Odds that some next gen GC's or price drop will happen before Xmas?

notigg

Aug 30, 2011
what are the odds that either AMD or nvidia will release some neg generation cards before christmas? I heard a rumor but am not sure

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
neg generation? Is that like, cards that perform worse than the prior generation? You mean like a BullDozer CPU? I hope not.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I'd say 50/50 for AMD. They are still saying this year, but you can't count on AMD releases being on time. nVidia has flatly said next year.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
Even if they had this stuff stockpiling in storehouses, they wouldn't release it till after the holidays in order to not confuse the x-mas shoppers. The chip roll-out is gradual starting from high- to low-end or from mobile to desktop. They can't do that in two weeks at the end of the year. It's also a different architecture, which would make driver support for both old and new cards really hard, after the current flood of game releases...

Q1, 2012 some say Q2, 2012, because their Radeon 7000HD rumors turned out to be some 40nm re-branded mobile cards. Past three generations have been released June-November.

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
Rumors point to early Jan for AMDs high end 7 series. I would wait a few weeks and see what happens..I wouldn't buy anything this close.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I doubt we will see any price cuts until next year at some point. When several video cards are returned because they could have been unwanted gifts, not compatable, etc... I am sure this happens with most products actually. So I would expect a price cut sometime January.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
At this point, the chance of any next gen cards or significant price changes on current gen cards before Christmas is right about zero.

If you're an optimist you can still hope, but that won't change the fact that nothing significant will change before Christmas. There's only like a week and a half before Christmas. Online purchases don't have time to get to customers without paying for expensive shipping options. If they were going to release before Christmas, they would have done so when people could buy them online without 2 day shipping.

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Next-gen 28nm cards from AMD in the second week of January. So its a four week wait or buy something cheap today and get a fast new card next month.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
paper launch........if we are luckY

Paper-launch means you can't even buy the card, only see the full specs and benchmarks.

Just like the 5870 launch there will be limited supply because of new cards on a new node that are in very high demand. But like the 5870 launch, if you want a 7970 or 7950 badly enough, you'll be able to buy one after they launch next month with some good etailor camping.

Last edited: