how you could argue anything else but incompetence. To my eyes we are well passed incompetence and in the negligent territory.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Exactly! After they arrived! Which means there was over two seconds for the cops to see and observe the suspect WITHOUT a gun. Is it standard practice to roll up on a suspect, in the way they did, who is not currently brandishing a weapon? Unless you know the answer for sure I don’t know how you could argue anything else but incompetence. To my eyes we are well passed incompetence and in the negligent territory.

They had a description of his exact clothing and location. The 911 caller had evidently given a good description of what he was wearing. Rolling up on him seemed like the appropriate response, given that they were told (incorrectly, by the dispatcher) that someone matching this exact description was pointing a gun at people. They didn't fire until after he pulled the toy gun from his waistband. Incompetence here not found.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
They had a description of his exact clothing and location. The 911 caller had evidently given a good description of what he was wearing. Rolling up on him seemed like the appropriate response, given that they were told (incorrectly, by the dispatcher) that someone matching this exact description was pointing a gun at people. They didn't fire until after he pulled the toy gun from his waistband. Incompetence here not found.

So again, they rolled up to the situation without the slightest bit of observation first?

Let’s say, for arguments sake, that the suspect was indeed shooting people and had his gun out and aiming at victims, do you think it’s standard policy to roll up on a shooter like that?

I’m not sure what you are arguing about but any excuse of the actions taken by those cops in this particular instance is pretty disgusting.