Oculus Kickstarter: Time to get excited by Virtual Reality Gaming finally?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Sounds like it could be cool. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. One thing though is that people complain about wearing 3D glasses to play games, they'll really complain about an entire headset.

Also, VR loses its immersion due to the no hand effect. If it feels so real you want to reach out and touch something, it will immediately lose that immersion when you realize you are still bound by the games controller limitations.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I wonder how long it will take before some idiot makes it necessary for legislation to pass that you can't wear these while driving?

On a more serious note, looks cool. but as with any emerging market, it will depend heavily on gaming support. I'll take a wait and see attitude on this. But looks cool.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I remember doing a VR full demo back in the '90's and while it was amazing back then, I cannot beleive we're still having these stories about it becoming mainstream still all these years later.

It's become the next "flying car" almost.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I remember doing a VR full demo back in the '90's and while it was amazing back then, I cannot beleive we're still having these stories about it becoming mainstream still all these years later.

It's become the next "flying car" almost.

they said the same thing about video gaming back in the late 80s. Now look at it.

I can very much see it becoming main stream, provided that the price is right.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
they said the same thing about video gaming back in the late 80s. Now look at it.

Yeah, i think $300 is an amazing price for this.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Sounds like it could be cool. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. One thing though is that people complain about wearing 3D glasses to play games, they'll really complain about an entire headset.
They will need to make it so that users can focus the image so that I can wear it without my glasses. If they do that I doubt that I'll complain about the 3D.

Also, VR loses its immersion due to the no hand effect. If it feels so real you want to reach out and touch something, it will immediately lose that immersion when you realize you are still bound by the games controller limitations.
I think this will be less VR and more of a monitor advancement. What this will do is let us push screen real estate to the next level with (perceptually) life sized models.

I agree, but they will need to get it out in front of the public with lots of demo's and places for people to see it first hand. We have had this technology promised to us and fail too many times, to believe it now with out seeing it for ourselves.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
The other good thing about this is using it for pr0n without anyone knowing :awe:

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, i think $300 is an amazing price for this.

Is that the suggested retail price? I didn't see it listed.

But even if it is, look at how much people pay for video cards these days? And I am sure that knock offs will come along (provided the market is there) and drive down the price.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The other good thing about this is using it for pr0n without anyone knowing :awe:

3D interactive pr0n?
Done on a green screen, get lots of camera's in a full circle around the actors, cover the cameras in green screen material so they can be digitally removed, add setting in post. Use software to allow you to pan around and zoom into any view you like.
I think I should start this company!

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
3D interactive pr0n?
Done on a green screen, get lots of camera's in a full circle around the actors, cover the cameras in green screen material so they can be digitally removed, add setting in post. Use software to allow you to pan around and zoom into any view you like.
I think I should start this company!

Virtual Valerie 2.0 is born.

Siberian

Jul 10, 2012
It certainly looks promising. An in-store demo unit would be nice. I would want to try it before buying it.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Every review I've read and every video I've seen on it says the same thing. The field of view is like being in the game and the latency is low enough to make it worthwhile, but the picture is still blurry and low resolution. However, those are supposedly issues that can be fixed within the next couple of years when it goes from prototype to commercial product. They're starting with getting the field of view and latency issues right, and then working up to higher resolutions.

One reviewer commented that the entire gaming industry is focused on distracting gamers from actually playing games. They're providing second screens on tablets and the ability to stream movies or adding a few extra bells and whistles, but not on making games fundamentally more fun to play. This holds the promise of making even 3 or more monitors look outdated in one cheap package. Carmack has suggested the whole system could eventually become portable and you could play paintball against real opponents. That's the dream people have held out for with VR and I have no doubt the technology to make it happen either already exists or will very soon.

Last edited: