Oblivion graphics

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
So I really enjoyed Morrowind and want to play Oblivion (does anyone know when it comes out by any chance?)

Anyway, I want to see it in all its graphical glory :p and am thinking about putting together a new system. I've become addicted to high-resolution from my 1920x1200 laptop, but I know it could never push that game to look the way it should (9700 mobility).

Anyway, I want to get a nice monitor (1600x1200 minimum) and a video card that can push Oblivion at 1600x1200 (or whatever the monitor is) with full settings, AA optional, and around 30 FPS (low FPS in Morrowind doesn't bother me).

Suggestions? 7800GT has been my thought for awhile now, but an x800GTO2 would be cool if it could do it. I'm not afraid of a lil' OCing action.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Advice: wait until the game is out before trying to buy hardware for it. It's impossible to give any kind of accurate advice right now.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Advice: wait until the game is out before trying to buy hardware for it. It's impossible to give any kind of accurate advice right now.

Yup. Not to mention, we dont want to see another HL2 fiasco.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
My initial thought is to wait for the game to be released before deciding. They have not given a final date as of yet (it's already in a 2-month+ delay as it is), but many think it will be the end of March. Youo just don't want to be buying a card for a game that might not be here when you expected it to (a la HL2, etc).

Morrowing was notorious for running slowly when it first came out, even on somewhat high-end systems. I expect this title to be no different. They just announced that they removed dynamic realtime shadows on everything except characters and trees because of the stress put on the engine.

But, the geek in me wants to know too so I can prepare my system for it as best I can too. Still, a 7800GT isn't a bad card, and I don't forsee its price dropping too much more over time than it is right now. Certainly not a bad buy at any rate. However, it may struggle in this game, and nVidia will likely have released their new line of cards by late March (though we will have to see if they're actually available, affordable, and see how they perform compared to the x1900-series). If you're okay with waiting until the game actually comes out (or if the devs say what the recommended specs are), that might be best.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Yeah, I'm not too worried about waiting until it comes out. I wish it would though! :p I just read that about the shadows, which is alright I suppose. When did Morrowind come out though? I play it fine at 1920x1200 w/ 16x AF on my 9700 mobility, which isn't exactly top-of-the line... was it really that old of a game that this seems like much newer hardware?

At any rate, what about a monitor? Those don't change much and won't in the next few months.. unless I want the 30" Dell...

AzNPinkTuv

Nov 29, 2005
ESIII is hella old.. like 2003?

get the 24" dell one... theres good reviews about it... as for your video card.. the g71 would be out by then.. hopefully so just wait

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: aznpxdd91780
Did you guys get the news that Oblivion's individual object's shadow are gone from the final release. The game now looks just like a improve version of morrowind, not next-gen at all.
Heres a thread about it on another forum:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1011766&highlight=oblivion
Go to the 2nd page to see some before & after shots

Comparing 2 different videos at 2 different times is not a good comparison. We have no idea what settings that 2nd video used, or what build that was vs the E3 video. Not saying it isn't exactly what we'll get when the game is released either. I don't know.

But seriously, look at those pictures and tell me that taking SHADOWS out is what makes those 2 pictures look different. No freakin way. Something else is going on-- either the German video isn't using the same high-res textures the E3 video did, or lower settings, or something..... OR Bethesda is pulling a bait and switch by throwing out gorgeous videos and screenshots for an E3 demo to generate all kinds of hype, only to replace it with a much-watered-down version later. It wouldn't be the first time. However, I'll reserve much judgement for the final version on my system (or until the devs confirm it).

Granted, I would love a graphically ground-breaking game... but, and I'm sure other RPG fans will agree, a great game with simply good graphics is all that is needed.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Kalessian
A dev did confirm it. Read the entire thread.

Sorry for not reading through that whole thread yet (I will try soon), but are you saying that a developer said that "yes, the german video is how the game looks now at its highest resolution and settings... it no longer even comes close to what we showed at E3"? Because that is what I'm getting at. Note that the devs confirmed the loss of shadows... that I know. If you can, quote to me what they said about the german video (or point to a particular post in that thread for me).

John Reynolds

Dec 6, 2005
The dev actually said the opposite, that the german video from which that bad pic is taken from is not how the final game will look with its options turned up. Fully dynamic shadowing on all objects would be nice, but in a very large, open game world like Oblivion it probably wasn't a very realistic goal for this generation of hardware.

I pinged Pete Hines yesterday and he said SLI is up and running, but that they're "still sorting out Crossfire and whether it'll be supported straightaway."

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
thanks John.

thats my take on it as well. yeah, they removed the dynamic shadowing on interactive objects, wisely, but that the german video isn't indicative of how it will look.

John, do you know what they plan for shadows for buildings? i'm still not clear about that.

John Reynolds

Dec 6, 2005
Originally posted by: rise4310
John, do you know what they plan for shadows for buildings? i'm still not clear about that.

I have no idea, other than that it's not static shadow maps because of the game's day/night cycle.

tuteja1986

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2005
Oblivion will be heavily shader reliant since it was developed for XBOX 360 which has 48 shader . MY best guess is that it will work perfectly and look amazing on a R580 GPU. Oblivion is also Dual core ready :)
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/11/09/elder_scrolls_4_int/2.html

?Oblivion will absolutely benefit from a multi-processor or multi-core PC architecture. These improvements have largely been driven by our optimizations for the Xbox 360 hardware. We have built a dynamic thread management system that manages processor load by our specific direction and by priorities. Portions of physics, AI, loading, audio, and rendering tasks can all be moved to different threads to keep the overall load balanced. The net result for the end user is a smoother experience.?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I was about to preorder but I think I'll wait for reviews that show the game once it's released. I have to say I'm a bit of a graphics whore and those tech demo videos looked so amazing. I REALLY hope it looks similar to those vids.

nts

Nov 10, 2005
Oblivion Semi/Official Graphics card ranking (scroll down a bit)

on the really high end
[*]GeForce 7800GS (PCI-express version)
[*]Radeon X1800XL
[*]GeForce 7800GT
[*]GeForce 7800GTX
[*]Radeon X1800XT
[*]GeForce 7800GTX 512mb
[*]Radeon X1800XT Platinum Edition (preliminary ranking; based on results from BIOS flashes for the plain X1800XT)
[*]Radeon X1900 All-in-Wonder
[*]Radeon X1900XT
[*]Radeon X1900XTX

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Looks like official system requirements have been released:

What are the PC system requirements?

Recommended:
3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card