OC with X79 & 2011

martman

Dec 10, 2005
I have a ASRock X79 Extreme11 LGA 2011 on its way and would like to find some reliable and easy to understand overclocking info for this board. I am far from an expert on ocing and need something along the line of ocing x79 and lga 2011 for Dummies. lol

Thank you for any help

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
It's the same as SB and IVB. Just raise the cpu multi and raise voltage as required to maintain stability. Be aware that SB-E requires better cooling than SB/IVB.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
It's the same as SB and IVB. Just raise the cpu multi and raise voltage as required to maintain stability. Be aware that SB-E requires better cooling than SB/IVB.

Not exactly. He can also mess with the bclk as well. I had a lot more success (and better temps) adjusting that vs. just the multi. Just my $0.02.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Not exactly. He can also mess with the bclk as well. I had a lot more success (and better temps) adjusting that vs. just the multi. Just my $0.02.

Yup,same here.

Perhaps the op could apply one of the overclocking profiles his board has to offer,assuming it isn't pumping out to much vcore,then when he is ready he could manually adjust some settings.

4ghz is a walk in the park and a good starting point,that's where i am at with my 3930k and honestly pretty happy with it.:thumbsup:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

I've found bclk to be kinda flakey and not worth the trouble, but to each his own and whatever works best.

InsaneAdam

Jan 5, 2013
I'm stoked about overclocking my x79 and 3820, whenever it comes in the mail from new egg. I'll be sure to post all the details once I have.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Some of the 2011 chips work better on bclk and some work better on the multiplier. Some the difference likely depends on the motherboard as well. Mine will happily do 125 bclk but then I loose about 100Mhz from the top clock speed when using it. The next strap up wont boot at all. So I find multiplier only overclocking to be more effective. But my 3930k is pretty rubbish, it wont do 4.5 Ghz stable even under water at 1.35V.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
I'm stoked about overclocking my x79 and 3820, whenever it comes in the mail from new egg. I'll be sure to post all the details once I have.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

You can do 4.8Ghz with that chip, anything more and stability goes out the window.

Reduce Multi ,,,,,, and raise FSB ....... or just go with raising multi only.. your choice,,,,,,, remember to up the voltage as you go higher and higher,, gl

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
Some of the 2011 chips work better on bclk and some work better on the multiplier. Some the difference likely depends on the motherboard as well. Mine will happily do 125 bclk but then I loose about 100Mhz from the top clock speed when using it. The next strap up wont boot at all. So I find multiplier only overclocking to be more effective. But my 3930k is pretty rubbish, it wont do 4.5 Ghz stable even under water at 1.35V.

Very good advice.

I can hit about the same top speed with just a multi change or a bclck change + small multi change, but my max load temps are a good 10-15C cooler with the current setup in my rig.

@Brightcandle - you got kind of a lame 3930k...:/

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Very good advice.

I can hit about the same top speed with just a multi change or a bclck change + small multi change, but my max load temps are a good 10-15C cooler with the current setup in my rig.

I overclock by setting a temperature and voltage ceiling so that I don't put the chip too far out of its safe zone since I work my CPUs pretty hard most of the day. Max temperature is 70C and max voltage is 1.35V. Both of which are based on Intel's technical documents (and the xtremesystems CPU failure reports. Some poor guy had a SB pop at 1.4V in a few hours!).

I should have replaced the CPU 9 months ago when it was more valuable and less beat up. But for quite a while I thought it was the motherboard that was overheating causing the crashes and so I watercooled that to solve it. It didn't but now my VRMs are not burning hot any more. But then I was putting more heat into the water loop and I found it was warmer than I like and so I fixed that with more cooling. Then I had a couple of fans break and the machine has now been in bits waiting for replacements (my kingdom for 24 screws that work with a PA 120.3 25mm spaced rad!).

Its been the CPU all along which I really only come to the conclusion of about 2 months ago.

I haven't really tweaked this machine anywhere near as much as my X58, I didn't see much value in hunting for the ideal settings to get 4.5 Ghz when 4.4 run stable at about 1.325 V. I suspect its possible, it can run for days without crashing but once pushed or in particular games it will blue screen. 4.4 on the other hand does not seem marginal at all, seems very stable with no hunting around. I think I gave it +0.1V at one point as I had a crash but nothing since.

This is the nature of overclocking, it takes weeks to confirm a 24/7 stable settings and combined with new graphics drivers and new games it can take a while to attribute it to the CPU or GPU overclock you have applied. So in this case I am guilty of being a bit lazy with how hard I worked to get that last 100-200 Mhz that really only water can get you, but then the CPU is lame so why bother?!

I think I will wait for IB-E and haswell, see if either offers something more compelling in terms of overclock or performance and replace the bleeding thing. I have hated this X79 machine since it was born, is spent about 3 months in bits of its 12 month lifetime, its been a royal pain in the backside. Not that the motherboard + CPU is the problem, just other stuff keeps breaking (SSD failure, HDD failure, replacing the 7970's for microstutter, + all the refits of watercooling and such which takes ages).

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Sandy E and Ivy E coming in Q3 2013. Im going to get it and slap it on my mobo. No need to buy a whole new motherboard install it etc. This is why I got 2011 cuz my next chip is Ivy E 8 core. thx

Faster then any Haswell for 2013. Then in 2014 they release the enthusiast chips.
The Ivy 12 core will blow a hole in the Haswell. Chip of the year 2013 is Ivy E @ 6 to 12 core plus HT.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Currently running a i7 3820 @ 125 Strap X 38 = 4750 @ 1.290V. Running a custom waterloop so temps are around 50C on load.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Very good advice.

Its ok man,, I promise you this summer Sandy Bridge E and Ivy E 6 to 12 cores come out. I am ready for it as they will work with x79 2011 ,,,,, pretty cool to have a mobo and nice fast chip for 2 or 3 years then pop in a 12 core 24 thread monster.. thx gl

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Very good advice.

No I heard 3930k ,,,,,,,,, people have trouble with even 4.2Ghz ,,,, with air easy 4.6 and water 4.8ghz

caboob

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
Currently running a i7 3820 @ 125 Strap X 38 = 4750 @ 1.290V. Running a custom waterloop so temps are around 50C on load.

Very nice. I have to pump mine with 1.37V to be stable there. Under water as well.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
I could probably do 125 x 38 but that's the max. Tried 5GHz with 1.35V and it booted but unstable. Don't wont to put more volts since I am nearing the limits of my PSU :)

Full system load puts me at 700Watts :)

And currently I can neither afford a new PSU or a new CPU so going to be content with this ...for now :)