Obscure Beethoven works you like

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
if you nerds like mozart, get these:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just an idea after catching up here (in a cursory way): If you are bored while listening to a piece of music that doesn't mean the piece is boring, necessarily. It does mean you're bored while listening to it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Just an idea after catching up here (in a cursory way): If you are bored while listening to a piece of music that doesn't mean the piece is boring, necessarily. It does mean you're bored while listening to it. :)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Mozart is boring to a lot of people.

Many throughout history has roasted him as the overrated and "happy" and "for pleasure only". Just wander to talkclassical....

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Mozart is boring to a lot of people.

Many throughout history has roasted him as the overrated and "happy" and "for pleasure only". Just wander to talkclassical....

I don't like to put it that way. I prefer to think what is verifiable and undeniable: i.e. a lot of people find Mozart boring, or the same thing, a lot of people feel bored when they are listening to Mozart. I do not say Mozart is boring, understand? "One man's meat is another man's poison."

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I don't like to put it that way. I prefer to think what is verifiable and undeniable: i.e. a lot of people find Mozart boring, or the same thing, a lot of people feel bored when they are listening to Mozart. I do not say Mozart is boring, understand? "One man's meat is another man's poison."
The addition of the infinitive phrase "to a lot of people" modifies the statement so it is no longer implies "to all people". I believe the meanings are synonymous.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The addition of the infinitive phrase "to a lot of people" modifies the statement so it is no longer implies "to all people". I believe the meanings are synonymous.
I do not comprehend this. What are your referring to as synonymous?

Obviously Mozart <>boring or we would have forgotten him long ago.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I do not comprehend this. What are your referring to as synonymous?

Obviously Mozart <>boring or we would have forgotten him long ago.
I suppose you are merely shading my use of passive voice in a roundabout way.

Mozart's music bores a lot of people. Happy?

(BTW, I am not one of those people who gets bored by Mozart. So F any messenger shooters).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
How is poppy boring is my point.
The rock snob pop hater would say:
Chord changes are predictable
Not enough chords used.
Can't play instrument
Girl can't sing.
Dudes are gay(i.e Backstreet Boys. I like "I Want It That Way" and "Shape of My Heart" and I consider haters insecure men who are made other men have much higher mate value then them. I am not insecure, so I don't care that I like a boy band. The lyricism is all that matters and it pleases me)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The rock snob pop hater would say:
Chord changes are predictable
Not enough chords used.
Can't play instrument
Girl can't sing.
Dudes are gay(i.e Backstreet Boys. I like "I Want It That Way" and "Shape of My Heart" and I consider haters insecure men who are made other men have much higher mate value then them. I am not insecure, so I don't care that I like a boy band. The lyricism is all that matters and it pleases me)
I listen to the radio a lot, but not broadly. I don't go up and down the dial, I listen to "my" radio station mostly, the one I've been a DJ on since 1980, KALX, Berkeley.'' Very eclectic station, 24/7, at UC Berkeley. I do a 3 hour show once a week.

I'll turn the radio off if I don't like what a DJ is doing, specifically, on many occasions because I ask myself the question: Do I want to hear this song? This selection? Is this worth my time? So much of modern pop music sucks, IS boring. Rick Beato has done videos on this topic and explains, for instance this. He's very deep in music theory with decades of music production experience. Myself, I'm not that as analytical. Many times I have a sense that there's no excitement, no inspiration, that a song came into being not because an artist was inspired one way or another but because they felt compelled to create a track for their latest album, single or addition to their catalogue. Many songs strike me as not new creations at all, but just a rehashing of a trend or style with nothing added of significance.

I have little patience for synthesizer work a lot of the time. There are so many bands that use real instruments that are populated with musicians with real chops, many with virtuosos. Why listen to some Pablum pale imitation or worse when you could be listening to the real thing?

And there's the autotune thing recently. Industry has people hypnotized, tend to kill and part of that is the music industry, much of which tends to kill innovation, is all too often afraid of real excitement.

Last edited: