Oblivion Question: Is it possible to kill city guards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I just started playing yesterday so i'm a pretty low level n00b. I suppose city guards are very powerful.

Anyway, this is going to sound silly, but this is kind of a dream of mine: I want to be able to pillage, destroy, and lay waste to a whole city (kill all citizens and guards). Would this be possible? Or would the guards kick my ass at any level i'm at? Do the guards casts spells or do they just do melee?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Someone on here managed it, i always get mauled by 2-3 of them. But yeah you can kill guards and lay waste to a city. I havent managed it though, although its something ive wanted to do as well.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
I havnt played for a while but last time I did I went around taking out whole cities w/ arrows. One shot to the face and the guard was gone. Dont remember where I was though

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Phokus
I just started playing yesterday so i'm a pretty low level n00b. I suppose city guards are very powerful.

Anyway, this is going to sound silly, but this is kind of a dream of mine: I want to be able to pillage, destroy, and lay waste to a whole city (kill all citizens and guards). Would this be possible? Or would the guards kick my ass at any level i'm at? Do the guards casts spells or do they just do melee?

The game levels up npcs with you, but you can get a mod that makes everything set levels. (so you'll be crushed even more at the start, but be able to level up to the point where you can crush)

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Yes it's possible... but you need to have just utterly badass stuff to do it. Since the guards level with you, they'll always have decent stats. But they also always have that garbage armor and weapons, so once you get something a lot better than that you can do pretty well.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
While in game press ~
type "tgm" without quotes.

Of course thats the easy way to do it.
As others have said already, get "badass" stuff and what not, level up to near 100 as possible, and then you'll probably be able to do it.

And there are always mods that set levels as a set point (I think OOO might do it)

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
IIRC, the guards are always 10 levels above you, though they might cap out. So, when you're level 1, they are supposedly 10x times as powerful as you. When you are level 40, they would then be 25% more powerful. On top of that, you will have better gear than the guards at later levels and should be able to take them on pretty easily.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It depends on how your skills are relative to your level and stats. I have found an easy way to beat the "leveling" system in Oblivion.
You make a custom class and pick primary skills that you never intend to use. If you wanted to be a fighter you would make all the magic skills primary. If you never use magic you never level up.
BUT, if you increase your blade skill your attack goes up. Guards stay the same level + you get more dangerous = massacre.

Now, would anybody like to point out the fairly obvious pitfall in raising your skills hundreds of points and leveling up slowly?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
100% chameleon... I've layed waste to cities. Cant kill everyone though. Some characters are unkillable :(

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: shortylickens
It depends on how your skills are relative to your level and stats. I have found an easy way to beat the "leveling" system in Oblivion.
You make a custom class and pick primary skills that you never intend to use. If you wanted to be a fighter you would make all the magic skills primary. If you never use magic you never level up.
BUT, if you increase your blade skill your attack goes up. Guards stay the same level + you get more dangerous = massacre.

Now, would anybody like to point out the fairly obvious pitfall in raising your skills hundreds of points and leveling up slowly?

You don't get the cool equipment unless you're a higher level?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope.
The amount of stat point increases you get at each level is dependant on the skills you raised to get that level.

If you properly balance the skill raises to get each level you can raise three stats with five points each, for a total of 15 points in stats at every level. This gives you the maximum potential stats and makes you very competative at each level.

With the system I just layed out, you will get massive points in the early times you level up and then it will slow down in mid levels, i.e. you will only have the potential for fewer stat points.
This will actually make you weak because guards and monsters level with you, and you will be outclassed as their stats go up.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Yea, you can. I've done it many times, pretty easily. This is on my 360, so no cheating.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
It's very possible. My friend did it at level one with all Glass weapons and armor :p I've done it with my level 12 with Steel arrows, fire and a lot of time.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I use OOO and as a starting char, I went to the waterfront, waited for the guard to walk near the ship. When you walk on the ship, the 3 crew members go hostile. If the guard is near, he attacks the hostile sailors. My intention was to have the guard kill the 3 sailors and I pickup a silver cutlass but those 3 ended up killing the guard. I picked up his stuff and ran away. Came by later to "avenge" the guard.

Yes, you can kill guards and 100% chameleon is probably the easiest way to do it at any level if you are so inclined.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I've done it...I was on a Dark Brotherhood quest, and provoked one of my victims to attack me first.

The city guards responded and actually helped me complete my contract, but one of the guards got in the way of my sword one too many times, and the guards turned on me...I said what the hell, summoned a minion, and started taking out town guards left and right...and then I turned on the citizenry. I was probably around level 40 at the time, and has superior weapons and armor to the guards.

It was fun...a corpse laden city with tons of loot.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I think one of the annoying things about Oblivion was that the armor was kinda lame. I mean glass armor...is that at all creative? I liked the gritty stuff, with the gritty magic. The glass swords and crap was just stupid. Good game though.
I was hoping for more fantasy quests in terms of say, hunting for a dragon as a finale side quest, or hunting a Unicorn.
If you ever played Dragon Quest at www.dragoncourt.com you'd know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Looks like the game died, but it was an online game that was fun. It was a text based RPG that was immense fun, it was free, and it was a blast. The cool thing was was that you'd have all this equipment, to look after, like in Oblivion, but it could rust, and you'd have 10 turns at the start, and these 10 turns would let you explore. The more you gained levels with the games' demanding XP system, the more turns you got. It was very classic, and very nostalgic for me.
The guards in that game were as tough to beat as they are in this one. lol

nevermindmyname

Apr 5, 2010
Also, if you have a high enough illusion level (,or if you have the computer version, go into the consol and type in player.setav Illusion 999) you can use a frenzy spell and make the civilians try to kill the guards. Then you can take out the guards while invisible by 100% charmeleon

Last edited:

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Three years..... "3" years ago was the last reply.

At least you know how to use the search option...

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I was wondering why there was such an intense discussion about such an old game. Nice necro

Status
Not open for further replies.