Off work for 3 weeks :D

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
'ave it!!!!!

It felt very satisfying to put my out of office reply saying I'm out from the 30th July 207 till the 20th August 2007 :D

I really enjoy my job but 3 weeks off to work as a summer camp supervisor is going to be great fun. 3 weeks actually out in the sun (hopefully :p, English weather is very unpredictable) doing activities is sweet.

Monday is paintball day for me, so I get to shoo the kids :thumbsup:

Updates:
30th July 2007:
Paintballing all day activity. Me and 2 other supervisors and 21 kids. 12 vs 12. The kids love me (how could they not?!) and we had a lot of fun. I loved the gorgeous weather in England. Sunny, awesomely blue skies, just felt so great to be out and enjoying the weather as oppose to being in my office! Don't get me wrong I love my job but 3 weeks doing activities is BAD ASS.

It felt kind of surreal that the kids (10-16) were calling me an 'adult' or 'the big one' or other tid bits at the time. I know I'm an adult but it just felt weird for them to address me this way :p. I don't feel old in the slightest. I'll probably feel young forever. It was funny having the kids guess my age and some believed I was 18.

This one kid also said he was 'Chinlish'. I was like wtf?! Then he explained it was for half Chinese half English. And yes his mental arithmetic was sharp.

I've noticed a lot of the kids are all talk and no go. A lot are scared and not very gutsy when doing capture the flag or speedball. They just camp it out and shoot from afar. Me I was running and I was it 8x in the first 3 rounds :p haha. Ended up with 20hits or so. I didn't want to do too much for the kids as I wanted them to do it for themselves and it would have been too unfair.

At the end we played an all vs all with the little paint we had left. I snuck up to this girl and had her in my sights and I shot her in her leg, body, arms and head multiple times as I'm a sadistic f0cker! j/k!!! Nah, I just chilled but this kid from the other side I saw earlier shot me in my crotch! I was like wtf?! He's suppose to shoot me as I had let him off and I didn't want to hurt him so much. The pain funnily enough just bounced off my 2 big brassy ones. So I was still in the game. I let rip with a barrage of shots and one nailed him on the hand and he started to cry :(, whoops!

At the end I was just chilling by the road side enjoying the weather, waiting for the coach to come pick is up. A cop car pulled over to see how I was. Looking back it was rather DODGY, me just lying their looking up at the sky by the T junction off the main road :p. We sorted that out and he was on his way. Felt amazing to be out and just free of the pressures of work. But I have the responsibility to look after the kids and to make sure they are all okay and having fun.

Far too bad it doesn't pay nearly enough (for a real job) and it is only for 3 weeks. I may do a Camp America for 3 months or so in 3-4yrs time depending on how my situation is. I'd have to somehow get a squat rack and bumper plates so I could lift properly though! After the days paintballing I went and thrashed it out at the gym :thumbsup:

Question
I was talking to my mate James. At what point would you ditch your job for a job that paid less but was a lot of fun? Currently the summer camp job is about 70% of my real job working 20% more hrs. But in a years time it would be about 30% or lower. Is it sad that I'd take the job that pays 3x more that is ultimately less fufillling and less rewarding to people? When I do the summer camp position I do feel that I make a difference to the kids lives. Most are 10-16 and very impressional. Last year I helped this girl get a bit closer to helping her deal with her fear of heights! That felt very cool. She had to climb a pole that was 10m up in the air using these little steps and then to climb on to the top ledge which is about the size of a dustbin lid. You had to get 4 people at the top of it.

Or is it me being realistic as this job would not never allow me purchase a house anytime soon, if ever on it's current pay? 3x+ pay difference is just too great. Or is me being too materialistic? I have some cool stuff but don't spend much of it and haven't bought anything in ages. Most is tied up in my house, investing and will be ploughed in to a business venture. I drive a £600 that I actually enjoy because of it's cheapness and simplicity. It just keeps on running.

I don't think an all year around summer camp position actually exisits anyway in England. I could do a Camp America thing for a good length of time in the summer though

If I didn't like my job (fulltime one) it would be a lot easier. I find my job challenging and interesting. I am learning a lot everyday and will do so for years. I have great mates at work and I train at lunchtimes which works out perfect for me.

Koing

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Sounds like a fun way to relax as long as it does not get stressful.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
ah you Europeans with your long vacations! I took 8 days off (7/9-7/18) and my boss almost had a heart attack (jokingly)

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
ah you Europeans with your long vacations! I took 8 days off (7/9-7/18) and my boss almost had a heart attack (jokingly)

It's nice but I pay quite a lot in taxes etc...

I incidently had 2 weeks off at easter. I went to the Canary Islands for 2 weeks sprint training.

My company's pretty flexible with holiday. 23 days with each year gaining an extra day to a max of 25 and I can carry days to the following year or take them as cash instead. I can also apprently book some unpaid leave. This one guy has had 6 weeks off already!

Koing

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: binister
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I've been off work for over 3-1/2 years...and still get paid.

Milking the system?

Nah...total temporary disability. I have 1-1/2 years or so left to finish schooling (voc-rehab) then I MIGHT be able to go back to work. (that's still to be decided by the doctors later)
I fought to stay at work when I got hurt, but the doctors over-rode me and made the company send me home. (probably a good thing in retrospect)
I TRIED to go back to work a couple of times, but the docs keep saying NO--NO--NO!
I enjoyed what I did, was good at it, and it paid well. Sitting at home is fine for a couple of weeks, but long-term, it sux...especially when you're busted up and can't do much.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Milking the system?

Nah...total temporary disability. I have 1-1/2 years or so left to finish schooling (voc-rehab) then I MIGHT be able to go back to work. (that's still to be decided by the doctors later)
I fought to stay at work when I got hurt, but the doctors over-rode me and made the company send me home. (probably a good thing in retrospect)
I TRIED to go back to work a couple of times, but the docs keep saying NO--NO--NO!
I enjoyed what I did, was good at it, and it paid well. Sitting at home is fine for a couple of weeks, but long-term, it sux...especially when you're busted up and can't do much.

What happened?

Koing

Oct 11, 2000

Milking the system?

I hope you get better man. That would be seriously bad :(

I value my health and physical prowess like no other. When I hurt my back in Gymnastics and couldn't Olympic lift for 9months I was SO gutted :(. Competiting is a huge part of my life and not being able to train put a huge spanner in to that.

Koing

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
I would (almost) kill just for just a couple of weeks off!
A year ago, after I completed my last project, I had 4 weeks of vacation due, I asked my boss if I could take 4 weeks off & he said yes, and added that he would give me another 4 weeks with pay!
Then things changed. I had 2 weeks off & then had to start this current project (by request of the customer).
I'll be done here by the end of August, hopefully I'll get some more time off then.

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
update 30th July 2007:
All day activity
Paintball