Odd Upgrade Question

Yaemish2

Nov 30, 2016
Hopefully this one isn't the standard. I've got a Xeon laying around and I should be using it, rather than having two separate PCs I am considering using it on my gaming computer. Unfortunately, there isn't any information about the e5-2695v3 related to gaming benchmarks. I'm hoping that someone has some insight.

My current processor is a i5-3570k overclocked to 4.4 GHz and it is paired with a GTX1080. I've had a Xeon E5-2695 v3 (2.3 GHz 14 cores) sitting in the package for the past year. I know that it isn't advisable to buy a Xeon for games, but my i5 is long in the tooth. Since I have this Xeon sitting around, does anyone have an idea how it would compare to things like games that may not utilize the extra threads. I'm thinking that the 35 MB of cache may go a ways to make up for the clock speed. The Xeon is supposed to hit 3.8 GHz in turbo mode.

I would just need to pick up a motherboard and RAM.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Get that thing up and running, and then check out the Distributed Computing sub-forum, they could really use that kind of firepower.

Yaemish2

Nov 30, 2016
Oh wow, you guys are going to be pissed at this response... I have two of them... both in packages. I had a lot going on with work and I forgot that they were even ordered. They have been sitting quietly in their respective boxes.

I just realized that I did read that article. I guess I was being lazy and looking for something where both processors showed up on the same chart.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, you can always run some benches yourself and let the rest of us be jealous...

Yaemish2

Nov 30, 2016
I guess I know what I'll be doing when I have some time off. Looking around, outside of the RAM and board I should have enough components to make a system. Anyone know off hand what the PSU requirements are for two processors? I have a spare 500 watt PSU.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I guess I know what I'll be doing when I have some time off. Looking around, outside of the RAM and board I should have enough components to make a system. Anyone know off hand what the PSU requirements are for two processors? I have a spare 500 watt PSU.
My guess is that 2 CPUs combined with a high end GPU will need a bigger PSU then 500W.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Multi-core Xeons are not optimal for games and you may find yourself in niche scenarios where they actually perform worse. I've tried with an E5-2699 v4 (22 cores), and I just gave up as it was literally not worth the time. You would also need the more expensive X99 platform and at least 4x DIMM's.

While it may be good for bragging rights, Z170 and upcoming Z270 with 6700/7700K is far more practical for the desktop.

As for power, the R730's I have (with 2x E5-2699 v3/4's) pull about 350W from the wall with Platinum PSU's, so I figure 320W at load. Add in a GTX 1080, and you need probably need at least 500W just from the 12V line (so figure minimum good quality 600W+, perhaps 700W to be safer).

Yaemish2

Nov 30, 2016
I totally get why you wouldn't want a Xeon for gaming; Mhz is king above all else in that arena. I was just thinking that my gaming system is older and since I have these processors I could make a single system to save on the clutter. I wouldn't do it if it was worse than the i5 at 4.4 GHz that I have now. I would only do it if it was a wash or slightly faster; I know I would gain leaps and bounds in the work arena.

I was curious to see if anyone had thoughts about the Xeon's additional memory bandwidth/PCI-express lanes would make up for the slower clock. I usually buy my enterprise hardware already built from the manufacturer, and even when you do that there are always unexpected issues that arise. Anything I need to be mindful of when picking out a motherboard for these processors?

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
Well if you go the nuts setup like quad titan sli then the Xeons are the way to go for the pcie lanes.