Ode to Virtual Machines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
How I do love VM's... Oh let me count the ways...

Begin with a baseline, simple and true.
Clone it One time, now that equals Two.
Download utilities to get stuff for free.
Clone it once more and now that makes Three!
Torrents and torrents and torrents galore.
Been lucky so far now time to clone Four.
Create Five and Six as I thicken the mix.
Clone Seven and Eight to keep it all straight.
So far so good but suddenly then..
a VIRUS on Nine as I was about to clone Ten!
No reason for panic; just back up one state..
Blow Nine away and start back at Eight!

JoLLyRoger - 02-07-2013

Last edited:

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I've been playing with them recently as well. Initially I just wanted to add more tasks to my file server while abstracting the configuration details away. I had a file server that did WSUS and was a torrentbox. I also installed a L4D server on it. All of this was possible but there were always configuration headaches. And if I upgraded the hardware there were always problems transferring it over. It seems wasteful to have multiple machines that could all be run on one at first but it really simplifies configuration time and backup. I also want to do a PVR backend in a virtual machine but it seems like USB is a little whacky in virtualbox.

But with that project underway I'm finding its really useful on my main machine as well as a crapware absorber, testing network configurations fast or getting incompatible software up and running. There even seems to be PCI-E pass though stuff that I haven't really worked with yet. I have a fucking K processor (I should have just bought a regular, I don't even overclock anymore) so I don't think it supports it unfortunately but the ability to use an old video card to play an old game while still booted in my main machine is of great interest to me.

Its pretty powerful and while I always acknowledged its usefulness with servers I think there's a lot more this can be made to do. With a seamless enough setup and could actually be an important tool for breakaway from Microsoft lock in as well.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
What xanis said :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
yeah they're a real hoot until your core-switch craps itself and reboots cutting the connection between your ESXi hosts which causes them to go into harakari-mode and when you finally get shit up and running again host 3 refuses to start its VMs telling you dirty rotten lies about a power failure that never occured...

Status
Not open for further replies.