"Offensive" passage in a Confederate book displayed in Republican congressman Drew Ferguson's office

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Why is racial variation the only “real” form of diversity? The term has become dogmatic to the point that its meaningless.

So your argument is that since white people can have diverse backgrounds it negates any racial consideration of the fact the Trump only hires white males?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So your argument is that since white people can have diverse backgrounds it negates any racial consideration of the fact the Trump only hires white males?
My argument is that racial consideration is not a prerequisite to achieve diversity, and asserting racial considerations is a myopic way to approach the discussion.

As far as the OP, the opened page is no accident and is indicative of the manifest destiny worldview that was the unfortunate original sin in the founding of our country.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
My argument is that racial consideration is not a prerequisite to achieve diversity, and asserting racial considerations is a myopic way to approach the discussion.

As far as the OP, the opened page is no accident and is indicative of the manifest destiny worldview that was the unfortunate original sin in the founding of our country.
Manifest destiny is based on ideology, racism is based on me and mine are better than you. A fine line for sure but, a significant one.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

But that was not what you were responding to.

Here is your post where you quote HomerJS

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...n-drew-fergusons-office.2561277/post-39738117

I can walk us through the A->B->C->D but do I really have to? Ill spell it out if I have to.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Manifest destiny is based on ideology, racism is based on me and mine are better than you. A fine line for sure but, a significant one.
Was Robert E Lee a racist or a military officer that was a product of his environment and prevailing attitudes at the time?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh Slow, is this what you mean by left? The left side of the picture? Cause then you'd be right.
Cn0l75aWgAAKFKa.jpg

And this is what ima gonna do, everytime I see your false fact alt right retarded propaganda drivel, I am gonna spam this piece of fine jpeg fact in your face. So keep it coming.

1) That's not racism.

2) WTF does this have to do with you dolts equating an old book someone had in their office, open to a page that had an offensive paragraph in it, make this guy a bigot? I'm still waiting for that to be explained. So far all I've seen is TDS-induced retardation. Surely you'll be able to find a displayed behavior of racism..?

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Was Robert E Lee a racist or a military officer that was a product of his environment and prevailing attitudes at the time?

What is Lee's claim to fame? That he led insurrection to keep black Americans' ancestors in chains. It was the bloodiest war in our History. The fact that white people still idolize him reveals just how clueless we can be when it comes to the sensibilities of black Americans. Ferguson shouldn't have that book on display at all.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So which one are they celebrating? A racist or a traitor?
Yes. I did want to mention Slow's dismissal of the book as if being old means it can't possibly be relevant. I've noticed republicans and Trumptards specifically seem to have little use for history. I wonder if it's because they only care about themselves?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
What is Lee's claim to fame? That he led insurrection to keep black Americans' ancestors in chains. It was the bloodiest war in our History. The fact that white people still idolize him reveals just how clueless we can be when it comes to the sensibilities of black Americans. Ferguson shouldn't have that book on display at all.
Like many officers of his generation, Lee fought in campaigns of manifest destiny. He was a hero of the Mexican War yet a traitor for the Civil War. There were decorated Union officers who also unashamedly slaughtered Native Americans. As late as the 1990s, Lee was a storied and celebrated general at the Army War College and even the Infrantry branch.

If it were as simple as contemporary attitudes towards race, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
1) That's now racism.

2) WTF does this have to do with you dolts equating an old book someone had in their office, open to a page that had an offensive paragraph in it, make this guy a bigot? I'm still waiting for that to be explained. So far all I've seen is TDS-induced retardation. Surely you'll be able to find a displayed behavior of racism..?
Its an exact counter to the moron post i responded to, putting your lies and deciet on display. You are welcome. Anytime.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
What you perceive as disjointed I see as a linear progression of the discussion, and it is not worth your time or mine to unravel the disconnect.
You countered a post by claiming a logical fallacy. Pure and simple. You objected to Homers post by stating something that in no form or interpretation can be used as an argument to disagree with the content of his post.
Or you didnt disagree with Homers post?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Like many officers of his generation, Lee fought in campaigns of manifest destiny. He was a hero of the Mexican War yet a traitor for the Civil War. There were decorated Union officers who also unashamedly slaughtered Native Americans. As late as the 1990s, Lee was a storied and celebrated general at the Army War College and even the Infrantry branch.

If it were as simple as contemporary attitudes towards race, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Gawd. The Army war college studies generals from Sun Tsu to to Rommel to Giap & his brilliant execution of the Ho Chi Minh trail, all for reasons having nothing to do with civilian governance. None of it is political.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
That word has become a joke simply because everyone finds everything offensive.

I agree! In fact, I'm offended at your being offended about others being offended by this offense!

It's an offense onion... layers and layers of offense.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Gawd. The Army war college studies generals from Sun Tsu to to Rommel to Giap & his brilliant execution of the Ho Chi Minh trail, all for reasons having nothing to do with civilian governance. None of it is political.
It is one thing to study a historic figure and quite another to honor him.