Oc'ing and memory timings..some help needed-

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
Heyas.

See, I have this cas2.5 256MB 333MHz DDR memory, and I'm wondering about things.

First: I though original memory was defined by the actual memory-circuits being made by the same guys as the memory-board?
Second: How big of a chance will I have of running my cl2.5 memory in cl2 ? It's apacer memory with infineon circuits, if that matters much.
Third: As for cas2; how much can you normally overclock the fbs if you have a normal cl2 memory set to 'medium' cl2-timings before the memory complains and wants to have higher timings? Is there a big difference between cl2 and 2.5 memory here?

Thankyoiouverymuch.

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
you never know 'til you've tried out. Just set it to CL2, run memtest over night and see what it says.

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
Hmm, well that's a pretty vanilla answer :)

Come ooon, quit ignoring me and share your endless wisdom...hey?

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
*ommmmmmm* yes, your ram will run fine at cl2... oh, and btw., in 30 days the world will explode.

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
well theres no defintive answer apart from what you give us
CAN it run at cas2?
probably

WILL it run at cas2?
you have to tell us that, unless you send it to me and i test it heh

are you running it at 333mhz?
if not, and its less than 333mhz, then most likely yes it will

if its at 333mhz or higher, then go into the bios and raise the timings and run memtest86 (download can be found by searching google, or i think theres a link in the faq at the top of the section)

if it errors, go back into bios, and set them to least aggressive (higher #'s) and then try each setting one by one wiht memtest86 in between for a while

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
Hmm, Champion, I didn't quiet get all of that, for example, why would it run at fsb 166 if I could run it under that? In cas2, I mean..but I realize now that isn't what you meant. Of course it'll run synched with an fsb of 166MHz, the question is, in what cas-timings? :/

I kinda thought there was some general consensus on whether cas2.5 RAM can run under cas2..apparently, I was wrong, or you never heard of it.

Also, does no one know what defines 'original' memory?

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
dunno about the original stuff.
Anyway, for example I heard that many Infineon (board and chips) PC333 CL2.5 run at PC400 CL2 fine. But I doubt your ram will behave the same.

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
Em, mems specced to handle 166Mhz fsb at cas2.5 handling 200MHz at cas2 sounds a bit; fantastic?

As for apacer and infineon, doesn't apacer and samsung own infineon or some such?

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
yes, indeed it does, but I'll know soon :) The 2 256 MB PC333 CL2.5 sticks are on the table beside me... just waiting for some other new components.