October 2015 was the warmest month in recorded history

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Seriously, you think 3 mm/yr is simply too hard for humans to deal with? Even though we have had absolutely no problem dealing with it throughout the last century?

PS. The antarctic ice sheet is ADDING volume right now.
Volume, perhaps, according to one study. However, other studies, point out that the density of that snow on top is less than the density of the ice that was lost, therefore, it's still losing total water. The same study that pointed out that it's adding volume also stated that the rate is heading toward zero - melting is accelerating. I'm not sure why you don't realize your little fact is irrelevant in the face of: the ocean is rising - you even admit it. Duh.

There are zero studies that show that the ocean levels are dropping - even thermal expansion is sufficient to cause quite a rise in ocean volume. It's 3.2 mm per year presently though, as you point out. But, what you're neglecting to point out: the rate has been increasing; considerably over the past 20 years. It's expected to rise multiple feet by 2100. That alone is bad enough for some areas, but it's essentially like perpectually having a few foot storm surge - whenever there are high waves from a storm, you don't need them on top of a storm surge in order to cause a huge amount of damage - you're already going to have that storm surge, since that will be the new norm.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
(User was banned from this post) comes from 4chan if i recall, so I'm hoping it's a joke. Unless a mod edits the post to add that, you won't know a user is banned outside of their tagged account saying "Banned"

Edit B10 - and I'm pretty sure it's from 4chan and not SA

RFjwOIsh.png

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738738

SomethingAwful predates 4chan.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And the end result of the all this catastrophic warming? The largest world-wide food harvest in human history. In no other 12 month time span in the entirety of world history has man harvested more food that was harvested in the last 12 months.

The propagandists for the other side set fire to the discussion when they claim terrible things have, and are already, happening. The real issue is what begins to happen decades from now.

If CO2 is providing as much radiative forcing as they claim... and it has the effects they claim... it's going to accelerate and get a hell of a lot "worse". In essence, you ain't seen nothing yet. 3mm/yr is not what it will be.

The lie is that we've already felt it in any meaningful way.
The truth is we're going to. You shouldn't be dismissing what will happen if it continues to rise unchecked.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Volume, perhaps, according to one study. However, other studies, point out that the density of that snow on top is less than the density of the ice that was lost, therefore, it's still losing total water. The same study that pointed out that it's adding volume also stated that the rate is heading toward zero - melting is accelerating. I'm not sure why you don't realize your little fact is irrelevant in the face of: the ocean is rising - you even admit it. Duh.

There are zero studies that show that the ocean levels are dropping - even thermal expansion is sufficient to cause quite a rise in ocean volume. It's 3.2 mm per year presently though, as you point out. But, what you're neglecting to point out: the rate has been increasing; considerably over the past 20 years. It's expected to rise multiple feet by 2100. That alone is bad enough for some areas, but it's essentially like perpectually having a few foot storm surge - whenever there are high waves from a storm, you don't need them on top of a storm surge in order to cause a huge amount of damage - you're already going to have that storm surge, since that will be the new norm.

Oh for Christ's sake, it has been very steady at around 3 mm for the last 50 years. You think that number will magically jump to MULTIPLE FEET in the next 85 years?!?! Why don't you say hundreds of feet or miles even, as long as we are playing the make shit up game. If I were to guess looking at historical data, I would bet the rise will be between 3-6mm/yr in 85 years. Anybody that claims this amount of rise will pose ANY kind of problem is not dealing with reality.

figure-5-13-l.png

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Oh for Christ's sake, it has been very steady at around 3 mm for the last 50 years. You think that number will magically jump to MULTIPLE FEET in the next 85 years?!?! Why don't you say hundreds of feet or miles even, as long as we are playing the make shit up game. If I were to guess looking at historical data, I would bet the rise will be between 3-6mm/yr in 85 years. Anybody that claims this amount of rise will pose ANY kind of problem is not dealing with reality.

What your telling us is that you don't believe in the eventual collapse of the ice sheets. Even if the world temp was 3c higher, and polar amplification made it worse on the ice.

I mean, my whole argument is they have the rate of change wrong. But that's not going to hold if the surface station record is allowed to stand.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

figure-5-13-l.png
3mm/year is a linear function. Any decent high school student isn't going to say, "hey, that looks like a linear function." The graph you linked to definitely looks concave upward, implying a positive second derivative - in other words, an increasing rate of sea level rise. If you only look at a short section of that, then yes, it looks linear. But, you'd be as mistaken as my students often are during several labs in which their data looks somewhat linear, but a thorough analysis of their data demonstrates a non-linear function. Now, instead of showing a picture, can you link to any credible source that says what you claim the graph is demonstrating?

Further, with an increasing rate, and you even suggest 6mm/year, do you realize that once we hit 6mm/year, that's 1 foot of sea level rise per 30 years? That's a HUGE problem, even if the rate stopped increasing when it hits 6mm/year. Or, is your opinion, "not my problem. They'll have to figure out how to deal with the problem that was set in motion decades earlier."

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I for one can't wait for the next in the series of increasingly agitated postings about the subject from people who just don't seem to get the rest of us don't give a shit if the sea rises or whatever other scare tactics they imagine. We aren't giving up our SUVs or get forcibly resettled into cities, you guys aren't going to significantly downgrade your lifestyles, and no one is going to do something that would make a difference because it would only hurt the poor anyway. So thus these threads end up being nothing more than a whinefest akin to the Tea Party complaints about how we're "destroying family values" yet everyone knows the 'cure' is 1000x worse than the 'problem.'

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
What your telling us is that you don't believe in the eventual collapse of the ice sheets. Even if the world temp was 3c higher, and polar amplification made it worse on the ice.

I mean, my whole argument is they have the rate of change wrong. But that's not going to hold if the surface station record is allowed to stand.

Oh I believe the ice sheets will completely collapse..... and then they will freeze over in a new ice age which cover the majority of earth...... and which will then be melted to complete collapse again.... round and round and round. For fucks sake, this shit has been going on for billions of years now. Earth just never had a bunch of evolved apes around to wring their hands about it before.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I for one can't wait for the next in the series of increasingly agitated postings about the subject from people who just don't seem to get the rest of us don't give a shit if the sea rises or whatever other scare tactics they imagine. We aren't giving up our SUVs or get forcibly resettled into cities, you guys aren't going to significantly downgrade your lifestyles, and no one is going to do something that would make a difference because it would only hurt the poor anyway. So thus these threads end up being nothing more than a whinefest akin to the Tea Party complaints about how we're "destroying family values" yet everyone knows the 'cure' is 1000x worse than the 'problem.'

You don't give a shit. We get it. Why are you here?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
You don't give a shit. We get it. Why are you here?

The same thing all of us our doing. Distracting ourselves from our inevitable death. I am glad that this issue is around because it does a pretty good job of distracting me.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Shouldn't the climate scientists be like furiously trying to pour concrete over yellowstone or something.

Oh wait never mind concrete releases CO2.

Gawd why does everything have to be so difficult. Oh well hire some Chinese contractors and blame them and say yellow stone is carbon neutral. Win-win.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The same thing all of us our doing. Distracting ourselves from our inevitable death. I am glad that this issue is around because it does a pretty good job of distracting me.

Exactly. I'm awaiting the ocean rise so I can drive by the flooded remains of coastal cities in my SUV, that should be a great distraction.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Shouldn't the climate scientists be like furiously trying to pour concrete over yellowstone or something.

Oh wait never mind concrete releases CO2.

Gawd why does everything have to be so difficult. Oh well hire some Chinese contractors and blame them and say yellow stone is carbon neutral. Win-win.

Exactly. I'm awaiting the ocean rise so I can drive by the flooded remains of coastal cities in my SUV, that should be a great distraction.

slappy-o.gif

:D

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Had your swimming lessons yet? Better get them now before the capitalists start raising their prices.

I always find your spite based policymaking to be funny. What's going to be even funnier is how much you're going to be shrieking when we raise your taxes to pay for coastal climate change mitigation.

So start saving your pennies now, you're going to need them. ;)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I always find your spite based policymaking to be funny. What's going to be even funnier is how much you're going to be shrieking when we raise your taxes to pay for coastal climate change mitigation.

So start saving your pennies now, you're going to need them. ;)

Sure, right after we raise taxes to mitigate the negative impacts of same-sex marriage. Both you and the religious right could share sandwich boards proclaiming how the end is near and save costs.

Meanwhile in the real world, we're one more month closer to the Big Swim and we all eagerly await the "December" version of this thread.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sure, right after we raise taxes to mitigate the negative impacts of same-sex marriage. Both you and the religious right could share sandwich boards proclaiming how the end is near and save costs.

Meanwhile in the real world, we're one more month closer to the Big Swim and we all eagerly await the "December" version of this thread.

Negative impacts of SSM? What do you foresee these to be? Fire and brimstone, perhaps? Maybe my wife will become a pillar of salt?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Haha, no need. I'm completely serious by the way, you will end up paying for climate change one way or the other so you would be wise to save your money. :). I'm just trying to help!

You can keep raging and trying to deny reality all you want, but I don't want to hear any squealing from you when the bill comes due.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Haha, no need. I'm completely serious by the way, you will end up paying for climate change one way or the other so you would be wise to save your money. :). I'm just trying to help!

You can keep raging and trying to deny reality all you want, but I don't want to hear any squealing from you when the bill comes due.

The march of technology unencumbered by your side's ideas and taxes will fix the 'problem' and make it moot anyway. And sure you would just "make us pay it," just like your great current success in passing tax increases, carbon taxes, and all the rest. But I'm sure that after 30, 40, 50 more years of failure you'll finally convince the rest of us. That's presuming you could draft the tax increase bill while dogpaddling in the remains of Manhattan.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The march of technology unencumbered by your side's ideas and taxes will fix the 'problem' and make it moot anyway. And sure you would just "make us pay it," just like your great current success in passing tax increases, carbon taxes, and all the rest. But I'm sure that after 30, 40, 50 more years of failure you'll finally convince the rest of us. That's presuming you could draft the tax increase bill while dogpaddling in the remains of Manhattan.

lol, remember when you kept peddling the idea that there had been no successful public policies passed to mitigate climate change until you were slapped in the face with a bunch?

Same thing here. Your blind rage is irrelevant. The US isn't going to give up it's greatest and most powerful city, and in the end you'll pay for it if that's what it comes to.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
lol, remember when you kept peddling the idea that there had been no successful public policies passed to mitigate climate change until you were slapped in the face with a bunch?

Same thing here. Your blind rage is irrelevant. The US isn't going to give up it's greatest and most powerful city, and in the end you'll pay for it if that's what it comes to.

Oh right, the technologically infeasible 54.5 CAFE standard, the failed Kyoto, and some corporate subsidies for Solyndra et al. Glad to hear you saved us all and we can stop with these rolling threads since disaster has been averted.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
the usual eco-KOOK gloom and doom alarmism backed up with Junk Science.