OCd a Phenom II, trying to fold = no go

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
Hi dudes,

I recently pieced together a little rig using a Phenom II 980. OCd that sucker to 4GHz core/2.6GHz CPU-NB. Ran Prime 95 for more than 10 hours - no hiccups. 20 runs of LinX - all good. But as soon as I tried to fold using the V7 client - crashes, crashes everywhere. The error messages say something about "assertion failed". Not only that, but as soon as FAH core crashes, many other programs go haywire as well. My quick research pointed towards a Windows update KB2585542. Right now I'm running memtest and going to reinstall 7 and try to fold without updating anything. Did any of you AMD folders encountered something similar?

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Every machine in my signature is overclocked. All machines have run F@H at one point. No problems with any of them.
I've not run the ver7 client on the 555BE machine or the 960T machine since they are linux and I didn't feel like messing with it.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Last I heard the V7 client was a beta. Maybe try a V6 command-line client or something?

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
Yes, I know that v7 is a beta, it even crashes every few days on my Gulftown rig, but it has a very nice front end. Anyway, I think I narrowed down my problem - it was the overclock. CPU-NB to be exact. I have all the RAM slots occupied and it appears certain loads expose the instability. I gave it a little more volts and cranked loadline calibration all the way up. Will test for a few days and report back. But now I'm scared to update the client on my main rig :eek:.

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
Update: updated the V7 client on my main rig and all is good. The more I play with the Phenom rig the more I'm inclined to believe that I got crappy RAM. Managed to get the system stable by loosening the timings. Looks like it's time for some new RAM. Is Kingston HyperX T1 any good? The airflow in my case is abysmal and the beefy heatsinks will definitely help.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I have used an assortment of HyperX RAM over the years and they've been really solid. No issues. Have a 6 GB set in my i7 970 and the rig has been running 24/7 for the last 1.5 years.