OC and Benchmark Tools

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I posted this in one of the sticky threads but I guess it doesn't get much notice so...

I just completed building a new box with Asus x99-Pro/USB 3.1 motherboard, G.Skill Ripjaws V series 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4-3200 with 14-14-14-34 timings, i7-5820K CPU with a Corsair H100i GTX water cooler, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hydro GPU with water cooler, and Samsung M.2 PCIe SSD 950 Pro.

I'm not really that much of a gamer and the main purpose of this box is image and 4K video editing using Adobe CC suite (Photoshop, Ligthroom, Premiere Pro and AfterEffects). My case is the Thermaltake V71 with three 200mm fans (2 intake, one exhaust) and in addition the two 120mm H100i fans and one 120mm 980 Ti fan with one more 120mm intake fan at the bottom.

I plan to OC a bit but not push it. Probably the best point would be just a bit more than the max GHz/W point which I'd guess would be about 4.1GHz so perhaps 4.2GHz or there about's. I figure a similar conservative OCing of the GPU and RAM. The goal of OCing is to improve performance without risking reliability or upping the noise by very much. A large video render could tax the system for a few hours though with a system this powerful that's not that likely. Still, I want it to be stable and not too loud while rendering.

So that brings me to the best CURRENT stress tests and benchmarks. It looks like Prime95 and IntelBurn Test will stress the CPU pretty well but I don't think I want to really push the tests way beyond real world stress levels. For GPU I was thinking UNiGiNE would be a good test with Cinebench for benchmark. For RAM ... MemTest.

I guess what I'm asking is what, in 2016, are the best tests for stress and benchmark programs for a box that's aimed at image and 4K video editing?

Brian

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
For real world usage stress testing I'd probably say h264 video encoding of some kind maybe with Handbrake. Possibly try Asus Real Bench as well. Crysis 3 will usually topple an unstable CPU or GPU overclock fairly quick as well.

Nov 26, 2005
Asus Real Bench. I ran the latest P95, 28.7, for 3hrs on an X58 system testing for Uncore stability and I had no errors. I started up Asus Real Bench to do the stability test and it crashed within 2 minutes.

IBT is also pretty good.

EDIT: Whoops.. P95 was set to Blend at 3 min intervals using 3584MB of ram

Last edited: