Off topic need help with KVM topic and UHD and build

StitchExperimen

Feb 14, 2012
Help me piece the puzzle together. I need help with KVM. From what I have gleaned is there is a a couple of software versions but I don't understand them and from my understanding of virtual machines you can only support 8 machines on Gb connection depending on frame rate. KVM over IP Catx seems to be able to only support One UHD or 1080p x2 (I don't know how it's connected at the client).
I've never had dual monitors besides a laptop screen (too small for me) and a 1080p HDTV.
So next part appears a hardware KVM with displayport (I don't really game but I like 40 inch or bigger screens so that will help out the next part of the explanation).
Can I use something like this to convert the output of displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54 and will it not screw up the signal from the KVM switch?

Next, I'm out of touch with graphic cards and I can use the heat in winter so if I can get a card that will display 4K and crunch I could use some advice and I use to buy GPUs in the $200 range so you can date me by that.

I'm now into servers with ecc memory and am looking at building this http://www.techspot.com/review/1218-affordable-40-thread-xeon-monster-pc/
2 CPUs 40 threads any comments?

Bruce

-

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Haven't tried that myself yet. But for example the Aten desktop KVM switches for 4k DisplayPort (CS1922 and CS1924) are specified to support both "passive" DP to HDMI or DVI adapters which utilize DP dual mode, as well as "active" DP to HDMI or DVI adapters which do not require the video source to support DP dual mode. However, I haven't found whether this actually works for 4k @ 60 Hz, or only 30 Hz.

But if you target about $200 as the budget for a graphics card, a KVM switch with 4k support is going to be costly in comparison. So far I have found monitors with two or more inputs to be a sufficiently convenient solution for myself. (Besides ssh access to Linux nodes, or RDP access to Windows nodes.)

If your secondary PC is meant to be used almost exclusively for distributed computing, then keep in mind that the BOINC manager as well as the FAHControl GUI both support control of remote nodes. You only need to enable remote access on the compute node initially.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
If you just need to check in on the remote computer(s) to see if they are doing their thing, TeamViewer works well, but you can't access BIOS or anything outside of the operating system. Once the hardware moved from VGA cables to DVI and beyond, KVM switch prices seemed to multiply ten-fold. :mad:

As for the video card, you'll have to decide which projects you want to crunch, but generally you'll probably be looking at the lower spec Nvidia 10-series cards.

StitchExperimen

Feb 14, 2012
What venders of 1060 or 1070 would be best?
Back ~3 years some were considered better or worse.

StitchExperiment626

-

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This, despite their recent issue with some 1070s.

Yes, it was actually a non-issue, I had 3 of the cards that ran for months@100% 24/7/365 with no issue, then I RMA'ed them, just to get new cards.

I actually have 12 EVGA cards, and only one died, and that was a "used" card they sent me to replace the VRAM card, which was working fine ! I should have not RMA's the vram card.

Last edited:

bds71

Nov 29, 2016
I will say this: EVGA has (from my experiences) the best customer service of any gpu vender. their handling of RMA's is second to none (again, based on my own experiences). they may or may not always have the best/fastest product on the market, but if they have issues with their cards, they do what they can to fix the problem. the same, most certainly, can not be said for all venders. (ASUS can suck it as far as I'm concerned - enough said).

Reactions: TennesseeTony