Ocasio-Cortez Wants to Spend $40T on Progressive Programs. Free Health Care for All?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
5. Change American culture. We eat nothing but fatty foods, drive everywhere, don’t exercise, and sit on our ass watching TV all day. Then and only then do you save money.
That might help a bit, but it won't fix the problem. Eventually, no matter how healthy they live, everyone gets sick and dies. And that's where the true health costs lie.

Plus guy, it's not fatty foods, it's sugary foods. Obesity is never a good thing, all else being equal, but being obese AND diabetic is the big problem.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
5. Change American culture. We eat nothing but fatty foods, drive everywhere, don’t exercise, and sit on our ass watching TV all day. Then and only then do you save money.

So you're healthcare plan is what, ban cars and govt mandated gym memberships and vegan diets?

Oooohh how fashy of you :kissingclosed:

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
They'll pack up and leave to where?

Communist China which just put Fan Bing Bing in prison for evading taxes?
Russia?
Europe with a 55-70% tax?

For the last 40 years the top 1% has gotten away with increasing their wealth a 1000% while the rest of us have been living with low wages.

Higher Education for all so we don't hand out H1B's and Medicare for all make sense.. a lot more sense than some infrastructure bill.

Yep, with the help of their bought and paid off politicians, first the republicans (the barbarians at the gate) and then the democrats (the gate keepers), both paying lip service to labor and the middle class with their trickle down get more educated and prosper bullshit while they keep us distracted with the latest identity politics social justice issue keeping each other at our throats,

Higher Education for all so we don't hand out H1B's is bullshit because it isn't about education but the costs in the race to the bottom.

Comments from video sums it all up

You just let the corporations do whatever they want, you keep electing your politicians that keep taking that corporate money, you unquestioningly buy their shitty products without caring about where they came from or the suffering they caused. You deserve it, USA. You reap what you sow. You shit all over anyone that pointed out how unacceptable it all was, now you get to live in your cesspool. Enjoy it, you earned it

2007 (and earlier, this is just when this was done...)... I remember it well... and in 2017 we're trying to change it but blocked by the very people that are bribed by companies that benefit directly... I didn't watch the whole thing, it makes my stomach turn. But did they mention taxes are radically different with an H1B? The companies don't pay certain ones for 3 years I believe. Making them an even better deal. I can't compete with a foreigner that's going to be making about 1/2 of what I do, skill for skill and still significantly more than the homeland pays, in a system that's gamed against me by my own government... Amazing how far we've fallen...

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Since obesity is Of Concern...

1. Look up other fatty countries
2. Skip over Mexico...copy those fat asses in Aus or UK
3. Save half your money

20100925_WOC354.gif

Reactions: DarthKyrie

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
I stayed at a hotel north of toronto recently while visiting CA Wonderland(awesome park btw), and notice how many industries are in and around the area. How are they able to thrive with the heavy taxation and free health care for all??? I realize, Health Care is the biggest tax for US corporations and business. Also a barrier for competition in a capitalistic environment.

Nov 8, 2012
I'm fine with government regulation for SOME things - and by that I mean very general rules. I don't find it to be excessively liberal to say that regardless of having a salary that if a company wants you to work over 40 they need to pay you time and a half.... which basically means, no one will work over 40. God forbid people have more time to shop (contribute to the economy) or have extra time to have a workout (contribute to health of citizens).

The ONE exception would be people that are self-employed or work for their own companies. Obviously they can work 120 hour weeks and if they don't want to take more they are more than entitled to since it's their company.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm fine with government regulation for SOME things - and by that I mean very general rules. I don't find it to be excessively liberal to say that regardless of having a salary that if a company wants you to work over 40 they need to pay you time and a half.... which basically means, no one will work over 40. God forbid people have more time to shop (contribute to the economy) or have extra time to have a workout (contribute to health of citizens).

The ONE exception would be people that are self-employed or work for their own companies. Obviously they can work 120 hour weeks and if they don't want to take more they are more than entitled to since it's their company.

Do you even know what you're ranting about? Health insurance premiums are screwing over the self-employed more than anyone else.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
That might help a bit, but it won't fix the problem. Eventually, no matter how healthy they live, everyone gets sick and dies. And that's where the true health costs lie.

Plus guy, it's not fatty foods, it's sugary foods. Obesity is never a good thing, all else being equal, but being obese AND diabetic is the big problem.

Ok then

6. Stop spending $100k a month to keep grandma alive (albeit in bed hooked up to tubes and barely lucid). Americans need to com to grips with death and focus on enjoying life rather than simply prolonging it

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
How much are businesses paying right now for their employees' health care plans?
That $40 trillion figure is over 10 years, or $4 trillion/year. We already pay half a trillion every under the current Medicare budget.
Are the current total health care costs in the US, including the health insurance premiums for private and employer plans, less than $3.5 trillion/year?
Universal health care from the federal govt wouldn't be my first choice, but let's use honest numbers please.

Of course this post was ignored.

Americans currently pay 3.3 trillion a year for health care with businesses picking up about 1.2 trillion of that.

And that's for shitty, expensive health care that doesn't cover everyone and that has very little cost control measures in it.

So I take issue with a 40 trillion cost unless her proposals have no cost control measures.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Ok then

6. Stop spending $100k a month to keep grandma alive (albeit in bed hooked up to tubes and barely lucid). Americans need to com to grips with death and focus on enjoying life rather than simply prolonging it

Man, your plan suuucks.

But, if this is your thing, couldn't we still copy the Germans and kill off granny, and save even more money?

Not really an either or situation here.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Granny and just get a more efficient system, rather than make waste more affordable. For the record.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Anyway, more on topic, their fear of AOC is about the disturbance in the force (to use a pop culture reference, if you will) that their extremism has created. The force might not be real, but balance is a necessity, everything in the universe seeks its equilibrium. So of course, it is only natural that the rise of right wing nationalism will give birth to its left wing counterpart. And yeah, the right is (albeit unconsciously) very worried about that.

I think you may be over complicating things a bit. Her platform is extremely popular. Medicare for all has, I think, more than 50% support from Republicans. Jobs guarantees, affordable housing, free college, etc. All extremely popular, and all of it threatens the wealthy, which includes douchebags like Jake Tapper.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Yeah, he’s a piece of shit. I had one grandparent go suddenly and 3 that took months or even years to die one they lost their health. All three were cared for by family and had very little spent on them as far as health care costs go. Some nurse visits, some prescription drugs.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Ok then

This is the entire "death panels" thing in a nutshell. Yet no liberal I've seen has ever advocated this. It took you to do it. LOL

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump's HHS secretary increased the price of insulin that diabetic kids need threefold. People who are telling you we can't afford universal single payer are simply lying. We can afford it, we just choose to spend just as much or more than anyone else and not cover everyone.

Nov 25, 2013
Based on my research, I'm not aware of any country (Canada being an example) that doesn't have a massive "2nd Coverage" market - because the bare coverage is comparitaively dog shit with insane wait times.

Feel free to correct me if wrong there - i can't speak behalf on a country I haven't lived in. The basic message was that if you're in the middle to upper class (basically anyone on AT), just about everyone had 2nd coverage.

So to the point of budget replacing other coverages, how do you defend that against everyone needing 2nd coverage?

Speaking as a Canadian, you don't have a clue about our system. Not one single clue. Nor even a hint of a clue. In fact, I'd be surprised if you even knew how to spell the word clue. But y'all have a very nice day now. :)

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Dear fucking god just take a business or tax 101 class. TRY, just TRY to pull your head out of your ass and understand some basics.

You sound like a Russian bot with your typical occupy wallstreet slogan statements of "The top 1% has gotten away with... x"

"Try to understand some basics"... then you don't even try to outline any basics.

Good job!

Mar 11, 2004
Speaking as a Canadian, you don't have a clue about our system. Not one single clue. Nor even a hint of a clue. In fact, I'd be surprised if you even knew how to spell the word clue. But y'all have a very nice day now. :)

He doesn't have a clue about much of anything. Its like they're having a competition to see who can talk out of their ass the most, make the most absurdly stupid commentary, or just plain make up the most shit by weight.

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
No, that just seems to be how your brain works.

With every post you make, the more clear it becomes that having shit for brains would be an upgrade for you. It really is like you gaggle of idiots have taken my berating of your thoughts as a challenge to see just how truly stupid you can go with them.

He doesn't have a clue about much of anything. Its like they're having a competition to see who can talk out of their ass the most, make the most absurdly stupid commentary, or just plain make up the most shit by weight.

You know I would be lying if I said I didn't like your style. There it is. Make of it what you will.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Jim Carrey was on Real Time with Bill Maher last week.

At one point he said: (paraphrased)

"Americans are always so amazed Canadians are so nice. Yeah. You know why we're so friendly? Because we have healthcare.

Critics will say there's long lines and no one gets treatment. That's bullshit. I never waited in a line. It's great. More importantly, it's about taking care of other people. Nobody gets denied."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ok then

I am 100% in support of this. We spend a huge amount of money to prolong living in situations where we already know it’s over and no decent quality of life can be salvaged. I see no reason to do this.