Odd problems after overclocking

Gregow

Oct 11, 2014
I'm having a couple of odd problems after overclocking my CPU... atleast I think it's related to the overclocking.

I've tried resorting to defaults but the problems persist. System is otherwise stable.

First problem is with the keyboard. After a while it just shuts down/stops responding. Unplugging and re-inserting the USB cable does not help. I need to reboot to fix it.

I have tried a different keyboard as well, but it's the same.

The second problem I also had with my old rig after overclocking. Instead of shutting down from Windows it just reboots. Well, the new rig is a little better - it shuts down half of the time. Never managed to fix it with the old rig.

Everything is new, so it's not the same PSU or anything else.

I might add that I think this started after using Asus AI-suite for overclocking and had a couple of crashes after going too high on BCKL and CPU strap (nothing crazy, but still). Right now i'm running it on default BCKL and only increased the multiplier.

Do you have any idea what's up here and how do I solve this?

I have the following build:

Asus X99-A
4x4Gb Corsair Vengance LPX
Asus GTX970 Strix

I have the keyboard and mouse connected to the back panel.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Un-installl Asus AI-suite for starters.. or use a Restore point previous to the overclocking utility install..
What Windows version are you using?

Dec 30, 2004
run a memtest over night. I was having super weird problems unreproducible random and still there with default settings. Had 2 bad sticks of RAM.

Gregow

Oct 11, 2014
Un-installl Asus AI-suite for starters.. or use a Restore point previous to the overclocking utility install..
What Windows version are you using?
Why do you Think AI-suite might be causing trouble? Is it known to have problems?

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro.

run a memtest over night. I was having super weird problems unreproducible random and still there with default settings. Had 2 bad sticks of RAM.
I'll try that tonight, although I doubt it's bad RAM. My old rig, which also had the shutdown problem, could run stable for two weeks at full load.
When i've had bad RAM in the past there have always been random instability issues (and bluescreens when running Windows). So far I haven't witnessed any real stability issues, there are just these two specific problems.

Funny thing is the old motherboard is also Asus, a P6T Deluxe V2.

I think i'll also try a BIOS update. I'm running the release version of the X99-A BIOS and considering it's a new platform I bet there are lots of quirks being fixed in later versions.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why do you Think AI-suite might be causing trouble? Is it known to have problems?

Years and years ago AI-suite was stupid buggy, gave all kinds of trouble. But a couple years ago they got it all straightened out. I've used AI-suite on both Intel and AMD mobos with zero problems.

But...if your OC'ing adventures has resulted in a corrupted install of AI-suite then you could very well be fighting all manner of instability demons.

Unless you have good cause to not do it, I'd recommend a clean install of windows at this point and start over. See if the USB problems persists.

Gregow

Oct 11, 2014
I'll try a clean install. I suspect I just messed up Windows anyway. Moving the overvoltage jumper (to enable adjusting voltages in BIOS) seems to have messed things up (couldn't access BIOS and Windows went nuts with bluescreens).

I have the BIOS upgraded to latest version anyhow. Best to make a clean start.

Gregow

Oct 11, 2014
I've made a clean install of Windows without any difference.

System seems oterhwise stable. I say otherwise because I have to test it more. Just passed 15 mins of Asus Realbench so it's up and running at least.

Though I nearly killed the CPU by accident and don't know if it's OK. Accidentally put a 1.9 Vcore, but noticed it as soon as I logged into Windows (it was supposed to be a safe setting with 1.29 Vcore...). Now it seems the CPU wants more voltage to run at the same speed.

This time i've overclocked manually. 4,375Ghz with 125Mhz BCKL and Strap at 1.3V. I hope it keeps being stable at that. Not a great result but if it runs stable and without quirks i'll be happy with it.