Off-season work on my bike...

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Ok, when riding season comes to an end in November (not going out in the snow after what happened last time), I'll have some time for some projects on my bike.

For my 1994 CBR 1000F:

1) My radiator gets really hot in summer traffic and I want to cut out the Honda emblem right between my speedo and tach and create an override switch that I would activate by pushing the emblem (there's nothing underneath it)

2) the previous owner put on a Vance & Hines full SuperSport system setup (read: very loud, like a modified Harley). What I want to know is, could I take the silencer can off of say, for example a 954, and use the can and the piping to where it comes apart right by the rear shock (right after the 4-2-1 conversion)??

Problem I see with this is most bikes with a stock exhaust have 2 1/2" to 3" piping while my exhaust uses 2" piping

3) Changing the rear tailight block (2 bulbs in a large, continuous housing with a cheap plastic film on it to make it look like 2 individual setups) into an LED setup??

4) A lot of the newer bikes have a 'Pass' button on their turn signal assembly. I was wondering if I could swap out an assembly off a bike that had all the stuff I wanted and hook it up to my bike (pitcure of current setup can be found
here #8)

I'll think of more stuff as I go along

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Does the cannister have an attachment point on it, like to a footpeg or anything? If you find the correct diameter, it should work, seem to remember one of my aftermarket exhausts had an attachment point that was bike specific. You might have to have something welded on the replacement.

I'd leave the fan alone, personally.

Don't know about the LED mods, should be able to mod it, problem is to make it look good.

Just solve your dilemma by selling it to me:D

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Originally posted by: malbojah
Ok, when riding season comes to an end in November (not going out in the snow after what happened last time), I'll have some time for some projects on my bike. For my 1994 CBR 1000F: 1) My radiator gets really hot in summer traffic and I want to cut out the Honda emblem right between my speedo and tach and create an override switch that I would activate by pushing the emblem (there's nothing underneath it) 2) the previous owner put on a Vance & Hines full SuperSport system setup (read: very loud, like a modified Harley). What I want to know is, could I take the silencer can off of say, for example a 954, and use the can and the piping to where it comes apart right by the rear shock (right after the 4-2-1 conversion)?? Problem I see with this is most bikes with a stock exhaust have 2 1/2" to 3" piping while my exhaust uses 2" piping 3) Changing the rear tailight block (2 bulbs in a large, continuous housing with a cheap plastic film on it to make it look like 2 individual setups) into an LED setup?? 4) A lot of the newer bikes have a 'Pass' button on their turn signal assembly. I was wondering if I could swap out an assembly off a bike that had all the stuff I wanted and hook it up to my bike (pitcure of current setup can be found here #8) I'll think of more stuff as I go along

BITE YOUE TOUNGE! A Honda will NEVER sound like a Harley thank god. My friend has a Honda 929 with an aftermarket pipe on it, VERY sweet sounding.

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Desslok
Originally posted by: malbojah
Ok, when riding season comes to an end in November (not going out in the snow after what happened last time), I'll have some time for some projects on my bike. For my 1994 CBR 1000F: 1) My radiator gets really hot in summer traffic and I want to cut out the Honda emblem right between my speedo and tach and create an override switch that I would activate by pushing the emblem (there's nothing underneath it) 2) the previous owner put on a Vance & Hines full SuperSport system setup (read: very loud, <STRONG>like a modified Harley</STRONG>). What I want to know is, could I take the silencer can off of say, for example a 954, and use the can and the piping to where it comes apart right by the rear shock (right after the 4-2-1 conversion)?? Problem I see with this is most bikes with a stock exhaust have 2 1/2" to 3" piping while my exhaust uses 2" piping 3) Changing the rear tailight block (2 bulbs in a large, continuous housing with a cheap plastic film on it to make it look like 2 individual setups) into an LED setup?? 4) A lot of the newer bikes have a 'Pass' button on their turn signal assembly. I was wondering if I could swap out an assembly off a bike that had all the stuff I wanted and hook it up to my bike (pitcure of current setup can be found here #8) I'll think of more stuff as I go along

BITE YOUE TOUNGE! A Honda will NEVER sound like a Harley thank god. My friend has a Honda 929 with an aftermarket pipe on it, VERY sweet sounding.

I'm sorry, please don't beat me :)

malbojah

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Does the cannister have an attachment point on it, like to a footpeg or anything? If you find the correct diameter, it should work, seem to remember one of my aftermarket exhausts had an attachment point that was bike specific. You might have to have something welded on the replacement.

I'd leave the fan alone, personally.

Don't know about the LED mods, should be able to mod it, problem is to make it look good.

Just solve your dilemma by selling it to me:D

The canister does not have an attachment point, it's rivited to the pipe. The pipe has an attachment point, using a spring to hold it together, right below where my feet are.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
You need to ask your dealer or a shop in your area. Unless you come across someone here who has done the same work to the same bike, you're out of luck. Too many variables for people to tell you anything online.

As for your exhaust, you could check on the possibilty of either repacking the muffler you already have, or getting a replacement with a street baffle from V&H (if available). A used stock exhaust might be another route you could take.