OCZ Vertex Series SSD 60GB SATA II for $95 after Rebate at NewEgg

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Damn. And I just got one from Microcenter over the weekend for $115 AR. Maybe I should return it... :)

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
This is a better deal:

OCZ Agility 2 60GB
$100 after $20 off promo code BTEYXNV23 and $20 MIR.

I bit on this one. I really only need 40-50GB probably (debating on a 30GB even), but this 60GB version is only $5 more than the cheapest 40GB Sandforce drive and will give me a lot more flexibility in the future (and resale value).

tno

Mar 17, 2007
I bit on the $150 90gig variety for my big rig from Microcenter and feel pretty great about it. Add to that the CL buy of a 40 gig for $75 in September that lives in my netbook and you can pretty much slap a Sandforce fanboy label on my forehead.

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
does anyone know exactly what the promo code will work on? Is it just for the Agility drives? Thanks

Last edited:

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
There are some reports over at OCZ's forums of people losing data with their newer Sandforce-based drives (Vertex 2, Agility 2, etc). Basically what happens is the drive appears to be working fine but following a power cycle, you find that the drive has reverted back to an older copy of the stored data. Some of the more extreme cases have involved people reinstalling an OS on the drive only to find that, following a reboot, the old OS is back and the new one is gone. (Someone speculated that the drive might be shadowing its sector allocation map in onboard RAM but not always saving it to flash so when the drive resets, the old allocation map shows up).

Have any ATers seen this behavior?

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007
There are some reports over at OCZ's forums of people losing data with their newer Sandforce-based drives (Vertex 2, Agility 2, etc). Basically what happens is the drive appears to be working fine but following a power cycle, you find that the drive has reverted back to an older copy of the stored data. Some of the more extreme cases have involved people reinstalling an OS on the drive only to find that, following a reboot, the old OS is back and the new one is gone. (Someone speculated that the drive might be shadowing its sector allocation map in onboard RAM but not always saving it to flash so when the drive resets, the old allocation map shows up).

Thats not what I wanted to hear. I have not researched much, but I do not recall anyone saying anything like this.

On a side note: does anyone know if there is a promo code for something like the 120gig drives? The above code so far I could only get to work with the 60 gig drive; which I think will be a little sm for my use. Thanks

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
:awe:
Damn. And I just got one from Microcenter over the weekend for $115 AR. Maybe I should return it...

Take the SSD back with your purchase receipt to Microcenter and print out that NewEgg advertised price and show it to them... they will price match it... Microcenter will pretty much price match anything from NewEgg and Frys...:ninja::biggrin::p

rip

Feb 5, 2000

Man, every time I'm just about to pull the trigger on a SSD I come across something like this. :(

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Jumped on the deal. It's at the shipper now. I think the Indillnx Barefoot controller has less issues than the Sanforce. Will be curious to see what version of FW is installed on this drive. The OCZ forum site has a lot of answers to some of the problems with these drives. I've already down loaded the SDD tweaker utility. There are rumors that the Turbo option may be available in a new FW update.

I'm planning on installing this on a Dell lease return Vostro 1700 ($300 steal) as the boot/program launching drive and using the existing drive as the data drive.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Jumped on the deal. It's at the shipper now. I think the Indillnx Barefoot controller has less issues than the Sanforce. Will be curious to see what version of FW is installed on this drive. The OCZ forum site has a lot of answers to some of the problems with these drives. I've already down loaded the SDD tweaker utility. There are rumors that the Turbo option may be available in a new FW update.

I'm planning on installing this on a Dell lease return Vostro 1700 ($300 steal) as the boot/program launching drive and using the existing drive as the data drive.

I don't know much about SSDs... Is this a really good one? I just come across these deals during my journey looking for a good deal and waiting for the new GPU... so I just thought to share and post and liven up this Hot Deals Forum. :biggrin::p;)

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
Just personal experience:

OCZ Agility 1 60 GB was rock solid stable. No issues ever.

OCZ Agility 2 120 GB is very good, but a few little "ticks" have cropped up in the system. Web pages load funny. Boot time seems a little slower. Etc. Weird.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Good drive for the price. Been using a 60GB Vertex for probably half a year or so and it's been great, no issues. The size feels a bit constricting at times, though. Have been debating getting another one and making a RAID 0 array, or just buying a 120GB SSD.

Infrnl

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2007

you better be careful. the majority of the problem drives are on laptops