Occupy Protests???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL. Are YOU a communist? Do you know what a communist is? If you're comparing what's going on with communism then you are way out of touch.

He is a crazy mofo that really deserves to be on everyone's ignore list.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Basically, they are a lot like the tea party in the sense that it's just groups of people around the country who are generally unhappy with what they see going on and want an outlet for their frustration. Then, you add the unions and other idiots, various left wing organizations, celebs to the mix. And finally, you add the liberal politicians who view this as their "tea party" opportunity to rally their own fringe groups. Mix it all together, and you have what we see now, a bunch of losers trying to cause as much trouble as they can with no particular viable purpose, gaining support from the left wing.

The whole "get money out of politics" is absolutely 100% laughable and beyond idiotic. It's simply not possible, not going to happen, and I guarantee there will be no such constitutional amendment.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Basically, they are a lot like the tea party in the sense that it's just groups of people around the country who are generally unhappy with what they see going on and want an outlet for their frustration. Then, you add the unions and other idiots, various left wing organizations, celebs to the mix. And finally, you add the liberal politicians who view this as their "tea party" opportunity to rally their own fringe groups. Mix it all together, and you have what we see now, a bunch of losers trying to cause as much trouble as they can with no particular viable purpose, gaining support from the left wing.

The whole "get money out of politics" is absolutely 100% laughable and beyond idiotic. It's simply not possible, not going to happen, and I guarantee there will be no such constitutional amendment.

I agree getting all money out of Politics is impossible but it is not impossible to change laws on how much can be donated and ending stealth CPACS.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
mainly a bunch of young people who thought life was going to be easy and once they finished college they wouldn't have to work any more. They thought that once they got that diplomia they'd have an easy job given to them with a large paycheck. All their student loans would magically disapear and life would be happly ever after.

When in reality, for the first time in their lives they actually had to go and find work on their own, without a teacher holding their hand, without being able to turn in work 'late', and compete on their own skills. Oh and actually 'work' not just go to school for 4 hours a day, and then work on drinking.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
He is a crazy mofo that really deserves to be on everyone's ignore list.

From reading the we are the 99 website, and the ows website. Then its easy to compare it to communism.

The angry people want wage equality. wages even if they are not working. loan forgivness, and free health care. And to pay for it? Take money from the 1%.

But you know, the OWS crowd will tell you thats not communism.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From reading the we are the 99 website, and the ows website. Then its easy to compare it to communism.

The angry people want wage equality. wages even if they are not working. loan forgivness, and free health care. And to pay for it? Take money from the 1%.

But you know, the OWS crowd will tell you thats not communism.

I read it over and I didn't get that feeling but oh well.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Really want to hear something to scare the heebie geebies out of ya, and just possibly scare you into joining in with the protesters? Healthcare costs!
Welmark aka Blue Cross Blue Shield announced they are "raising" average premium's cost for 2012. If you now pay, say $350 a month for a family plan, guess what...? $960 starting in 2012. That is nine hundred and sixty dollars EACH MONTH as of 2012.
What were you planning to do with $610 a month starting in 2012? How bout paying that into your health plan? That is $610 beyond your current monthly premium.

BTW... The next bus heading down to the protests departs in about 30 minutes.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Something needs to be done. These are the first steps where a bunch of hippies run out and flail their arms.

Sooner or later it needs to get organized. We have so many problems and it's only getting worse. We really should mobilize the protests to first throw out all incumbants. Then we should get rid of the "too big to fail" model. Dismantle huge corporations who are too big to fail. Nationalize health care. Mandate fuel efficient cars, high speed rail in the west and east (no need in between), scrap the tax code and put a flat tax in with no loop holes, not allow frivolous litigation, legalize weed, release petty offenders from prison, withdraw our troops from the middle east and put them on our border, foreclose on every home loan that was taken without the ability to pay it, fail kids out of high school who can't read, write, or do basic math, have them do remedial jobs instead of illegal immigrants, require employers to verify legal status or face huge 6-8 figure fines, reduce defense spending by ~80%, funnel more funds into science and technology, invest in mobile reactionary units, cyber warfare, and countering corporate espionage both domestically and internationally, and finally give us our fucking flying cars. They're way overdue :p

We have more problems than I can count. Just because we have it better than Greece doesn't mean we are ok. We are basically completely fucked right now.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
"First, the unions represent a lot more people than the '1%'. They are much more aligned with the '99%', directly and indirectly.

Second, labor does not influence policy - much less disastrous policy - anywhere like the corporate interests."

Unions ARE big business, you just want to give them a pass since you feel they're on your side of the debate.

Labor unions do not influence policy ? Really? I mean WTF you really think that?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"First, the unions represent a lot more people than the '1%'. They are much more aligned with the '99%', directly and indirectly.

Second, labor does not influence policy - much less disastrous policy - anywhere like the corporate interests."

Unions ARE big business, you just want to give them a pass since you feel they're on your side of the debate.

Labor unions do not influence policy ? Really? I mean WTF you really think that?

Are you asking me a question?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Welmark aka Blue Cross Blue Shield announced they are "raising" average premium's cost for 2012. If you now pay, say $350 a month for a family plan, guess what...? $960 starting in 2012. That is nine hundred and sixty dollars EACH MONTH as of 2012.

Thank you obummer, pelosi and reid. Thanks very much. Hopefully the electorate will remember that when they get the chance to oust all the idiots in Nov 2012.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Thank you obummer, pelosi and reid. Thanks very much. Hopefully the electorate will remember that when they get the chance to oust all the idiots in Nov 2012.

Of course you have no evidence that this is related to the health care bill, but it's not like you actually like facts. (reality having a well known liberal bias after all)

ComradeBeck

Jun 16, 2011
Lot of ad hominen here, and a bunch of very out of touch folks, where are these people doling out the endless attack the messenger types from? Get out sometime, pull your heads from Limbaugh and friends asses. You guys should be ashamed to be Americans being so easily led like fools by con artists/dry drunk types and grifters/addicts on tv or radio.

Didn't you right-wingers parents ever teach you not to believe everything from the box? Bad parenting, damn I hope you all are not breeding more mass media zombies.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Whats a little troubling is the amount of anti-semitism thats been going on at the NY protests. its just now starting to get reported on.

What is this "amount" you are referring to? I've read a bunch of articles about this and they describe a few anecdotes. Do you have a source that is quantifying this? From what I've read, it sounds very limited and very anecdotal.

- wolf

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Of course you have no evidence that this is related to the health care bill, but it's not like you actually like facts. (reality having a well known liberal bias after all)

My BCSBS policy went up 10-12% every year between 07 and 09, 300% increase has to be due to some external factors. Can't seem to find anything that mentions that big of an increase anywhere though.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My BCSBS policy went up 10-12% every year between 07 and 09, 300% increase has to be due to some external factors. Can't seem to find anything that mentions that big of an increase anywhere though.

I can't either. In fact, the BCBS increases for the next year that I've been able to dig up are actually smaller than in previous years. (although they are still quite high)

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Lot of ad hominen here, and a bunch of very out of touch folks, where are these people doling out the endless attack the messenger types from? Get out sometime, pull your heads from Limbaugh and friends asses. You guys should be ashamed to be Americans being so easily led like fools by con artists/dry drunk types and grifters/addicts on tv or radio.

Didn't you right-wingers parents ever teach you not to believe everything from the box? Bad parenting, damn I hope you all are not breeding more mass media zombies.

Hmm.

WOW. Just wow.

By' lot of ad hominen here' you meant your post right? Because that whole post was ad hominem throw up.

Nov 29, 2006
I think the basic message is to end corruption/lobbyist etc in our govenment as well as the power a corporation can have over our government. Corporations are not people.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I know, I know, you won't believe them since only liberal sources are considered fact, but several companies have specifically stated that's the reason for the increases.