Office XP Question (not a n00b question)

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
So I've exported EVERYTHING from EVERY program to my new computer.

BUT, I've got about 20 email accounts goin' in outlook ... and for the life of me I can't figure out how to export them so I don't have to re-enter the information!!!!

Anyone?

DanFungus

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
<--same dilema with Outlook Express....each time I have to setup the accounts again, but what I do is (dunno if it works for Outlook too) is to copy the email .dbx files and have a backup, so that when I re-install Outlook Express, I just put those .dbx files into the folder where Outlook Express gets it's messages, and they will be put in there....as for the accounts themselves, I have not found a way to do this in OE, but (not sarcastic) good luck finding it :)

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
lowtech - That method only exports the email messages, not the account information. :(

Thanks for the response though ...

Dibs

Feb 18, 2000
In Outlook/Outlook Express, go to "Tools," then click on "Accounts." Click on the "Mail" tab, and then highlight one of the accounts you want exported. Click on "Export," and pick a place to save the ".iaf" file. On your new computer, start Outlook/Outlook Express, go through the whole process again, but choose the "Import" option.

This has worked for me quite a few times.

Good luck!

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
*puzzled look*

I swear that functionality is not there in Office XP ... but I see it here at work, on Office 2000 ...

*swearing in every language I know*

(English, so what?)

Digobick

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
With Windows XP, Outlook stores its information in this folder:

(Note: make sure you have hidden files set to viewable)

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin (or whatever account you're logged in as)\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

Try copying these files and see if that will work. I know it'll work for replacing your contact list and saved emails, but I'm not sure about account settings.