OEM cpus, not for sale?

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I use to always buy oem cpus because I didn't need the oem heatsink and it was cheaper. Can you not buy oem cpus anymore? Why not? I only see a few older oem AMD cpus for sale at newegg.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I use to always buy oem cpus because I didn't need the oem heatsink and it was cheaper. Can you not buy oem cpus anymore? Why not? I only see a few older oem AMD cpus for sale at newegg.
OEM CPUs were often relabeled as faster CPUs, and with earlier Athlons, they were even overclocked. While uncommon in the US, elsewhere it was burning legit customers on a regular basis. Retail boxed CPUs, with those annoying stickers, have been one of the ways to curb this problem.

IIRC, there were even some cases of literally fake CPUs, where they were just dummies.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well remarking has not really been a problem as of late. you can still get tray units from some places that have a 1 year warranty. but its more places like provantage etc, and you do not get a large discount on it either.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I dont remember any articles saying the OEM processors were overclocked?

I read an article MANY moons ago about some operation in Europe that was Jerry-rigging Slot A Athlons so they could sell them oced and as higher specced parts. This was before magic fingers came along.

Then again, it could have been Jerry-rigged Slot 1's.

That was a long time ago.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I read an article MANY moons ago about some operation in Europe that was Jerry-rigging Slot A Athlons so they could sell them oced and as higher specced parts. This was before magic fingers came along.

Then again, it could have been Jerry-rigged Slot 1's.

That was a long time ago.

Yeah. I remember that. Pentium II 300's re-enabled to be 400's and sold as the latter. First, it was Intel's practice of producing them all off the same production line, then a final production operation that deliberately disabled the feature making them run faster, and binning them after that. Second, because of that practice, some Indonesian or Thai outfit was modifying and counterfeiting.

Then, rumors abounded that FTC was scrutinizing Intel's customer web-site, and eye-balling the company for potential regulatory action.

Time flies. That was a long time ago. Late '90s.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Ewiz usually has a much larger selection of OEM chips than Newegg.

Thanks for the link. They even have a OEM i3 2100. Not that much cheaper though. Was looking for a cheap 2500K then it just hit me a few days ago that I hadn't ran across any oem's.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Thanks for the link. They even have a OEM i3 2100. Not that much cheaper though. Was looking for a cheap 2500K then it just hit me a few days ago that I hadn't ran across any oem's.

i would figure itwill be hard to find K series in oem versions just because that is mostly a "retail" type thing.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Was looking for a cheap 2500K then it just hit me a few days ago that I hadn't ran across any oem's.

As mentioned, the "K"'s are for overclockers, and as the main OEM buyers (ie: dell, ibm, hp ect) are not catering to that crowd, they buy the non-k cpus as they are cheaper. So intel does not make OEM K's.

If you can not find OEM non-K's, then I would find it odd.