Oddpost.com sucks.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
I've been using the service for more than a few months now, and have grown to dislike Oddpost for various reasons:

1. The search function is buggy. Often the search won't work, finding different items each time for the same search term. Other times, it will need to be reset, that is, changing the term and then changing back to allow the search. All sorts of coaxing are required to make it work, and even then, its only partially successful.

2. Quite often, clicking on a header won't bring up the message. I've had to wait upwards of 20 seconds to view messages. Sometimes, I just use that same "reset" trick above, clicking on another message and then clicking back on message I want to read. This is pathetica and unacceptable.

3. If there are any significant amounts of messages in a folder, it can take upwards of 25 seconds to load the folder. AND until fully loaded, the user is paralyzed from doing anything in that folder!

4. 2 and 3 are simply a symptom of the overarching problem with Oddpost: it is abysmally slow. Right from the login, which takes 15 seconds to open a new window, to usage of the site, its all SLOW. And I am using a 1ghz computer, so processing power is definitely not the bottleneck here.

In sum, yeah, its a cute interface, but that's about it. Oddpost's big sell (and priority) seems to projecting a quirky aesthetic - with the first name basis familiarity and dorkhumor - than providing a fast and tight functionality.

I will not be renewing my subscription.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
WTF? Who wants all that crap for email? Why --err, let me rephrase. What exactly are you looking for as far as email usage goes? Is reading cnn or msnbc not good enough?

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: bradruth
Wait...you PAID for EMAIL!? Bwahahahaha!

;)

I pay every month for my email. But that's what happens when you own a domain and don't want to have to worry about DNS issues and an ISP that slapps you down for breaking the EULA (no servers) stemming from hosting from home.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Originally posted by: bradruth
Wait...you PAID for EMAIL!? Bwahahahaha!

;)

I pay every month for my email. But that's what happens when you own a domain and don't want to have to worry about DNS issues and an ISP that slapps you down for breaking the EULA (no servers) stemming from hosting from home.

I didn't think about that. I've gone from using an ISP email to now using my UND email. After I graduate I'll probably use an email from whichever agency I'm working for (probably the GFPD for a while) or an ISP.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
I'm well aware of getting a host for a domain and then using the 2 or three accounts available with it. However, I've never liked the GUIs available with those. I like my e-mail to look slick - I use it often enough that I enjoy having it customizable and pleasing.

I just signed up with mailsnare, and like it alot.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: DigDug
bump. to warn everyone

rolleye.gif
like anyone else here really cares? I hardly think that many people here actually use a service like that. It's more like the AOL of email. First of all, when you register a domain and get hosting for it, I can't think of a single quality host that actually limits the number of email address boxes that you can have. Also, you can customize the webmail aspect by installing something other than the n00b version of Pine or something. Like Squirrelmail. Squirrelmail rocks. And almost every single quality host that I've found allows for pop3 access - so you can use Outlook (or Outlook express *shudder*).

The moral of this story is that if you aren't lazy about it, you can have much better than and complete control over what you're willing to settle over right now.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DigDug
I'm well aware of getting a host for a domain and then using the 2 or three accounts available with it. However, I've never liked the GUIs available with those. I like my e-mail to look slick - I use it often enough that I enjoy having it customizable and pleasing.

I just signed up with mailsnare, and like it alot.
? most every hosting plan lets you use Eudora or Outlook to read & send mail, as well as whatever webmail interface they offer. They're not like free mail services where you have to use webmail.

But if you love webmail, I guess finding a service with power-user webmail is the best choice for you.