OC'd Processor deteoriation if 24/7

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
This post needs replies not to convince me of anything, but rather someone else :)
So, if someone had a modern-day PC, and overclocked the CPU, let's say not to the limit, but a fair bit anyways, and let's say this CPU was pretty easy to overclock; Would it break down before it was unable to handle very many modern games at all, so to speak, if the computer was on most of the time ?
I know deteoriation-rate for OC'd cpu's can be hard to predict..but I've never actually heard of anyone who's system died because the stress on the CPU was finally enough while that system was still the persons main rig.

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
hmm, I heard of several dead P4s due to overclocking (although they were overvolting quite a bit).

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I may be wrong, but from what I understand the PIV deaths are not so much due to OCing but running voltage too high for too long. Some PIV's OC great at default voltage.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
I believe the concensus of opinion, and the concensus of experience, is that OCed CPUs last beyond the useful lifetime of a PC; let's say three to five years anyway. It is hard to tell exactly, because people that are inclined to OC don't keep using CPUs when they get that obsolete.

I OCed my Tbird Athlon as far as it would go stabily for 1 1/2 years before I replaced it with a faster one. In a secondary computer with another mobo, it is now OCed slightly more (It wouldn't hit 1GHz before). It hasn't deteriorated any.

I OCed a Celeron 50% (like a lot of people) and it is still going strong OCed 50% in a computer I gave away to another person. That's at least 3 years, maybe 4. The person who has it now does not ever shut off the computer.

However neither of these CPUs were overvolted more than 10%. Nowadays people seem to think 20-30% is just fine. We'll see.

kadajawi

Dec 29, 2000
Well, my Celeron 366 runs at 458 with 2.2V (instead of 2). Still going strong eventhough it has been running 24h at 100% for the last 4 years.