Observing Middle Aged Americans Purchasing Food.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
I hadn't eaten all day, and I spent $11 on four larger burgers, and I didn't have to cook anything myself. Seemed like a win/win at the time. (And I got three meals out of those four burgers.)

McDonalds makes burgers? Who woulda thunk that. That chain food poisoned me 3 times about 40 years ago and I have never been back. Never will go to McDs again in this life.

Reactions: whm1974

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Last night after work I went grocery shopping. A co-worker was in line in front of me. He made a comment on the stuff in my cart. I had boneless skinless chicken thighs, a bottle of olive oil, frozen fish, a head of cauliflower, broccoli, some apples, grapefruit, dog food, Raisin Bran with Bananas cereal, white almond milk, Greek yogurt, pistachios, avocados, and a couple of Smart Ones meals for when I'm lazy.

He scolded me for the frozen dinners, telling me how much fake crap and salt was in them. His cart had maybe 6 frozen pizzas, Totinos? Party rolls, a couple bags of Doritos, paper towels, a jar of pickles, and some ice cream and freezer pops. Also some miscellaneous cans of soup I'm not sure. Also a 5 lb. tube of ground beef (yuck) He's about 275 pounds, I am 185 and a runner. I know he was kidding with me. But if I ate like him and his family did, I'd likely die on the toilet. I know they go out to eat a lot, we talk often at work.

Quite often my co-workers go out to lunch, and bring food back to their desks with them. It does smell good, especially pizza, but I go to the gym on my lunch hour. I do like to binge every once in a while, a doughnut or ice cream won't kill you infrequently. But every day, man no thanks.

TechYoda

Aug 21, 2019
I was consuming aroung 3500ccal from a junk food and even more on Friday nights. After i started to work out with a personal trainer he told me keep around 3000 but exclude fast carbs, milk and junk like chips and soda(that was the hardest part). It became hard to get those 3000ccal and more expensive but it worth it.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks a lot @nOOky I am now craving pizza!!!

I made a thin crust, white sauce, spinach, sun dried tomato, feta cheese, mozzarella, and grilled chicken pizza last night with a little bit of sausage on top. I broiled it at the end to get it brown and bubbly. It was horrible ;)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Alfredo and sweet Italian sausage from the local meat market. That doesn't sound right does it lol

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Alfredo and sweet Italian sausage from the local meat market. That doesn't sound right does it lol
What do you mean by doesn't sound right? I like Dominoes garlic white sauce instead of tomatoe sauce

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I'll take the sweet Italian Sausage but I really don't care for Alfredo Sauce at all.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Part of the issue is almost everything has carbs in it. Trying to eliminate that 100% and you basically narrow down your meal choices to a pretty small and boring selection. One of my coworkers is eating a meat only diet, I don't know how he does it. I would get so grossed out always eating just meat not to mention it would get expensive. Not even sauce or seasoning or anything and no side dishes to go with it, not even vegetables.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Part of the issue is almost everything has carbs in it. Trying to eliminate that 100% and you basically narrow down your meal choices to a pretty small and boring selection. One of my coworkers is eating a meat only diet, I don't know how he does it. I would get so grossed out always eating just meat not to mention it would get expensive. Not even sauce or seasoning or anything and no side dishes to go with it, not even vegetables.
Ask him if he has problems shitting.:p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I went to my local Kaiser Permanente yesterday to get my flu shot. As I waited in line I observed the people. With the exception of a few very young kids hand-held by adults, all the clients there looked really unhealthy.

I only occasionally peak into other people's baskets at the supermarket. Lately I shop those stores much less.

I'm going in 10 minutes to Safeway to buy a dozen bagels, that's it... I do it every couple weeks, usually when they have a special on them. The store's just opening up at 6AM, they'll have the gamut. Not the healthiest food, but I only eat one a day sliced in thirds and toasted as breakfast, topped with carmelized onions.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ask him if he has problems shitting.:p

Oddly enough he does but that's what led him to that diet lol. It started with just removing glutten then it was not enough then vegetables too. I think he legit does have celiac since he can't even do small amounts of glutten, but it might be more underlying issues too.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Oddly enough he does but that's what led him to that diet lol. It started with just removing glutten then it was not enough then vegetables too. I think he legit does have celiac since he can't even do small amounts of glutten, but it might be more underlying issues too.
Has he tried oatmeal? Some spicy kimchi will do it if he is not used to consuming any in his diet. Where is he getting his vitamin C from?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Has he tried oatmeal? Some spicy kimchi will do it if he is not used to consuming any in his diet. Where is he getting his vitamin C from?

His philosophy is you get everything you need from meat alone... I don't think it's true, but I don't argue... he's dead set on that lol. He was originally into the whole paleo thing as well but at least with that there was some vegetables.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
His philosophy is you get everything you need from meat alone... I don't think it's true, but I don't argue... he's dead set on that lol. He was originally into the whole paleo thing as well but at least with that there was some vegetables.
Does he eat the whole animal? Ask him where does he get his vitamin C and how he can afford to eat so much meat?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
He does some odd ball stuff like stick the bones (ex: ribs) in the instant pot for an hour and drink the juices etc. Pretty sure he eats liver and that sort of thing too, so yeah he probably comes close to eating the whole animal lol. He looks for deals on bulk meat like buying a big chunk of a cow from a local farmer and what not. not sure where he does get his vitamin C or he probably will say you don't need it lol. He's very set in his ways when it comes to nutrition stuff.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
He does some odd ball stuff like stick the bones (ex: ribs) in the instant pot for an hour and drink the juices etc. Pretty sure he eats liver and that sort of thing too, so yeah he probably comes close to eating the whole animal lol. He looks for deals on bulk meat like buying a big chunk of a cow from a local farmer and what not. not sure where he does get his vitamin C or he probably will say you don't need it lol. He's very set in his ways when it comes to nutrition stuff.
Even bulk deals on meat can add up to be a huge expense per year. How long has he been doing this? And where is getting his "info" from anyway?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Even bulk deals on meat can add up to be a huge expense per year. How long has he been doing this? And where is getting his "info" from anyway?

Only been like a year or so and guess by not buying any other food it kinda comes up to the same price wise, or maybe just a bit more expensive. I think he gets his info from conspiracy related videos that he swears by, I don't recall any names of videos but it's basically this "movement" to go to 100% unprocessed food. But it's more than just unprocessed food, it's taking out food groups completely. A bit over the top imo.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

If he's eating liver, that's probably preventing him from having some bad symptoms. It should keep the Vitamin C, E, and folate levels from being too low.

Carbs aren't really bad, though they aren't equal either. Same goes for fats. This really has a lot to do with how the food was prepared (carbs + protein = bad Maillard reactions if grilled, fried, etc.., though red meat itself seems to be associated with some bad outcomes despite lower calorie diet) and the level of calories you consume, which most people aren't disciplined enough to be satiated from processed or sugar-rich foods. Eating more protein than a typical person is bad because it activates mTOR which progresses age-related conditions.

Does this guy take laxatives or a supplemental fiber at all if he complains of being constipated? Tell the guy to try fenugreek. He'll have poop that slides right out.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Where did this meat only diet came from anyway? And why did your friend decide to follow this to begin with?

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
McDonalds makes burgers? Who woulda thunk that. That chain food poisoned me 3 times about 40 years ago and I have never been back. Never will go to McDs again in this life.

Nope, I was driving out in the desert between Las Vegas and LA. After "communing" with the scrub brush at the side of the freeway for an hour or two I made a pact with myself to starve before eating McDonalds again. The pact has lasted about 40 years so far.