oblivion install problem

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
First off, let me say that I bought the game in China, however, before anyone jumps and says that's the problem, i also want to add that all the other games I bought in china work just fine. So here's the issue:

The game when I try to load it doesn't seem to translate everything. the install wizard has a bunch of ?????'s instead of words in a lot of spots, all in all it translates about 50% of it into chinese but alot of it is just ???'s. why is this? is there something that I can do to get that to work right? Anyway, when I go to autorun the game it says that "d3dx9_27 could not be found, etc. and the game fails to start, and it says i should reinstall (which i've tried already) then the error manager starts in vista logging the error. I tried running as admin. and also in xp compatibility mode, still nothing. So then i went into the game file itself and tried to load from there, same thing. then i tried to get into the startup screen for the game where it has the technical help/play/options/uninstall, etc. and no matter what i click on, it says the files are not installed or found and to reinstall.

Is it the region coding on my cd drive? because if it is i have another CD drive could pop in and run as a region 6 (china) drive. Or is it something to do with Vista? The game is a LEGAL copy, it's not a rip off version or anything like that, so it should be fine, there's just something i'm missing.

Any help is really appreciated. I'd post the log file that event manager has, but that computer is not hooked up to the internet yet since i just got back from China yesterday.

Thanks,

John