Office 365, adding MS Access

martin778

May 17, 2016
I've already dropped my question on MS's forums but since there is no response there I decided to ask around on various It forums.

My company already has two Office 365 subscriptions with 17 users on the Essential and 5 users on the Business versions. What I need to create is a database system where they can view/read/modify/add data about customers and systems.
My idea is to create an MS Access 2016 database and add a WebApp to Sharepoint where employees can interact with it.
It must be quite straightforward not involve any coding.
We have a lot of different parameters, so an out of the box CRM won't work.

Is there a way to add MS Access to Office 365 without migrating the whole company to Enterprise E3? (Which I think is utterly unneccessary for 98% of our employess and will be very expensive compared to our current plan).
I had a chat with a Microsoft guy but he wasn't of any help, his response was "Microsoft wants everyone who uses Access to purchase their own license" though I only need 1 license for a development PC and the employees will only access it through our SharePoint site.

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
If you develop a MS Access webapp, you don't need Access to use it. That is the entire point of the web app. Obviously, the users won't be able to modify the actual database, but are still able to use it.