October 2007 Monthly Photography Contest - "Patterns"

Oct 19, 2000
October 2007 Primary Gallery - "Patterns" - Voting Results

October 2007 Secondary Gallery - "Long Exposure" - Voting Results

password: atcontest

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now in month #5 for the monthly Anandtech photo contest. I appreciate everyone who has submitted entries up to this point. We've come a long way since the first contest, and it seems that everyone is enjoying themselves. It's been my pleasure to host this, and I hope to see this grow even more by the end of the year. Without further ado, let's get started on this month's themes.....

As always, feel free to use this thread to suggest themes for next month's contest.

Password to galleries: atcontest

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

October Contest Dates:

• Photo must be taken between October 1 - 24, 2007.
  • Photo must be submitted by end of day, October 24, 2007.
  • Voting begins ~ October 25, 2007, and will run through the 29th.
  • Winner to be announced at the end of voting.
Primary October 2007 Contest Theme:

• "Patterns"
    • Let's mix this month's theme up a bit. Look for patterns, and see what you can come up with a submission. I'm looking forward to see what everyone comes up with!
    • If there are any questions on the subject matter, let's discuss it here.
Secondary October 2007 Contest Theme:

• "Long Exposure"
    • This should be a pretty self-explanatory subject matter. For this submission, please be sure to retain EXIF info if at all possible so we may see the details of exposure.
The General Rules:

• Submitted photos must easily pertain to the contest subject matter.
  • Contest eligible pictures MUST be taken within the dates stated for this month's contest.
  • Only one submitted photo per entrant.
  • Full EXIF info is strongly suggested to be retained with any submitted picture. I am ceasing to make this a requirement, due to the fact that this is merely a fun and no-prize contest.
  • Submitted photos must abide by forum rules (which basically means no nudity)
Post-Processing Rules:

• We are now going to dispense with any PP rules. Anything is allowed, but I still want to discourage the following:
    • Try to refrain from turning your photo into "graphic art".
    • I would like to discourage major cloning and photo transplants.
Submission Rules:

• Each person is given until the time that I put up the voting to submit their picture. Polls are usually erected the morning of the start date of voting.
  • Smallest picture size available to submit will be limited to 1200 pixels on the smallest side. This gives everyone with atleast a 2MP camera a chance to enter. (Any arguements on this one?) - UPDATE: If anyone has any problems with this, we can dispense with this rule. Now that I think about it, any full-size originals you submit to me will be available for anyone here to grab.
  • Please submit JPG's only! (Highest quality setting for JPG is suggested to reduce compression artifacts.)
  • Your final entry can be made at any time between the start of the contest itself until the submission deadline stated above.
  • Each member will have only ONE chance to submit a final entry for the contest. Once you submit, that is it.
Submitting Your Entry:

• There will be two ways to get your photo to me:
    • Email your photo to blurredvision at gmail dot com. Please send a PM indicating an email has been sent just incase it's put in the spam folder.
    • PM me with a link to your full-size photo on the web.
Voting:

• Voting will begin at the date stated at the start of this thread.
  • The gallery will be available to view at all times as pictures are added throughout the contest, however all final entries will be posted in this thread with links, along with a poll at the top of the thread.
  • Voting will stay open until the deadline.
Prizes:

• Due to the nature of the contest being ran by regular members, there are no prizes to be offered. You will only gain the satisfaction of being chosen by the members of Anandtech as the best in this month's theme.
  • If any prizes are able to be given away in any future contests, I will be sure to outline the details. If you do not see mention of a prize, then assume there isn't one.

stickified - DrP

Oct 19, 2000
I hope you guys like this month's themes. I was sitting here this morning struggling with both contest themes, and both kind of just came to me. I think we'll see some interesting ones before the month is out.

MadAmos

Sep 13, 2006
They both sound fun to me :D Now it's time to get to think'n and shoot'n :camera:

Amos :cool:

Dec 10, 2005
I hope to participate this month - I've just been so busy with school. Maybe this weekend, provided there is nice weather - the fall brings such nice opportunities

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Kaspian
The sub1 picture under "long expo" gallery made me thirsty.

Same here, but its sad that there's no EXIF data to look at :(

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I forgot to ask, whats the criteria for "Long exposures"?

Use a long exposure ;)

I haven't had a chance to get out and take anything for either category yet, will try and squeeze something in however.

Oct 19, 2000
I forgot to ask, whats the criteria for "Long exposures"?

Whatever you consider long, really. I didn't think about putting a stipulation on length of shutter opening until a few days after the contest had already started, so afterwards I just figured each person would be able to figure it out for themselves. Whatever you feel comfortable with being considered "long" :).

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Crap! For some reason I thought I had till Saturday to submit my pics.:eek::frown::|

I already had them ready too.:(

davestar

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2001
interesting that the secondary theme has garnered more votes... though i guess long exposures are kinda "in" these days.