O'Connor to Retire From Supreme Court

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
WASHINGTON - Justice
Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court and a key swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty, said Friday she is retiring.

O'Connor, 75, said she will leave before the start of the court's next term in October, or when the Senate confirms her successor. There was no immediate word from the White House on who might be nominated to replace O'Connor.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050701/ap_...;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Yeah, I'm glad to see it, but I have a feeling this really is going to end up needing to be in P&N.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
wow now if we can get a couple other of the old geezers to quit this country will be better off.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
This really belongs in P&N. It's both political, and news...

Like the other 25 recent threads about the supreme court in OT????

:disgust:

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
This really belongs in P&N. It's both political, and news...

Like the other 25 recent threads about the supreme court in OT????

:disgust:
This will get very political very fast, watch.

Heck, I'm one of the people that doesn't mind light P&N in OT. This won't be a light discussion, but whatever...

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Hammer
i knew it! that totally explains why rehnquist is toughing it out.

What do you mean? Why wouldn't Rehnquist retire at the same time??

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I wish she would wait three more years.

Why? So the next appointee can be even more liberal, thus strengthening this eminent domain crap decision?

Sandra was a swing vote who dissented on the ED vote. Bush replacing her is a GOOD thing. Replace her with a liberal judge and you can kiss your proerty rights goodbye forever.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Why? So the next appointee can be even more liberal, thus strengthening this eminent domain crap decision?

Sandra was a swing vote who dissented on the ED vote. Bush replacing her is a GOOD thing. Replace her with a liberal judge and you can kiss your proerty rights goodbye forever.

You think whoever he picks would be any better? I just have no trust in Bush's decision making capabilities--nor whoever coaches him on the decision. It won't be in favor of the American people or the Constitution. I have no problem with her being replaced--I just don't want him in charge of it.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

You think whoever he picks would be any better? I just have no trust in Bush's decision making capabilities--nor whoever coaches him on the decision. It won't be in favor of the American people or the Constitution. I have no problem with her being replaced--I just don't want him in charge of it.

I tend to agree.

I wonder why she is retiring?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: jemcam
Yeah, I'm glad to see it, but I have a feeling this really is going to end up needing to be in P&N.
It's about time. Old people suck. :p

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Renquist is a history buff. One of the reasons that he is staying with the court is because he wants to be the longest serving judge

KoolAidKid

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2002

Just out of curiosity, why did you refer to O'Connor by her first name and Bush by his last?