Off to the in-laws' this weekend.... :(

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone else have to do this crap periodically? As in, not just for holidays, births, and deaths? We live in a place with no good stores or entertainment, so we go to Birmingham (my in-laws) or Memphis (My sister) every now and then to get a little shopping and stuff done. Of course, these trips also turn into visits. Well, on the bright side, at least now that we're married, we can sleep in the same bed/ROOM when we visit her family. Here's the weird part:

About a month or two after we got married, she had to go to Birmingham to pick up her bird (we had left it there to go on vacation), and I had JUST started a new job and graduate classes. So, she just said, "You don't want to go home with me, right?" No, I didn't. She didn't expect me to, and she didn't care. It never crossed my mind, or hers. So, I stayed home and worked and rested all weekend. Well, EVERYONE in her family was like "WHERE IS RICKY?!" all weekend. She just kept telling them "He didn't come....he had things to do", and they were all so freaked out and concerned and stuff. IT WAS A WEEKEND VISIT! We didn't think it was a big deal! Then, I talked to my parents, and they asked how the weekend was, and I told them mine was fine...I didn't go with her. They were like "WHAT?" Now, my parents are VERY down-to-earth, and not usually concerned with stupid crap like that, but they were giving me flack about it too! Apparently, once you're married, you are NOT to travel without your spouse. According to my parents, it's a good diplomatic move to always go with her when she goes there. GOod family politics. WTF? SO, anyway, off I go, because Heather needs some new clothes. :(

Ricky
DesignDawg

Cheapster

Dec 31, 2000
Hmmm..sounds like a d*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't situation. If I didn't feel like going because of other things I had to do, and the Mrs. didn't mind me staying, then I'd stay. Remember, they're in-laws, they'll die off before you do! ;) All it comes down to is keeping your wife happy, nobody else.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I wish it was that simple. Unfortunately, though their opinion of me doesn't really matter that much to me, it is always a good idea for your in-laws to like you. If you miss a few visits and they get the impression that you don't like being around them, the feeling will become mutual. --And her mom is already pissed at me right now because I decided we would wait before getting Heather a new car. The way I see it, when you marry a person, you marry their family as well. --So I have to try to keep ALL of them happy. Oh well.... Gotta go pack. :confused:

Ricky
DesignDawg

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yes, visits are necessary. I don't always go with my wife but usually I don't skip many in order to keep the peace.

Funny story. We went to Italy for our honeymoon. When we got back we stopped off in our old home state and stayed with my parents for two days before going to our home. I was a bit sick and we did not run over immediately to see them. They were so pissed! Didn't matter that my ass was never more than 5 feet from the toliet. They expected a prompt vist and we didn't deliver. The next few visits were chilly.

I understand.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the reaction was because you just got married. After a while, they'll see that you usually (but not always) come, and that will be OK.

Oct 9, 1999
I think its due to the fact they dont want to see the marriage go bad. THat is why they want to see both of you.

HOld on to it for a while and sooner or later it wouldnt be a problem.