OCing Question (FSB and PCI Bus)

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Hi

guys I have such a question, all my life I was affraid to try overclocking because with the FSB the PCI bus speed also moves from 33 and goes up with the fsb, now how bad is that if its bad at all

please advise

Thank you
Dan

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
It has a remote chance of screwing up the hardware on your pci bus, and slightly bigger chance of screwing up your hard drive, I think. A lot of the current motherboards have PCI/AGP locks so this isn't a problem.

ZL1

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2003
Originally posted by: clicknext
It has a remote chance of screwing up the hardware on your pci bus, and slightly bigger chance of screwing up your hard drive, I think. A lot of the current motherboards have PCI/AGP locks so this isn't a problem.

ok, now here is exactly why I was always affraid of this, how to check if the board has a lock ???
is there a board that allows raising the fsb without touching the pci speed ??

by the way does the agp speed change as well ? I dont currently have anything on pci but wouldnt like to burn my v-card

Thanks
Dan

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
nforce2 and the canterwood/springdale boards have locks... me and my kt600 on the other hand don't... and all the VIA chipsets before that. the agp/pci frequencies are locked at 66/33 respectively so you can ramp up your FSB as high as your CPU/RAM will allow. :D