OCZ Agility/Vertex 3 in Raid 0 question

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
Hi all, I currently have 2 OCZ Agility 3's 120 GB drives. My current system does NOT have SATA 6... just SATA 3. Plugging one in just as a standard disk... not in raid under one of my SATA 3 slots, gives me a performance that is not much better than my older OCZ vertex. I am asking and wondering if to get full advantage of these drives and to get the posted speeds, you must be using a newer generation motherboard that supports SATA 6? Is this correct?

In other words, I would need to get a new Z68 mobo (or 67)... I am talking about Intel. I currently have an intel i7 870 CPU with a Gigabyte mobo that does not support SATA 6. Would I notice much difference if I upgrade to a Sandy Bridge mobo with SATA 6 and a new CPU? The sad part is that I have one PCI-E 16 slot for my video card and then one lousy PCI-E x1 slot so I doubt I could go out and buy some sort of add-in card with SATA 6... correct?

boochi

May 21, 2011
Sata II ports max out at about 250-275 MB/sec. Sata III is the only way you will get close to full speed on one of those drives. You would need a pci express card running at 4x to be able to get full throughput on two vertex 3 drives.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
^^^^---- What he said while I was typing :)

I guess you kinda answered your own question in the end.

Quick search for stated speeds of your drive found this

Read SpeedUp to 525MBps (SATA 6Gb/s); Up to 280MBps (SATA 3Gb/s)
Write SpeedUp to 500MBps (SATA 6Gb/s); Up to 260MBps (SATA 3Gb/s)

Downside is it kinda looks like OCZ SSD's have some compatability with intel's latest and greatest platform(s)

Last edited:

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
Done.. god it never ends. I just ordered an Asus Z68 Pro board and a 2600K cpu. GRRR.Thank you all for the info..

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
gives me a performance that is not much better than my older OCZ vertex

to get full advantage of these drives and to get the posted speeds, you must be using a newer generation motherboard that supports SATA 6?

In other words, I would need to get a new Z68 mobo (or 67)\

Would I notice much difference if I upgrade to a Sandy Bridge mobo with SATA 6 and a new CPU?

doubt I could go out and buy some sort of add-in card with SATA 6.

1) that is what most reviews are saying.

2) correct

3) any of the new s1155 boards, but you will also need to get a new cpu as well. A cheaper option might be to get a new motherboard that can support a sata 3.0 addon card.

4) from a i7-870? unlikly enough to notice outside bentchmarks.

5) on a pci-e x1? not for full sata 3 speeds. Need a x4 slot. Maybe even more if you want to raid 0 the two SSD's (but loose TRIM).