office politics..

Fjive

May 15, 2001
I was recently blamed twice by 2 different people, for mistakes that I didnt do..and the managers only knows that I'm not capable of doing my job and the blame is on me now.

I'm frustrated and do not know how/what I can do to get out of these mess.. :confused::(

Oct 19, 2000
Is it possible to sit down with the manager and explain your side? Tell him/her you didn't think it was fair for being blamed for something, and then explain why. All bosses are different, though, so this route may be difficult.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Fjive
I was recently blamed twice by 2 different people, for mistakes that I didnt do..and the managers only knows that I'm not capable of doing my job and the blame is on me now.

I'm frustrated and do not know how/what I can do to get out of these mess.. :confused::(

talk to you mgr and explain that it wasnt you.

AND start looking for another job. you've been tagged as the scapegoat, and will be getting future blame for failure of others

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Talking to your manager about it isn't going to work. Most likely he'll shrug and say it's not his problem. That said, playing and surviving office politics is often part of being employed. If you can't beat it...then beat it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Originally posted by: blurredvision
Is it possible to sit down with the manager and explain your side? Tell him/her you didn't think it was fair for being blamed for something, and then explain why. All bosses are different, though, so this route may be difficult.

:thumbsup:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You could use the Irish approach and simply beat those that disagree with you. It's surprisingly effective.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Been there, done that. It blows over in a couple of weeks, and the people that blamed you will have to cross all their T's and dot all their i's or you can nail them.

Fjive

May 15, 2001
well...i'm an external consultant that is asgin to this client..it will be tough if I make a big mess out of it...my bosses always try to please the clients...if I talk to them they will probably want me to suck it up and get on with work...

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
well...i'm an external consultant that is asgin to this client..it will be tough if I make a big mess out of it...my bosses always try to please the clients...if I talk to them they will probably want me to suck it up and get on with work...

Oh, you forgot the 1st rule of office politics.

"Blame it on the contractors."

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Manager.

Some managers would be smart enough to see through must of the BS because they were once in your posistion. I'll never forget what my boss said to me when I first started, "You're the new guy. They want to see you fail".

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

doh! you should have added this to your OP. this is VITAL info you left out.

this changes things.

your a contractor. being the scapegoat comes w/the territory. you're basically a human target w/a big bullseye on your back.

if the people that unjustly pinned blame on you work for the client, suck it up. yeah, go and make some effort in clearing your name (as you always should do), but dont make a big stink about it if u value your job. it's EASY to remove contractors.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
keep your ass covered.

that was like the first thing I was taught when I started my current job... document everything you do, don't go above and beyond normal steps without getting the appropriate approval first, etc.

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
keep your ass covered.

that was like the first thing I was taught when I started my current job... document everything you do, don't go above and beyond normal steps without getting the appropriate approval first, etc.

:thumbsup:

all part of the CYA game...learn and practice it well...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
we got the crap hitting the fan around here
it sucks
just gotta stick to what you are supposed to do and hope your manager is on your side/covers you

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
we got the crap hitting the fan around here
it sucks
just gotta stick to what you are supposed to do and hope your manager is on your side/covers you

What type of business do you work at?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Man up and tell the boss what actually happened.

Koin

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

Oh, you forgot the 1st rule of office politics.

"Blame it on the contractors."

Interns and new hires work well for placing blame as well. Since they're new and inexperienced, people kinda expect them to screw up.

This can come back to bite you in the ass if you were in charge of training them, though! An Intern's best defense for any mistake is "My mentor/trainer Mr. X didn't teach me that when I asked them to!", whether they did or not.