Odd problem with new BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I'm helping setup a brand new BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X 3D. I suggested the board since it was on clearance at the Egg, so I feel some responsibility about solving this.

updated bios, defaults loaded.
CPU is supported, i5-4690k.
Tried two different power supplies, one is a brand new 750 Watt Corsair that is Haswell ready.
Tried different ram, in different slots. Now just have one stick of cheapo 2GB in slot one. tried 2 X 8gb ram sticks as well

No video card yet.
just one drive, a SSD, also tried old mechanical drive

Windows is installed, and it will shut down and turn off nice and fast. It starts up fast from a cold boot. Does not hang in the bios

problem..
Windows Restart is a problem, windows shutdowns correctly, screen goes blank for about a 1.5 minutes while board is still on, then the board cycles on, screen is blank, then windows loads again as it should. Tried analog and digital outputs. 1.5 minutes for this to go from hitting restart in windows to windows loading again.

But, It does the same thing while in the bios. You can be in the bios and exit the bios and the same thing, screen goes blank, the board is still on, then 1.5 minutes later it cycles and boots where you want it too.

Last edited:

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
OK I spoke with Biostar, they say it's an issue with Intel ME firmware and the newer Haswell CPUs. A regular bios flash does not flash the Intel ME firmware. I have to do a special flash from a bootable flash drive

looks like a similar problem with Asus right here.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2289154

"It seems the Intel ME firmware MUST be updated from the factory version to support these new Haswell refresh CPUs, and the EZ Flash in the bios doesn't do this part."

This irks me quite a bit. If the Biostar web page says the CPU is compatible, then it should be. You should not have to do a Intel firmware flash to get it to run right. They just don't want to scare off potential buyers . I can see where the average joe builder would be confused a bit on the procedure. the Biostar rep immediately knew the problem, and yet there is no mention of this problem on their product web page.

Anyway, I got the firmware updated, and it's working correctly..

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Interesting. What ME version did the Biostar rep recommend for updating the board?
Biostar should have been able to incorporate the new ME firmware into the bios update.
If nothing else: flash the latest bios, then flash to the new ME firmware, then save the new updated bios as the one to give out to end users.

Edit: I suppose Intel may have somehow crippled that method from actually accomplishing the ME firmware update. Might require an updated bios flash program, for that method to work.

Last edited: