OEM XP "Upgrade" locked to specific brand?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Long ago, I purchased a Compaq laptop that came with Windows ME and paid extra to get the eventual XP Upgrade (They shipped when XP was eventually released).

The upgrade says "For distribution with a Compaq PC" but I've seen many cases where that didn't mean a damn thing when it comes to Windows Product Activation. Because this was not preinstalled, will it work with any PC? I still have it new and sealed and I'm trying to sell it on eBay.

This is a hardware question regarding BIOS/brand locks + activation!

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yes those "Recovery CD's" will only boot or install if they detect the correct bios.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This is not a "recovery CD" or "restore CD".b It's a Windows XP Home Edition upgrade disc.

I am also curious to know if such a disc can be locked to a Compaq BIOS.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ichinisan
This is not a "recovery CD" or "restore CD".b It's a Windows XP Home Edition upgrade disc.

I am also curious to know if such a disc can be locked to a Compaq BIOS.

Yes. Dell's OEM CDs are.

It's irrelevant anyway, as OEM licenses aren't transferrable to other machines.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
This is not an OEM full-install disc. It is an upgrade version.

You seem fairly insistent even thought the op is CZroe.. you guys brothers or something? :confused:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: networkman
This is not an OEM full-install disc. It is an upgrade version.

You seem fairly insistent even thought the op is CZroe.. you guys brothers or something? :confused:

Yes. Twins in fact. It is an "upgrade" version and is already sold on eBay. I can only cross my fingers as I told my buyer that it would work. He's had it for a few days so I figure I'll be hearing from him soon if it doesn't. Thanks!