Octomom Welfare Fraud

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Why is prostitution illegal when welfare isn't? They are both giving money to women for having sex...

Mostly nowadays it's because of religious influence on your Justice system.
Back in the old days it was because prostitutes were basically slaves

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Excellent job Nehalem. This is pure ownage of liberals. Welfare should be ended.

That's a nice side trip to fantasy land for you two. Prostitution should be legal as long as its properly regulated and the people involved are involved by choice. Just as stripping should be legal. I don't see liberals on a campaign to out stripping, but oh boy does the religious right have a hard on for stripping and other adult related businesses.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
That's a nice side trip to fantasy land for you two. Prostitution should be legal as long as its properly regulated and the people involved are involved by choice. Just as stripping should be legal. I don't see liberals on a campaign to out stripping, but oh boy does the religious right have a hard on for stripping and other adult related businesses.

I also don't see liberals on a campaign so that women can make the CHOICE to sell their body for money.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Still don't understand that it is stupid to punish the child for the parent's sins I see.

Give it up, you're arguing with folks who would rather see the kids starve to death. They might feel bad, but its the parent's fault after all.

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
Still don't understand that it is stupid to punish the child for the parent's sins I see.

There's a difference between punishing a child for the parent's sins and the simple fact of life that some parents are better at providing for children than others.

Apr 27, 2012

I don't want to outlaw prostitution and I was just exposing the hypocrisy. Women shouldn't be subsidized because they get pregnant by some moron. Let them take care of the baby but don't force me to pay for their mistakes.

Still claiming to be a Christian?

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I don't know much about this particular woman, but she seems to be interesting enough to warrant her own thread, so it's probably an unusual case? So anyone against her particularly is probably against welfare generally.

I'm curious to know whether all those against welfare are christians or otherwise religious. Are there any non religious people on this forum who are against having the public fund the basic subsistence needs of everyone, just as a basic civic duty? Not even as a cheaper form of riot insurance than prisons? How much does economically driven crime cost the country?

Do those who oppose welfare honestly not realize that overall we would be worse off? Or is it that you do realize this but... "fuck em" ?

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I don't know much about this particular woman, but she seems to be interesting enough to warrant her own thread, so it's probably an unusual case? So anyone against her particularly is probably against welfare generally.

I'm curious to know whether all those against welfare are christians or otherwise religious. Are there any non religious people on this forum who are against having the public fund the basic subsistence needs of everyone, just as a basic civic duty? Not even as a cheaper form of riot insurance than prisons? How much does economically driven crime cost the country?

Do those who oppose welfare honestly not realize that overall we would be worse off? Or is it that you do realize this but... "fuck em" ?

I'm non-religious and do not agree with how we handle welfare in the US. It's not my job as a taxpayer to support multi-generational welfare families. That is a system that has been setup to run with politics in mind rather than getting people off of welfare and into a sustained self-supporting role. These people need both to be worse off and given work opportunities where they can sustain themselves and not suck off the Gov teat. If that means a womans 6 kids she never should have had has to live in a crappy appt that's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, doesn't have subsidized electricity, then so be it. She's already far better off than 100's of millions of 3rd world people, and they're still making it.

Make things too nice for people (nice to them, not great for us), and they'll never push to get out of the situation they're in.

If you feel so bad for them, send them your money. Don't vote to elect Pols to take mine.

Chuck

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I'm non-religious and do not agree with how we handle welfare in the US. It's not my job as a taxpayer to support multi-generational welfare families. That is a system that has been setup to run with politics in mind rather than getting people off of welfare and into a sustained self-supporting role. These people need both to be worse off and given work opportunities where they can sustain themselves and not suck off the Gov teat. If that means a womans 6 kids she never should have had has to live in a crappy appt that's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, doesn't have subsidized electricity, then so be it. She's already far better off than 100's of millions of 3rd world people, and they're still making it.

Make things too nice for people (nice to them, not great for us), and they'll never push to get out of the situation they're in.

If you feel so bad for them, send them your money. Don't vote to elect Pols to take mine.

Chuck

Yes well of course it's poorly implemented in the US, but it doesn't have to be, and that's a different issue to whether or not to it's agreeable in principle. I appreciate your comment but it's kind of beyond the scope of the question. It also ignores my claim that the alternative is worse, as these people don't just disappear from society, unless you make them. I guess it depends on how far you're willing to go to save a few bucks!

Last edited:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Well, the problem is that both sides of the political spectrum have voted in Politicians who are in large part traitors to the US. They have allowed in tens of millions of illegal invaders. Why is this significant you may ask? Because those same illegal invaders literally have taken the jobs, by virtue of doing them cheaper and/or better, of people of lessor means (that's poor blacks, poor whites, and poor US citizen latinos). What we have now is illegals, and their legal or illegal children, preventing what could be the welfare class working at these jobs they have taken. Now I realize that many of these welfare folks would not otherwise go work at these jobs if they were in fact available. That is an easy problem to solve: Just cut their welfare - hunger makes a good motivator. When the % that commit crimes rebels and commits said crimes because they figure that's easier than actually doing honest work, simply throw them in a very cheap prison where conditions suck so badly, when they get out, they damn sure won't be going that route again.

We can also work on, rather than exporting jobs to countries for slave labor, maybe incentivizing companies having these jobs in these run down communities. I know it will likely take very good incentives, because frankly the people in these communities are full of talk and far less full of work ethic (else why would they be there in the first place?), but again, if you simply reduce how nice it is to be on welfare, they won't have much of a choice. Publish or perish if you will.

Would I feed these people as a civic duty? Absolutely. Here's your bean soup. Come back tonight and tomorrow for more bean soup. Next week will be chicken noodle soup. Bring your kids, they can eat free too.

I see no problems with this approach.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"...she's entitled to welfare benefits if she earns less than $119,000 in a year..."

WTF^infinity

context is everything. You left out the part "because she has 14 kids..."

so it's not just that. and is it not determined by CoL? I believe she is in CA, no? sure--if you live in bumbfuck Iowa then 119k will feed your giant brood, but not so much in CA.

still dumb, probably, but there you go.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
context is everything. You left out the part "because she has 14 kids..."

so it's not just that. and is it not determined by CoL? I believe she is in CA, no? sure--if you live in bumbfuck Iowa then 119k will feed your giant brood, but not so much in CA.

still dumb, probably, but there you go.

Context is irrelevant. If you cannot feed your family on 6 figure salary that is your problem not mine.

And then is ignoring the "context" of the case of octomom.

If you support welfare for octomom.... well then why don't we just legalize taking children down to the local bank putting a gun to their head and demanding cash. There is no moral distinction.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
This shouldn't really be that controversial. It's more humane and arguably cheaper to just support them. Get over the selfishness. Or argue why in fact it isnt cheaper, considering crime and other civil unrest implications. It's either that or execute them...

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Would I feed these people as a civic duty? Absolutely. Here's your bean soup. Come back tonight and tomorrow for more bean soup. Next week will be chicken noodle soup. Bring your kids, they can eat free too.
Why don't we keep the local school cafeterias open 24/7? If you want meatloaf and instant whip potatoes get in line. It would be cheaper than Welfare and as a nation we could rest easy knowing no one was starving.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why don't we keep the local school cafeterias open 24/7? If you want meatloaf and instant whip potatoes get in line. It would be cheaper than Welfare and as a nation we could rest easy knowing no one was starving.

Actually food stamps are much cheaper than opening soup kitchens or whatever.